• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This isn’t really relevant to much but when it comes to wearing Hoodies under long coats I remember it distinctly from the Très-Bien brothers, that’s why I kept a hoodie for so long because those guys looked good.
Again, I know this isn’t something they invented, but they definitely popularized it and Kanye was probably influenced by them.

CA37248F-4CD3-4EB3-8F2A-0AFCDC80799A.jpeg

AF631C94-5069-48BB-932B-792ED4C17422.jpeg

A4F533E0-6D77-490A-8A7C-5340DC290CCF.jpeg

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s like some young director of a suspense movie saying he’s never seen a Hitchcock film. He may still be indirectly influenced by Hitch through others that were.
Kanye’s fashion sense can probably be traced back the Run DMCs My Addidas video or earlier.
In other words all the RRL guys are tryna be like Walt Whitman.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I repair clothing, I just use sewing machine type thread. usually it's jeans i'm repairing, both mine and my gf's. i like to patch with cotton duck, pieces of other clothes, the remainder of the hem that you got back after you had them hemmed, bandanas, whatever seems right colorwise. like @jet found, repairing pajamas doesn't work well--ime, they'll tear just above/below the repair you made within a few wears.

Monty Don's Italian Gardens is so good. My gf is partial to Big Dreams Small Spaces though.

One time my wife referred to a 1600ft2 house as a ti
This isn’t really relevant to much but when it comes to wearing Hoodies under long coats I remember it distinctly from the Très-Bien brothers, that’s why I kept a hoodie for so long because those guys looked good.
Again, I know this isn’t something they invented, but they definitely popularized it and Kanye was probably influenced by them.

They look gooood, especially considering how old those pics are. Tres Bien was where it was at for a long time.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Some do, but statistically, most of them are Kanye influenced. The ones who are not are often obviously and heavily influenced by something pre-Kanye, and are often part of an outsider culture. But odds are that any given individual was caught up on the zeitgeist.

Here's an easy test. If you can trace attraction of individual items back to something specific - a subculture, a person, an event, movie, any other specific media product, that predated Kanye, then okay. If not, you are probably Kanye influenced. I have liked leather jackets since the 90s, but I know that back then, neither I nor anyone I knew would have worn a double rider - it was the uniforms of MCs, and we had the real deal where I came from. Cool people were Cafe racers and Western-y dudes wore Type 3s, but a double Rider was a no go. And yet, at some point... I wanted one. I mean, I'm not a Kanye fan either, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't indirectly influenced by him either.

Tracing influences to one individual is perilous (and bullshit tbh) I know we're just shooting the **** here but double riders were quite present in fashion circles (already an influence on people like -gasp- Kanye) and did pop up on several celebrities post-SLP release. In othter words it was already a thing and these stars mainly picked it up from mainstream fashion brands with a wide distribution release and a lot of media presence, not exactly starting punk from the ground up, is it?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Since I came late to the game I am probably influenced by Kanye even though I haven’t been directly aware of him since his first cd. Own FBT’s, thinking about getting a hoodie and wearing it under a DR, etc.
Of course, the fact that I despise Kanye and would love to be original in style I’ll keep on wearing what I like in spite of his influence. Changing your style to avoid associations with Celebrities is pretty much as bad as changing it to emulate them.
Agree he looks bad in everything for the reasons Jet stated.

Honestly putting together a good outfit or owning a nice garment isn't some ******* genius move. If Hollywood surgery tan monster Mickey Rourke (just search for images of mickey's streetwear style it is quite something) wore a cool pair of jean and I'd be like, I like those jeans and think they could fit me well, I'd just buy jeans because Mickey Rourke monster wore them. Let's not elevate being a consumer too much here.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, also, when you live in a city with no interesting stores the only way to find the good stuff is online through places like this or instagram type sites. I can’t just wander into a shop and try on Yohji so I’ve gotta look at the way guys like The Shah and other great posters style it and find my way from there.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had a pair of thom browne pebble grain boots that i tried to sell for like 2 years. no one would come even come close to the asking price at 400.

one day lebron bought himself and the whole team TB suits with those boots and wore them to a game. the day after, i posted them on grailed for $600 and they sold within a few hours after a bunch of "yo fam" messages.

sometimes celebrities being 10 years behind pays :tongue:

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
i had a pair of thom browne pebble grain boots that i tried to sell for like 2 years. no one would come even come close to the asking price at 400.

one day lebron bought the himself and the whole team TB suits with those boots and wore them to a game. i posted them on grailed for $600 and they sold within a few hours after a bunch of "yo fam" messages.

sometimes celebrities being 10 years behind pays :tongue:

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/news...thom-browne-official-off-field-team-uniforms#

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tracing influences to one individual is perilous (and bullshit tbh) I know we're just shooting the **** here but double riders were quite present in fashion circles (already an influence on people like -gasp- Kanye) and did pop up on several celebrities post-SLP release. In othter words it was already a thing and these stars mainly picked it up from mainstream fashion brands with a wide distribution release and a lot of media presence, not exactly starting punk from the ground up, is it?
Well, it's not like Kanye is himself an original either. There are definitely a lot of people who predate him on some things, like his RRL period, for example, and yes, things like common projects and even double riders were fairly common here pre Kanye. However, if you aren't in that subgroup who say things like "ha, I was doing that, and now X celebrity is doing it!" for a specific brand, a specific trend, you are likely to be fooling yourself in which direction the influence is strongest.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the influence in current menswear trends can be tied directly to Brendon Babenzien and the crew at Nom de Guerre. They were making bombers, trickers and mackintosh collabs, Engineered Garments, Common Projects, Robert Gellar, etc. before I've seen it anywhere in the city.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, it's not like Kanye is himself an original either. There are definitely a lot of people who predate him on some things, like his RRL period, for example, and yes, things like common projects and even double riders were fairly common here pre Kanye. However, if you aren't in that subgroup who say things like "ha, I was doing that, and now X celebrity is doing it!" for a specific brand, a specific trend, you are likely to be fooling yourself in which direction the influence is strongest.

I never got the interest or how Kanye became a style maven. To me its like one of the greatest and most enduring troll jobs.
I have never seen him dressed in anything that made me say "wow!, interesting!
I have also seen the clothes he "designed" (he left a LOT of Samples at the last place i had a show). Saw them up close and personal and there is nothing interesting or unique about them.
I think we are at a stage in fashion, both from a design and a consumption standpoint where the bar has been beaten down so low that its more now about the cult of the personality than the clothing themselves.
there seems to be very few people with an original viewpoint anymore

Reactions: jet

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the influence in current menswear trends can be tied directly to Brendon Babenzien and the crew at Nom de Guerre. They were making bombers, trickers and mackintosh collabs, Engineered Garments, Common Projects, Robert Gellar, etc. before I've seen it anywhere in the city.
The original Isa store in Williamsburg that predated the Nom de Guerre run was incredible. There was nothing like it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We were taking about Engineered Garments on here before that, back before Odin was extant, based purely on the relationship between Gary @Drinkwaters and myself, and his history with Daiki. Other members like @jet contributed to the polarization of specific brands on the forum that have been attributed by those designers as their catalyst into the US market. And other sites from the same era, like Hypebeast, have had similar or larger footprints. However, it's important to acknowledge that sometimes you are the horse, and sometimes you are the cart.

Reactions: jet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads