• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
I received my last commission in May, however as it was a wedding suit I obviously had better things to do than posting pictures :) Now I finally have some time, so here it is. It was my sixth suit from the same tailor, so I was quite confident that it will turn out fine, however looking at the pictures now I must say that it even exceeded my expectations.
D93591BF-0ADB-4D1F-8289-9782453E5704.jpeg

FBAAC548-8165-4CB6-A141-00A359609427.jpeg

5384E0A0-82E6-4F0C-88A2-1ED87B30EE9C.jpeg

F55A34EF-7647-4935-93E1-D3C641A07186.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This isn't really an "ongoing bespoke" project, but I wasn't sure if there's a better thread for this question.

Has anyone ever had trousers made with frog mouth pockets? Any thoughts on the style, in terms of how it fits coherently into an outfit?

I'm thinking about getting some trousers made in Bedford cord. On-seam and regular slanted pockets seem odd for this cloth? But I've also never had trousers made with frog pockets. Does anyone have thoughts on the style? FWIW, I'm hoping to wear this with tweed sport coats. (cc'ing @Bromley since I think he has frog mouth pants)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't really an "ongoing bespoke" project, but I wasn't sure if there's a better thread for this question.

Has anyone ever had trousers made with frog mouth pockets? Any thoughts on the style, in terms of how it fits coherently into an outfit?

I'm thinking about getting some trousers made in Bedford cord. On-seam and regular slanted pockets seem odd for this cloth? But I've also never had trousers made with frog pockets. Does anyone have thoughts on the style? FWIW, I'm hoping to wear this with tweed sport coats. (cc'ing @Bromley since I think he has frog mouth pants)

I've thought of this for cord or maybe even moleskin, but I haven't done any bespoke in either material to this point.

I think a frogmouth would look very good personally with cords and in a more countryfied outfit.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That sounds like a great opportunity to try frogmouth pockets. I have them on a variety of different trousers because I really like them. They feel a little casual and sporty to me, although they're hardly ever visible if you're usually wearing a sportcoat. I think they look nice with sweaters. If you've got your hands in your pockets, your stance is more like if you're wearing jeans, which lends to the casual effect. I'd say go for it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That sounds like a great opportunity to try frogmouth pockets. I have them on a variety of different trousers because I really like them. They feel a little casual and sporty to me, although they're hardly ever visible if you're usually wearing a sportcoat. I think they look nice with sweaters. If you've got your hands in your pockets, your stance is more like if you're wearing jeans, which lends to the casual effect. I'd say go for it.

Do you have any thoughts on the other stylistic details on the pants?

Seems like there are multiple ways to do this. Many frog mouth bespoke trousers have an angled pocket, like this. This one has a mix of casual and dressy elements, too. The pick stitching along the edge of the pocket. Plus the side tabs and the rest of the trouser construction just look like a frog mouth pocket was slapped onto a pair of normal bespoke trousers. This seems ... odd to me?

mason-sons-cavalry-twill-trousers-frogmouth-pocketsg.jpe

I'm leaning towards a curvier pocket. I don't know if this qualifies as a frog mouth:

MT129BIS2.jpeg

This one seems to follow the same curvy line, but the top of the pocket drops down at a 90 degree angle before curving out. Don't know if this puts less stress on the seam.

700_600_scale.jpeg

But I think the style maybe looks best when the other trouser details are casual? Like lapped seams going down the leg? I'm wondering if a normal, single needle stitch down the leg might look odd with frog mouth pockets and if a more coherent pair of pants would have other casualizing details.

gurteen-denver-easy-care-trousers-1.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those yours? If so, what made you opt for the single rear tab closure over sides? Now that WFH is finally (somewhat) coming to a close, I need to get around to actually wearing pants again, and was thinking of something similar after seeing some of Alan's stuff. Imagine I'd still always opt for suspenders given my rise preference, but curious if this provides additional/alternate functionality.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those yours? If so, what made you opt for the single rear tab closure over sides? Now that WFH is finally (somewhat) coming to a close, I need to get around to actually wearing pants again, and was thinking of something similar after seeing some of Alan's stuff. Imagine I'd still always opt for suspenders given my rise preference, but curious if this provides additional/alternate functionality.

No, it was an inspiration picture I saved for the front pockets. I like belted loops for odd trousers and side tabs for suits. I see no point in having a side tab in the back fwiw.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any thoughts on the other stylistic details on the pants?

Seems like there are multiple ways to do this. Many frog mouth bespoke trousers have an angled pocket, like this. This one has a mix of casual and dressy elements, too. The pick stitching along the edge of the pocket. Plus the side tabs and the rest of the trouser construction just look like a frog mouth pocket was slapped onto a pair of normal bespoke trousers. This seems ... odd to me?

View attachment 1636697

I'm leaning towards a curvier pocket. I don't know if this qualifies as a frog mouth:

View attachment 1636700

This one seems to follow the same curvy line, but the top of the pocket drops down at a 90 degree angle before curving out. Don't know if this puts less stress on the seam.

View attachment 1636698

But I think the style maybe looks best when the other trouser details are casual? Like lapped seams going down the leg? I'm wondering if a normal, single needle stitch down the leg might look odd with frog mouth pockets and if a more coherent pair of pants would have other casualizing details.

View attachment 1636699
A couple of those pics are getting really, really close to the old Sans-a-belt slacks. Not really a look I expected to come back!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, it was an inspiration picture I saved for the front pockets. I like belted loops for odd trousers and side tabs for suits. I see no point in having a side tab in the back fwiw.
That would be a...back tab, would it not?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a cinch back, sometimes called a buckle back. The detail is a bit too costume-y for me, but it's popular with guys who like vintage clothes. I think it looks better on workwear pants and/ or jeans.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a cinch back, sometimes called a buckle back. The detail is a bit too costume-y for me, but it's popular with guys who like vintage clothes. I think it looks better on workwear pants and/ or jeans.
It seems like the sort thing that would catch on one's Aeron...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
putseller96