• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about something like the Drakes games tunic?

View attachment 1633184

It's OK. Seems like a safari jacket by a different name.

I'm tepid on safari jackets, but think that CM doesn't do well outside of suits and sport coats, which is a problem in the summertime since it's sometimes too hot to wear a tailored jacket. But I'm interested in hearing what people do to solve this problem.

If people describe an outfit, I'd be curious to see examples in photos.

Shetterd

Reaction score

I know what you mean, but I think between the lack of a drawstring or belted waist, the slightly different collar, and no vents or pleats in the back, the details really make a difference in how it reads to me. Safari jackets seem to me instantly colonial, as @stuffedsuperdud said, but this is much more neutral in my eyes. Am struggling to put my finger on it exactly.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am on team Safari Jacket. I have a couple of the Rubinacci ones. The fabrics they get are great and I get a lot of wear out of them. They are a go to for airport travel with a scarf in the winter or for casual fridays in the summer with fresco trousers or jeans.

garigo

Reaction score

I'm tepid on safari jackets, but think that CM doesn't do well outside of suits and sport coats, which is a problem in the summertime since it's sometimes too hot to wear a tailored jacket. But I'm interested in hearing what people do to solve this problem.

I don't have any pictures, and not sure if it counts as CM, but I would totally wear a linen 3PB from The Armoury, sleeves rolled up on top of a shirt or even a t-shirt. I think it works really well both as a piece of outerwear, and indoors if you can't stand the AC. And IMHO this kind of versatility is very valuable and quite uncommon if you don't usually wear sport coats.

I would pair it with pretty much anything from jeans to chinos and tailored trousers.

qlvkeos8w46gwvnfvdya_402091f9-035d-4989-b693-0029170a2f6e.jpg

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of the Armoury's 3PB jacket as well as their road jacket that they just introduced. I think the road jacket looks better with CM since the jacket is cropped short and looks sloppy to me if you don't tuck in your shirt. The 3PB can be worn dressy or casual.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Safari jackets have to be counted as CM though, the 70s notwithstanding. They're sporting clothes, been used in military engagements and field excursions, date from at least the 19th century, etc.

For me, I prefer to wear outerwear as little as possible in the summer. But for the odd times it's necessary, and besides safaris and lightweight tailoring, I'd probably try something like a Harrington:

Harrington-Jacket-650-Ashley-Weston-Mens-Wardrobe-Essentials-2.jpg

Otherwise, usually more like this:

1621415-6ab49b2111357d0e7f09f39c3c5f114f.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For people who dislike safari jackets and want to stick to a CM aesthetic, what do you do for casual summer outerwear? And if you don't wear outerwear in the summer, what is your full outfit? Assuming you can't wear suits or sport coats.

You don't. If you have real humidity, you don't want layers.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have been wearing overshirts in linen from @Shirtmaven with the sleeves rolled up and left unbuttoned over a T-shirt and linen drawstring pants or ghurka shorts. On really hot days is baggies and a T tho.

-DL

I'm in the same boat, except substitute Carl's stuff for vintage linen button-fronts. I have a few double breast pocket, linen numbers from 1990s Ralph that are billowy and boxy and provide excellent breathability in summertime. A couple are even Western shirts :ducks:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, except substitute Carl's stuff for vintage linen button-fronts. I have a few double breast pocket, linen numbers from 1990s Ralph that are billowy and boxy and provide excellent breathability in summertime. A couple are even Western shirts :ducks:

What are "double breast pocket, linen numbers?" Do you mean a double-breasted shirt jacket? Is that basically an unstructured, unlined sport coat?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Nah, I'd classify them as work shirts that, due to their 90s cut, end up looking like long-sleeved "shackets." In reality just linen button-fronts with two pockets affixed to the chest. I wear them open over open-weave cotton tees or (GASP) poly-cotton tees and their baggy cuts/proportions create the feel/look of outerwear. It gets too hot/humid in the South for anything with real structure.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nah, I'd classify them as work shirts that, due to their 90s cut, end up looking like long-sleeved "shackets." In reality just linen button-fronts with two pockets affixed to the chest. I wear them open over open-weave cotton tees or (GASP) poly-cotton tees and their baggy cuts/proportions create the feel/look of outerwear.

Do you happen to have photos?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, when I went to Cambodia + Vietnam on my last trip B.C, I think I brought:

White cotton/linen trousers - flat front, < 8 inch leg opening, no cuff. These render a look a bit closer to white jeans than seriously tailored - I don't iron a crease into them.
Dove grey linen trousers - flat front, crease, 1.75 cuff
Possibly brought Eidos NMWA Sal "donegal" grey silk linen pleated trousers, 1.75 cuff

Shirts:
a couple long sleeve white linen
a indigo blue blue japan short sleeve print from NMWA
a white short sleeve guayabera.

Brown suede pennies, brown leather woven loafers.

That was basically what I typically had to work with for the post evening shower + pre-dinner re-attire.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Do you happen to have photos?

Anything for you, Derek! :)

Here's one example of each, based on what was readily hanging in the closet.

The first is a muted olive, 100% linen shirt. The second, a faded blue Western shirt, is also 100% linen. The third is the traditional Polo Ralph Lauren Dungaree chambray.

I buttoned them to better display the pocket situations, but I almost exclusively wear them open with shorts or linen pents.

Linen 1.jpg

Linen 2.jpg
Chambray 1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads