• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Just found this pic of JFK with button-down collar and tie.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found this pic of JFK with button-down collar and tie.

View attachment 1209064

JFK always wore the Ivy League look until a certain point— I believe that being when he was running for president—when he eschewed the buttondown collars and sack coats for a more “universal”(generic) look to appeal to everyone. I think one of his brothers or advisors encouraged this.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what collar styles do you wear with a tie? 'You' as in you personally.

I like ties, but I pretty much only have button-down shirts atm, and I have this idea that a tie with a button-down collar is 'American', but not in a good way.

Button-down shirts were made to be worn with ties in a casual manner: under sport jackets, blazers, sweaters/jumpers, safari jackets?. They were a sport shirt from the get-go.
That being said, 95% of the time I’ll wear a button-down shirt open without a tie.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JFK always wore the Ivy League look until a certain point— I believe that being when he was running for president—when he eschewed the buttondown collars and sack coats for a more “universal”(generic) look to appeal to everyone. I think one of his brothers or advisors encouraged this.
It’s interesting how JFK is now regarded as an icon f style as he was a bit of a schlub particularly in his youth. It was his missus who encouraged him to polish up his act, which may have coincided around the time he got into politics but there’s a fairly clear distinction between his rumpled sacks then his sharper conservative style. Away from the office he favoured comfortable threads hence the many pics of him in polo and chinos wearing shades on the yacht etc.

A bunch of us wore Ben Sherman type shirts with suits and ties during the revival period but we were largely sheep back then trying to conform to a look rather than show an interest in edging up to the boundaries and beyond. I think outside of that period BD plus tie is accepted as a much more American look. See Cary Grant in ‘The Bishop’s Wife’ - sack suit, BD and tie.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been rummaging around in the loft and found some photo albums that I haven't looked at for 20 years or so. They span across from me aged 16 up to my mid 20s. Just a few that I've chosen.
IMG_7571.JPG

Me and school mates aged 16, note me in cycling shoes and other mate in bowlers, circa 1982.
IMG_7573.JPG
IMG_7572.JPG
IMG_7574.JPG

Me and best mate aged 17 and my 1st scooter, circa 1983.
IMG_7576.JPG
IMG_7575.JPG

Circa 1984
IMG_7577.JPG
IMG_7578.JPG

My 2nd scooter under going work hence the lack of panels, and me in jacket from demob in London same as one worn by Weller in Shout to the top video, circa 1985.
IMG_7586.JPG

At Mod rally down South circa 1989.
IMG_7581.JPG
IMG_7583.JPG

Mod rally circa 1990, plenty of blue mohair on show.
IMG_7584.JPG
Y
IMG_7587.JPG
IMG_7585.JPG

Mod rallies circa 1990
IMG_7579.JPG

Circa 1991
IMG_7570.JPG
IMG_7568.JPG
IMG_7569.JPG

Me with crop and braces circa1988.
IMG_7580.JPG

My last scooter after restoration.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting how JFK is now regarded as an icon f style as he was a bit of a schlub particularly in his youth. It was his missus who encouraged him to polish up his act, which may have coincided around the time he got into politics but there’s a fairly clear distinction between his rumpled sacks then his sharper conservative style. Away from the office he favoured comfortable threads hence the many pics of him in polo and chinos wearing shades on the yacht etc.

A bunch of us wore Ben Sherman type shirts with suits and ties during the revival period but we were largely sheep back then trying to conform to a look rather than show an interest in edging up to the boundaries and beyond. I think outside of that period BD plus tie is accepted as a much more American look. See Cary Grant in ‘The Bishop’s Wife’ - sack suit, BD and tie.

@thinwhiteduke Yeah but people have been breaking sartorial “rules” forever. For instance there’s a photo of (If I remember correctly) Tony Bennet wearing a button-down with a tuxedo. Also possibly the same fellow wearing cufflinks with a button-down shirt. As we’ve seen in this thread over the years, just because there are photos in evidence doesn’t mean it was a regular practice.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Been rummaging around in the loft and found some photo albums that I haven't looked at for 20 years or so. They span across from me aged 16 up to my mid 20s. Just a few that I've chosen. View attachment 1209110
Me and school mates aged 16, note me in cycling shoes and other mate in bowlers, circa 1982. View attachment 1209112 View attachment 1209111 View attachment 1209113
Me and best mate aged 17 and my 1st scooter, circa 1983. View attachment 1209115 View attachment 1209114
Circa 1984 View attachment 1209117 View attachment 1209118
My 2nd scooter under going work hence the lack of panels, and me in jacket from demob in London same as one worn by Weller in Shout to the top video, circa 1985.
View attachment 1209120
At Mod rally down South circa 1989.
View attachment 1209124 View attachment 1209125
Mod rally circa 1990, plenty of blue mohair on show.
View attachment 1209126 Y View attachment 1209128 View attachment 1209127
Mod rallies circa 1990 View attachment 1209129
Circa 1991 View attachment 1209132 View attachment 1209130 View attachment 1209131
Me with crop and braces circa1988. View attachment 1209133
My last scooter after restoration.
Great pics

No offence to anyone here, but sticking to the ''rules'' 100 percent all the time is boring.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His whole “rules” business is kinda boring to me. We’re all bound by conventions to some extent or else we’d leave the house in flippers and a kilt. On any one day I could be wearing an outfit that is right in the middle of the canonical look and on another just very vaguely compliant.

However, KNOWING the rules and how you might be bending them is better than ignoring them and looking like a tit.

Thanks for this, that just summarises nicely what I’m on about! Let’s move it along now eh?

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His whole “rules” business is kinda boring to me. We’re all bound by conventions to some extent or else we’d leave the house in flippers and a kilt. On any one day I could be wearing an outfit that is right in the middle of the canonical look and on another just very vaguely compliant.

I don't see what your problem is with kilt and flippers, they are very popular around my way and no one would dream of going to a porridge supper, wearing anything else . Obviously, a tie would be worn as well with an appropriate Jacobite style , button down collar , Ghillie shirt. .

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously claymore optional
Obviously , it depends entirely on which part of the country you are in . .Sometimes the rozzers are non too impressed with the whole Claymore thing , indeed l'd be lying if I told you that they are all happy with the carrying of the Skean Dubh , I mean laces are one thing but l must concede that l can see their point about a dagger down yer sock. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics