• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies, but I wear unstructured light jackets like this old one from Camoshita.

1625173400167.jpeg

It’s so light it’s barely a sports coat. Usually wear it with a polo or a t-shirt. I also really like my ziggy jacket from The Gigi. I wear both of these open with chinos and jeans but not tailored trousers. Also sneakers, so maybe this is not so CM.

I’m also a big fan of the painters jacket/shirt from De Bonne Facture. I wear that with tailored chinos and a shirt, and suede loafers.

I think most safari jackets are awful and look really out of place in a modern urban environment.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color is incredibly versatile; I have a blazer-suit in that shade and it's the only suit where the jacket might very well wear out before the pants, I use it so much. The problem is that safari jackets are inherently ridiculous if you're not either a drawing in an issue of Apparel Arts or some upper class twit named Sir Cyril Sedgwickethlow, 1st Earl Wickethlowthenshire, on a gap-year 1950s jaunt through Southern Rhodesia. If there's one other way that COVID screwed us, it's that for some godforsaken reason, the smart-casual-hybrid-WFH-future-of-tailoring movement made room for this relic. I know I'm in the extreme minority now and sound like a grumpy old man, but when you're all getting rid of these things in two years I am petty enough to remember when you got them, and will be there to yell I told you so.
For sure the Safari jacket will join the Gurkha trousers in the cemetary of the tacky tailoring trends.
You are correct. It's a ****** trend that no one will like in two years.
I think safari jackets don't work as well in finely finished fabrics that are typically used in sport coats. Example being my blue linen safari jacket. Treating them as a stand-in to tailoring doesn't work too well.

I firmly disagree on safari jackets not being useful overall though.

Safari jackets in workwear materials lends much better to the overall aesthetic. I've a cotton/linen one in cream, and another faded green in cotton. They work great year-round as an outer jacket, or as a mid-layer in winter. Here is my green one.

vBKxcur.jpeg

A safari jacket, in its essence, is basically just a field jacket, and no one bats an eyelash at that.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think safari jackets don't work as well in finely finished fabrics that are typically used in sport coats. Example being my blue linen safari jacket. Treating them as a stand-in to tailoring doesn't work too well.

Safari jackets in workwear materials lends much better to the overall aesthetic. I've a cotton/linen one in cream, and another faded green in cotton. They work great year-round as an outer jacket, or as a mid-layer in winter. Here is my green one.

vBKxcur.jpeg

A safari jacket, in its essence, is basically just a field jacket, and no one bats an eyelash at that.
Nice flipflops.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got Birks last week. Edward Greens for 700 feels like a steal but I've been bellyaching over 70 dollar Birks that will definitely get more wear than another Dover
That's pretty much it right there for me.

Loafers don't work well at all for my feet, nor do I like dress shoes much during weather like this.

I was surprised at how firm and supportive they felt when I tried on a pair, which is exactly what I like.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vBKxcur.jpeg

If I had to guess, I'd say that people dislike it for the waisted look the belt gives. Probably an overlap with those who dislike an obvious waist on jackets.

If you're in shape though, it's a plus.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say that people dislike it for the waisted look the belt gives. Probably an overlap with those who dislike an obvious waist on jackets.

If you're in shape though, it's a plus.
For sure. I think the jacket works even without the belt, and it looks more like a shirt jacket. Hard to go wrong IMO.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am surprised that I am the only one on team linen blend cardigan. But as others said, extreme weather dress supersedes sartorial comfort.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am surprised that I am the only one on team linen blend cardigan. But as others said, extreme weather dress supersedes sartorial comfort.

Actually sounds like a great idea - cotton/linen I guess? Did you have one made before, or where do you get these?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here a shaven Wingate confers with legendary US AAF Major Phil Cochran who wears an airborne jacket.
Similar functionality. Less elegant.

W-Insight-3-HT.jpg

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
For people who dislike safari jackets and want to stick to a CM aesthetic, what do you do for casual summer outerwear? And if you don't wear outerwear in the summer, what is your full outfit? Assuming you can't wear suits or sport coats.

I lived in DC and Boston for the past several summers and the dog days where you're sweating from just standing outside were too muggy for much of anything. For that I like a tipped polo or a poplin shirt with lightweight chinos, and nothing more. If I want to be a Fellows drawing, I have some longer polos that can be tucked into tropical worsted trousers, with a traddy belt and loafers. I also have spectators and white bucks, but putting that all together into one shot starts getting costumey.

No sense forcing a jacket of any sort; there's nothing elegant about being wet, sticky, and panting for air. In the evenings if the humidity lets up and a balmy breeze blows in, I might add either my blue tropical worsted jacket or a completely unstructured navy linen DB (a surprisingly neat Polo RL shacket thing with bi-swing shoulders and halfbelt that I got because of the brand, before I knew anything about clothes). But again, only if the weather allows.

"Everyone is a sartorialist till they get punched in the mouth (by swampy-ass East Coast air)"
-Mike Tyson, or something

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear asked for pics. This is a crappy one from a few weeks ago. I’m wearing suede loafers and the chinos are wide and super light cotton. I feel dressed but still keeping cool. The baseball cap is for protecting my noggin from the murderous sun on the way to work.

Attachments

• B5AAEFEC-E52A-43AE-8C11-A3EE6A984FC7.jpeg
    B5AAEFEC-E52A-43AE-8C11-A3EE6A984FC7.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 95

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually sounds like a great idea - cotton/linen I guess? Did you have one made before, or where do you get these?

There are linen/cotton blends and linen/lightweight wool blends. Thom Sweeney makes a 100% linen cardigan. Have not seen them in person, but they look nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads