• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

elwood

Reaction score
Yeah, I know - I put it there! But now I come to think about it, when Jason drew that I think we were still debating what the title would be.
MoM, in answer to your question, I also thought "Walk Proud" was the title. For what it's worth, I think "Walk Proud" has a bit more immediacy and impact than "Walking Proud" - but only my opinion.

elwood

Reaction score
My first Tassles Loafers were around 1971 I think? Similar to these. I remember that having the horizontal Heel Seam was quite important.Mine may have been Saxone?

Gsvs5, could your tassel loafers c.1971 have been Timpsons? I've posted before about the "Royals Collection" they sold in that period - tassel loafers with a good thick sole and a horizontal heel seam were part of that range. They were available in black and oxblood. Very nice shoe as I recall. Not as commonly seen round my way as the longwing brogue in the range.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
No ,I would have remembered if they were part of the Royal's range as my mates all had the Brogues and I didn't !

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Very similar ,but mine had a more pointed/chisel toe,as opposed to the almond/round shape.They were different to most of the ones being worn,but were the only ones I could find in my size at that time that were decent quality with a leather sole etc.
Pretty much the same as these but with a tassle.

yankmod

Reaction score
MoM, in answer to your question, I also thought "Walk Proud" was the title. For what it's worth, I think "Walk Proud" has a bit more immediacy and impact than "Walking Proud" - but only my opinion.
M.O.M.I agree with elwood. "Walk Proud" Reads better( what I mean by reads better is it sounds better,two quick syllables) Obviously you do what you like it's your Work.TA

Basset

Reaction score
Gsvs5, could you're 1971 tassel loafers could have been those? (Vintage Loake salisbury)

Similar to the first pair of loafers i owned around 79/80, they weren't what i was after tbh, my favourites having a rounder toe with basketweave to the vamp, never owned a pair, always nice to have something on the wanted list

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

M.O.M.I agree with elwood. "Walk Proud" Reads better( what I mean by reads better is it sounds better,two quick syllables) Obviously you do what you like it's your Work.TA 

Ours rather than mine, but I think I see the consensus here. Thanks everyone.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ours rather than mine, but I think I see the consensus here. Thanks everyone.

The reason why I suggested "Walking Proud",in the first place,was because it was a Reggae Tune so connected to us.Secondly there was something that had "Walk Proud" on it,that had the stereotype Skinhead image on it.I thought with the Book,we are showing the other side to what the Media projected.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basset, I dont know if your mate is still after those boots ,but if you look on e;bay in mens shoes there are some of the Sanders ones £85 plus postage,theres only a few sizes.You once mentioned an Italian tailor on here ( i think ) was he in or near Bristol and would you recommend him? i want to get a jacket and maybe some trousers made.

buttons

Reaction score

Good idea for private blog or whatever is needed and shout for any help Saw this on "bookseekers agency" web page
[COLOR=000000]
walk%20proud%20sample.jpg
image (c) Jason Hue [/COLOR]​
[COLOR=000000] Skinheads from 1969 in their own words[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]This exciting project is bringing together people who were 'there' in the UK in the late 1960s. Will they reinforce the stereotype or blow it to kingdom come? What was it all about - working class pride, the tail end of the mods, more than just boots and braces?[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=000000]We're looking for more contributors, so if you were young at that time, get in touch! [/COLOR]​
Well lads, its only my opinion and its not my book, but I'm not over keen on the title. It depends on a lot of things but partly on who you want to sell the book to. If its just people on this site, then it could be anything as they'll all buy it anyway. If its out for public consumption, it needs to grab your attention (hopefully without being too tacky or overstated) whether you're a skinhead, ex skinhead or just someone interested in style, fashion or youth culture. Walking Proud - whilst I get the reggae connection (and its always nice to have a subtle undertone for those in the know), most people won't get it, so Walking Proud or Walk Proud are pretty equal. But whilst its documenting the transition from Mod, through skinhead and out the other side, its focus is on style (from what I can gather, and largely why I carry on reading it every day and get involved). "Walk Proud" doesn't give any clues to the subject matter (not without a sub-title, anyway). If I saw a book called Walk Proud, apart from giving it no more than half a second's attention, if I was going to consider it a bit further, I'd think it was about a bloke who had his leg blew off in the war but in the face of diversity went on to walk 10 marathons for charity. Or maybe the details behind the collaboration between Honda and Nasa to make the first robot that walked on two legs like a human. Or the trials and tribulations of a closet homosexual who lived in the rough end of 60s Soho. Maybe the tail of a cartoon duck who despite his broken wing and lots of piss taking off his duck mates, managed to keep his bill up around the ponds of Berkshire. I know that's all nonsense, but ye get what I mean. And if I saw that red white and blue image above, I'd think it was yet another skinhead book, with lot of pictures of lads in awful jeans and rotten tattoos, posing with bull dogs and union flags and contributions from ex revival skinheads who put their hand over their chest and say "I'll always be a skinhead at heart" when really their a fat middle aged bloke with a bald head and Samba plimsolls who used to like Madness. If you just want to attract lots of skinhead types and sell a few books, call it "Boss Skinheads '69 A way of Life" (although personally I'd die of shame) but in loving memory of the last 500 pages of informative chit chat, I believe it deserves more respect. I know its easy to criticize from the wings. "So why don't you suggest something better one then?", I hear you cry .... So far, I haven't got the ideal title, cos its not that obvious. If one springs to mind, I'll let you know so you can constructively slag it off. In the mean time, I'm sure there's loads of work to do, which means loads more time to come up with a title. Buttons

yankmod

Reaction score
browniecj and buttons make some good arguments.I agree with buttons Re:The title being half the marketing of the book.A good title will sell itself.And there are the stereotypes to avoid as well.I think the title will work itself out.Gotta have faith in the creative process.Remember the accidents and unexpected is the fun of "creating".I say ''your" book M.O.M.cause your the cat doin the work.I'm still pushing for a giant coffee table book cause the photos would look great.TA

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads