1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

.[/QUOTE]
    I don't get why you don't just take Jet/Dlester/whoever else's words at face value. No shit everyone influence everyone we don't live in a style vacuum. That's not at all what Jet was saying.

Same with that American shit a few pages back, no one is disregarding cultural influence here we're talking about personal taste. We don't give a crap what Kanye is wearing or who he's influencing. Sometimes it's good, often it's bad.

I didn't particularly like the way jet framed it either but the reality is that Jay-Z's lyrics are pretty much straight anarcho-capitalist and the culture is brutally consumerist, and even Kanye himself reflected on this himself

2. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

That is not how I read it. Looks like Jet is saying that Kanye got in late (which he did) and should not be credited with innovating anything (since he didn’t). And if Kanye has moved on from something that he dabbled in, then who cares.

3. Jonas251

Jonas251 Well-Known Member

The points I referred to in perethesis were the specific notions which led me to make such assertion. The whole “was Kanye an influence or not” debate is another thing. I’m mostly just invested in defending nigo era bape (the honor of which, was unfairly assailed).

4. Zamb

Zamb Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

LOL, you cannot say its terrible when the whole effort is to make it terrible.
    I think she worked for Demna.......

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Feel like Demna should just go the whole hog and come out with a wearable barrel. Then see how many people wear it in the street and post on fashion boards about how the *quality* of the barrel is *amazing*

6. Jonas251

Jonas251 Well-Known Member

In regards to the “was Kanye influential” you guys should google “Kanye west karhu” and see how many articles were written about the one time Kanye wore karhu sneakers.

7. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

I can also google Tails kissing Sonic and find just as many results but it doesn't mean people outside of those that want to see tails kiss sonic care

8. conceptual 4est

Also how are you all going to talk about the advent of luxury sneakers and skip over the Prada America's Cup from the 90s

9. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

First, always in favor of bringing Sonic into things. Second, oddly specific with that one. Third, not that I have any skin in this game, but there's literally a fashion forum named after Kanye, whereas I don't think there's a, uh, kissing or video game forum named after Sonic and Tails kissing.

10. conceptual 4est

You must be very new to this internet thing then

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

*turns on private browsing*

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Eh... they looked great in pics, but didn’t really go with anything, unless maybe your life called for a lot of dark skinny suits with sneakers.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

@Rais Thank you! Love that backpack recommendation. Exactly what I was looking for.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm not disputing that this is their perception. I'm just pointing out that their personal tastes are not wholly their own, nor often even mostly their own. My personal opinion is that it's important to have an awareness of ones susceptibility to trend and that understanding of the origins of these trends is important if one is to have any type of autonomy. Ignorance only makes one more susceptible. I feel that this is widely acknowledged to be true. Otherwise, no one would care about, say, Cambridge Analytica.

15. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior Member

Since I came late to the game I am probably influenced by Kanye even though I haven’t been directly aware of him since his first cd. Own FBT’s, thinking about getting a hoodie and wearing it under a DR, etc.
    Of course, the fact that I despise Kanye and would love to be original in style I’ll keep on wearing what I like in spite of his influence. Changing your style to avoid associations with Celebrities is pretty much as bad as changing it to emulate them.
    Agree he looks bad in everything for the reasons Jet stated.