1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

HaHa..good job your on the case Clouseau.
    BTW,were Argyle pattern socks ever popular in Paris ?

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Yep, all the 80s minets wore Burlington argyle. And they are back in fashion for two or three years.

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Some great 'new' pics - thanks fellas! :nodding:

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Could be but I don't recall them from the time.

That pic is interesting in that the girl leaning against the wall (who does look well turned out to me) seems to want to distance herself from the rest. If so, I can see why!

5. Mr Knightley

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that they are pvc white boots,they pulled up and had elastic around the top,I remember girls ( not skinhead girls ) wearing them about then .
    As for Tweed it was regarded ( here ) much as you said about Oxford shoes,a bit staid and boring..later I remember girls wearing tweed flares and later again tweed skirts.

7. ShortBackAndSides

ShortBackAndSides Active Member

1 person likes this.
  8. elwood

elwood Senior member

As others have said, some great new photos appearing in last few days - let's hope it continues in 2014.

My recollection of those "wet look" boots you mention, cerneabbas, that pulled up like socks was of them often being worn with hot pants - which would put it in 1971, "Ride a White Swan" and all that. But, as you say, not worn by skinhead girls. (Can't say myself whether those are boots or socks in that photo.)

Never saw tweed around in the classic 1969-1971 period: other than teachers' jackets (enough said perhaps as to why it had little appeal). This has, however, unfortunately unleashed the previously lost memory of my own pair of tweedy "bags" in late 74 or 75, when the style was really long gone. I'll probably struggle to forget them again now.

9. Mr Knightley

Quote:Yes, tweed bags from Stirling Cooper c 1972 / 3. Much too wide and uncomfortable but nice salt and pepper fabric in navy, grey, whiteish. Worn with a Shetland roll neck and round toed shoes from Toppers. I'm rather glad no pics of mine survive!

10. Inks

Inks Senior member

[​IMG]
    I took a punt and bought a deadstock 60s short sleeve 'Permanent-Press' BD from US ebay. I know it's probably going to be a nylon-nightmare, but I liked the collar length. It was only £19 including post and packaging, so even if it's tut, I can wear it when I creosote the fence.

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Around the same time I was wearing the same, but from 'Jonathan Silver', off King Street in Manchester. The great thing about JS, was they did alterations on whatever you bought and, as a short-arse, that was important to me. :satisfied:

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG]
    Not sure we had this one.

13. bunty

bunty Senior member

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yep, we did. I was the interviewee (but they didn't use a pic of me). The reporter was a well-respected NYT journalist who went on to win all kinds of awards. She died not long ago.

15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Typical 'Northern' pose - hands in arse pockets. :D

16. cvac

cvac Senior member

Been perusing this thread, some interesting stuff in here.

Figured this was a good place to post questions about boots...

Haven't worn DM-style boots in about 15 years but, I recently got a pair of MIE Gripfast steelcaps in oxblood. They have a heavy lugged sole that appeals to me because I recently moved to a colder climate and I'm looking at a long winter. Probably going to buy a second pair of similar boots soon.

At any rate, is anyone familiar with the "Boots & Braces" brand of steelcap boots?

See here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-hole-Che...59?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item8967d40568

The seller says they're made in Portugal of "polido" leather. They have a screw-on commando style sole somewhat similar to the Gripfast boots, but are a bit less expensive. Does anyone have any idea about the quality on these? Should I just stick with the MIE boots (DM vintage line, Solovair, etc.)?

Also, these caught my eye:

http://www.britboot.co.uk/engine/shop/product/GL06/Gladiator+-+Southerner+(11+Eyelet)

Does anyone have experience with the Gladiator sole? Is it pretty much like the Gripfast sole, or is it a different material/style? How comfortable is it.

Finally, I'm wondering what the general opinion is on longwing brogue shoes with an Air Wair or commando style sole? Too clunky?

Like these:

http://www.gripfastboots.com/products/gripfast-5-eyelet-american-brogue-shoe-in-black

I've worn wingtips before (Allen Edmonds and such) but never with anything but a traditional leather dress sole.

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

In a word Hideous :)

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I think that they are pvc white boots,they pulled up and had elastic around the top,I remember girls ( not skinhead girls ) wearing them about then .

Came in about the same time as the short Check Skirts.The Boots were in Red,Black and White-I believe.They were worn by Girls who knocked about with Skinheads(but were not Skinheads themselves).It`s a funny thing now,but the White Boots were originally associated with "Being On The Game".:)

19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Something that was from the "Gatsby" Style.BakerBoy Caps and Two Tone Shoes.I remember there was some interesting Tweeds.

20. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Scruffy Bleeders :D