• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I kind of like the bottom button undone, makes the suit flare out a bit, looks alright buttoned at the bottom but perhaps a bit more rigid.

The arms end just below the knobbly bit on the wrist, not too long imo, my awkward lurch while looking at the camera doesnt help.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Donkey, I like the suit a lot it reminds me of one that I had made in the late 80's. I think that a DB suit is fine without a tie, just because someone's manual says it should be worn with a tie, doesn't make it right, just look at photos of bands etc over the years to show this. What shoes do you have in mind to wear with it, again I wouldn't necessarily go with the obvious choices.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Never been a massive fan of ties to be honest, just prefer an open neck, looks a bit too formal with a tie imo, while without it still looks smart but more ''street'' i will wear this suit even just knocking about when the weather permits.

For footwear i just wear my boots with it, my 6 eye 70s boots and my monkey boots. I don't have any shoes anymore because i wear them out faster than boots.

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonkeyJacket1 earlier today, something a bit more formal

carter-cl1-overview.jpg

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Get them sleeves adjusted so we can see your shirt cuffs.
A DB is a formal look, needs a tie IMO.
General fit looks very good from what can be seen.

Out of curiosity, what collar styles do you wear with a tie? 'You' as in you personally.

I like ties, but I pretty much only have button-down shirts atm, and I have this idea that a tie with a button-down collar is 'American', but not in a good way.

Inkss

Reaction score
Never been a massive fan of ties to be honest, just prefer an open neck, looks a bit too formal with a tie imo, while without it still looks smart but more ''street'' i will wear this suit even just knocking about when the weather permits.

For footwear i just wear my boots with it, my 6 eye 70s boots and my monkey boots. I don't have any shoes anymore because i wear them out faster than boots.
What about a roll-neck/turtleneck ?

pressuredrop

Reaction score

Someone has to say it:

A cravat might also work, for the less formal man-about-town look.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what collar styles do you wear with a tie? 'You' as in you personally.

I like ties, but I pretty much only have button-down shirts atm, and I have this idea that a tie with a button-down collar is 'American', but not in a good way.
Well I’m not American but coming up on 30 years living here ...

I don’t like buttonndown shirts with ties. Like you say it’s an American Trad / Ivy look but I’m just not personally a fan. I had a bit of a mental block on BD shirts for a long time but finally got a few and they look decent under a blazer and I like the way the collar stands up better than say a polo which might slide under the collar of the jacket.

Most of my work shirts I wear with jacket / suit and tie are Tyrwhitt. I don’t like cutaway collars. I have a couple of wider spreads but most are medium spread (say 45 degrees?) and medium length - long enough to reach my jacket lapels. Take a look at my pics on the blog. I don’t think there’s any specific ‘Mod’ detail about my shirts but nothing too far from the canon either. Sorta middle of the road.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s a navy double breasted pin stripe suit - you can’t get much more formal than that below a dinner suit!!

I don’t suggest you wear a tie due to some “rule” but there are certain conventions which we can of course choose to follow or ignore. These conventions evolve either due to some sort of social groupthink or maybe because bordering on the objective certain thinks just look better. The open neck looks OK but in my OPINION the formality of that suit suggests it might look better with a tie. And get some shoes man. I can’t think of any clodhopping boots that would do that suit justice! Some shined up Loake 1880 brogues in burgundy or black would match up perfectly.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't find many pictures of the precise suits and jackets I'm talking about, but I can assure you that not all Mod fashions of the 1960s emulated American/Ivy styles. The more peacock trend experimented with such things as the gangster look, and the regency dandy look. Double-breasted suits had flair/flare to them, and chalk-stripes were fairly common, even in single-brested suits.

Here are two or three instant examples. I may search for more.

dbs1.jpg

dbs2.jpg

dbs3.jpg

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
It’s a navy double breasted pin stripe suit - you can’t get much more formal than that below a dinner suit!!

I don’t suggest you wear a tie due to some “rule” but there are certain conventions which we can of course choose to follow or ignore. These conventions evolve either due to some sort of social groupthink or maybe because bordering on the objective certain thinks just look better. The open neck looks OK but in my OPINION the formality of that suit suggests it might look better with a tie. And get some shoes man. I can’t think of any clodhopping boots that would do that suit justice! Some shined up Loake 1880 brogues in burgundy or black would match up perfectly.

i try and ignore the social group think these days mate, i do what makes me happy most of all, i have always preferred suits without ties and with shades, does look a bit more ''gangsterish'' another reason i bought the suit tbh.

As for boots, its just function over style mainly these days as i don't have my trousers short now, 99 percent of people on the street don't really notice from my experience.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Well I’m not American but coming up on 30 years living here ...

I don’t like buttonndown shirts with ties. Like you say it’s an American Trad / Ivy look but I’m just not personally a fan. I had a bit of a mental block on BD shirts for a long time but finally got a few and they look decent under a blazer and I like the way the collar stands up better than say a polo which might slide under the collar of the jacket.

Most of my work shirts I wear with jacket / suit and tie are Tyrwhitt. I don’t like cutaway collars. I have a couple of wider spreads but most are medium spread (say 45 degrees?) and medium length - long enough to reach my jacket lapels. Take a look at my pics on the blog. I don’t think there’s any specific ‘Mod’ detail about my shirts but nothing too far from the canon either. Sorta middle of the road.

I'll admit I quite like the clean look of Italian cutaway collars. I understand they're supposed to be more 'modern', though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads