• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Yes,Skinhead Crown Jewels....
biggrin.gif

A Classic statement browniecj........which led me to
smile.gif

"In Royals Footsteps"

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Interesting interview of Gill Evans. So before Modernists there were Continentalists...

I red the other day in "Le Monde" an interesting article called "Avec les vieux minets" . I translate a little portion:

"A few days ago there was a free distribution of Champagne in the street, just on the front of the Renoma shop. The Renoma company was celebrating it's 50th birthday. The party was in the shop's basement. On the door there was a press-cut from 1964 where you could read: "There are 2 or 3 mercedes, one Ferrari and one Triumph outside the shop. Inside, boys, very neat, got longuish and curly hair in the neck, and a nice sun tan. Maurice (Renoma) is preparing a dress for B.B..."
Two old ladies who used to work in the shop, remember their clients : Jackie Kennedy, Mick Jagger, Brigitte Bardot... And they speak of their usual customers back then: les minets, like those from the Drugstore gang.
The Minets came tonight. They are in their seventies now, but they still got style. No question for them to be dressed like everybody. Maurice (Renoma) is very smart. he's got a black fitted jacket. He could have wore the same in the sixties. It's just a matter of style".

Last edited:

loveciyjob

Reaction score
There's almost too much delineation here. People tend to erect Chinese walls round these groups and in fact things were just a tadge more fluid.
ncQCpv
When I wasn't yet in my teens I saw teddy boys gravitate from drapes and crepes to Italian "bum-freezers" and winkle-pickers. Some went eventually towards the rockers, some towards the mods, but then the guys from another town that you might have fought at the beach weren't a lot different from the guys in your school or workplace that you actually got on with. The beatniks started in the 1950s; many were jazz fans, and a lot of those would have gravitated to modern jazz and a "cool" way of dressing, and maybe eventually towards the mod scene. The guys singing in your beatnik clip were singing songs by Leadbelly and Willie Dixon, which the mates of the guy who lived next door to me (a couple of years older than me) were listening to on their record players - and they were early 60s Northern mods. Some of the mid 60s beatniks on your clip would have gone on to become hippies...
Ok your right about that, I do realize that you can't really put it in some sort of black & white picture. And that people tend to move more fluidly as you put it. Still isn't it so that Hippie as a culture wasn't exactly an entirely new Phenomenon. That's why I mentioned the Beatniks, since as a culture it was kinda similarish. The complete newsreel does show mods, rockers and beatniks.

Last edited:

harrysgame

Reaction score

His story doesn't ring true if he is 53 years old, as stated. If he was born in 1953 it is more believable. Its quite close to some of my own memories, except for the violence. We generally only fought with boys our own age (usually at football) and mirror images of ourselves. Any aggro was incidental, except at football matches. We were only interested in having a good time. Other people were invisible to us.

That article is from 2010 so hes 56/7 now. Mark is well known on the scene and a decent bloke.

ek77

Reaction score

Well Ek, so it's 5% maybe? To tell the truth, i don't know, but the skins you hear of here lately are usually the far right guys... 

maybe you are just to long out of the scene.. and of course you only hear just about the right or the bad guys... the good ones make no headlines... ;)

and now back to the sixties/seventies..

catchourbreath

Reaction score
In this famous picture "Lunch atop a skycraper" some workers are supposed to wear Red Wings, i think the "Iron rangers" type. Some friends of mine got them, they are good looking and sturdy, the leather and color are great. Not cheap though.

I've seen them in person and worn daily by a friend of mine. Def worth the money.

Lerk

Reaction score
Been looking some for a sheepskin, but i'm sorta having second thoughts; How well do they cope with rain? Will it ruin it? This is one rainy town

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Interesting to hear about les Minets still keeping it up! Thanks for sharing.
Pics from the Renoma party in Paris, October 22, 2013. Notice the decoration around the golden years of Renoma. The old Minets were there indeed... Some originals from the "Drug".

I think this gentleman is on the picture behind him...

And this:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads