1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Another Track,not listed,but was played during the mid 60s Roosevelt Grier - Slow Drag.

2. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Funny that two posters recalled the Soul Brothers song, it's one of the more obscure ones I had heard of as it was on the soundtrack to the book 'Sweet Soul Music: Rhythm and Blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom' by Peter Guralnick that mainly had southern soul stuff on it but it was top drawer stuff like O.V. Wright.

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Hi morganswallow

I can't recall seeing the plain or brogue Royals in brown. Not saying they didn't - I certainly remember the Royal Gibson in brown as a friend of mine had some in early 1970 and we were green with envy.

I think you are right about the stitching on the toes. browniecj - I think you put up a picture in the past but I can't find it now...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I put it on Facebook,unable to transfer it over.....

5. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Absolutely not. The idea was that they should be wide fitting. This is how braces started to be worn originally because some would wear them a size larger (and therefore slightly wider) and you needed braces to get them to hang right. In the north, Wranglers were favoured by many because they were wider than Levi's. If you look at the lads sat on the wall in post 21231 you can see how wide the jeans were.

1 person likes this.
  6. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Maybe these ?
    [​IMG]

7. con man

con man Senior member

One thing I do dislike about my generation of Skinheads, is the fact that some did wear skintight jeans, personally I would never wear my jeans that tight, It's a God awful look, and mainly because, I have got matchstick like legs, not to bad on girls with nice backsides, I reckon a lot didn't alter their jeans to make them tight, because during the early to mid 80's , a lot of Jean manufacturers made stretch jeans, efffffing awful things.........
    Also, I don't think skintight jeans, was just an 80's thing we have all seen the strange set of photos, of the 3 Skinheads from the original period, in "Ahem," very odd poses, with tight jeans on.

8. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

I guess my reason for asking this was due to the limit STF might shrink. I've been wearing STF for a few years now and have always had a certain "look" in my mind for the way jeans should look. I've seen plenty of photos from the 30s-50s of people wearing absurdly large cuff denim, assuming they were not shrunk yet or it may have just been the look of the time. When seeing some of the photos of the original era especially it seems like things might have been worn a bit tighter or a bit more tapered then I've been successful in getting 501s to shrink to.

9. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Those look nearly identical to some church's I have laying around.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

That's true, but i think there is still a difference between well fitted jeans and the awful 'skinny jeans' look. The 3 originals wear their jeans well fitted but not skintight on the ankles, like the one on this picture, who is in much nicer company...
    [​IMG]

BTW, i remember the 80s stretch jeans, a nightmare...
    In the time you were never disappointed with Levi's, and they were a prized possession i'd never had the idea to alter in a way or another.

1 person likes this.
  11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I often wonder where we got the 'loosened tie' style from. Maybe Ol' Blue-Eyes had something to do with it...

[​IMG]

.... not to mention the trilby!

Okay this is off-musical-topic, but it shows Frank in relaxed mode with tie loosened, recording a song in a single take.

1 person likes this.
  12. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Apologies, that should be post 21231 - posted a couple of days ago by Clouseau.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Those were Smooths not Gibsons......Lasttye put those up Clouseau.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Roytonboy, i think you mean post 21209

Gee.. I still don't get the difference between Smooths and Gibsons [​IMG]

15. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

This is the one I mean! (Wide fitting jeans)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  16. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

The jeans in the pic remind me of a pair of Samurai jeans I have. I believe Roytonboy or one of the other early posters on this thread put a pic of a pair of their Samurai 5001xx(or whatever) up yonks ago. They're supposedly extremely close in character to the '60s and '70s Levis, and made on them old shuttle looms.
    It seems like two factors are involved in the, ahem, drape of the jeans: shrink-to-fit factor and the actual weight of the denim. I'm guessing most of today's Levis, etc., come in a 9-12 oz weight. The Samurais I have are 16 or 17 oz., giving them an entirely different drape and character.

A question for the Originals on here: did the jeans back then seem "thicker" or more robust than today's run-of-the-mill jeans?

And to back up Monsieur Clouseau, what IS the difference between smooths and gibsons?

17. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Yes, Levi's certainly were.

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Smooths had Plain Tops(as seen in Picture),Gibsons had an Apron around the top of the Shoe and then the Stitching came down in front of Shoe.

Result today in T.K.Maxx.Something I would have worn during the "Mod" time -Black Suede Sebago Loafer,normally Retail about £160.00.,£30.00 Deal done .....:)

19. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Interesting clip from 1970 here,by that time BT and the MG's had gone all 'hairy' but their music was still as tight as a bum freezer jacket! Wonder if they had toured the UK at that time if any skinheads would have turned up to their shows? Nice tele here btw of Steve Cropper...

Booker T. & The MG's - Time Is Tight (Live, 1970)

20. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Well when we did go to gigs, nine times out of ten the artistes were wearing nothing like what we wore anyway, so no big deal. :)

I had the privilege of seeing three out of the four BT&MGs here at Perth within the last 5 years. Yeah the Colonel played a Tele for years, until Peavey sponsored a signature guitar. That incredible solo on 'Green Onions' was a Tele.

By the way, there's a wonderful, rather piss-takey version of the same number by the Shadows in 1983, if you let it run on from that video, with Welch and Marvin pretending to be Parfitt and Rossi at one point.