• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

''Wot about the Teddy Boys mate THEY had REAL CLASS and how historic that they originated in Curzon Crescent, Harlesden in the mid 1950's and the first suits were sold by Austin the Tailors near the Jubilee Clock for 10quid. Then kids from Notting Hill Gate, London liked what they saw and the INDEPENDENCE being part of a TEENAGE group meant and so the rest is history about the Teddy Boys. Willesden Skinheads with their Bover Boots were a LOT different and came much later. Teddy Boys WALKED or used public transport. Skinheads used scooters. Before either there was the Toff Boys f the 1940's who used the little toffee hammers to hit people over the head before taking the victim's wallet or handbag. Toff Boys originated in the East End of London but soon spread to places like Harlesden and Willesden. Author Leslie Chartris, he of The Saint fame, wrote a few books about the Toff boys.

Yes Willesden and Harlesden have had their days of gang crime and so such still goes on. Brent once the murder capital of Europe! ''

I used to be able to walk around Harlesden without fear as a kid. Curzon Crescent had flats that had a bad reputation. I used to walk down St Marys Road past them to get to my aunt's house near Roundwood Park. I remember having a football nicked once; but we got it back. In the 60s it was different to today though. No shootings or routine stabbings. Mugging was not commonplace either.

The other side of the North Circular, Wembley was a well-regarded shopping destination before Brent Cross. It is now a Third World dump. All the good shops are long gone.

I think you can say this about everywhere in London.Going back to Places I knew has been a shock.Where I lived in E16 you can see the marked difference between the "Haves" and the "Have Nots"-Docklands has spread along the River(expensive Housing etc.,),and the poorer parts are,as Kingstonian has said"Third World".

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Just a consequence of time I suppose there are plenty of such areas in my town alone and surrounding cities that have went to hell, even a neighborhood I grew up in has gotten pretty bad in the past 15 years, sometimes its hard to believe some of these areas were nice 40+ years ago.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

''Wot about the Teddy Boys mate THEY had REAL CLASS and how historic that they originated in Curzon Crescent, Harlesden in the mid 1950's and the first suits were sold by Austin the Tailors near the Jubilee Clock for 10quid. Then kids from Notting Hill Gate, London liked what they saw and the INDEPENDENCE being part of a TEENAGE group meant and so the rest is history about the Teddy Boys. Willesden Skinheads with their Bover Boots were a LOT different and came much later. Teddy Boys WALKED or used public transport. Skinheads used scooters. Before either there was the Toff Boys f the 1940's who used the little toffee hammers to hit people over the head before taking the victim's wallet or handbag. Toff Boys originated in the East End of London but soon spread to places like Harlesden and Willesden. Author Leslie Chartris, he of The Saint fame, wrote a few books about the Toff boys.

Yes Willesden and Harlesden have had their days of gang crime and so such still goes on. Brent once the murder capital of Europe! ''

I used to be able to walk around Harlesden without fear as a kid. Curzon Crescent had flats that had a bad reputation. I used to walk down St Marys Road past them to get to my aunt's house near Roundwood Park. I remember having a football nicked once; but we got it back. In the 60s it was different to today though. No shootings or routine stabbings. Mugging was not commonplace either.

The other side of the North Circular, Wembley was a well-regarded shopping destination before Brent Cross. It is now a Third World dump. All the good shops are long gone.

Around 2000, I was working for BT in and around the North Circular area, and we were given specific safety warnings about working in Harlesden, because of muggings, attacks and robberies. I specifically remember working in an area of Harlesden called Stonebridge Estate, you just didn't go alone, always two people. It was grim. A "Thrid World dump" indeed.

BTW Mod to Suedehead is one of my favourite threads in SF to read. :) Always interesting.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with modernaction? I can't tell if the webpage current or not. Shirts appear to be a decent deal and supposedly nice quality.

Yeah they still make shirts, though the site looks a bit archaic. Duke is a top dude, and his shirts are of decent quality. I'd say on par with or better thank Relco. Big collar, v's on sleeves, sewn-in back thingie, etc.
All-in-all pretty decent.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello ,
Just joined the forum and want to thank all the contributors for bringing back some fond distant memories.I hope to bring a few to the table in the near future and return the smiles you brought to my face.I consider myself to have been a mod since around 1968.I believe that Mod is a state of mind,an awareness if you will that comes from somewhere back in the day and permeates your taste and choices for life.I'm lucky to have spent my youth in the Midlands,my teens in the South, London as a young man,and New York as an adult .
So I think I can safely say to many that "I know where you're coming from mate".
Dave

Welcome on board Dave. Like the Stax avatar.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you can say this about everywhere in London.Going back to Places I knew has been a shock.Where I lived in E16 you can see the marked difference between the "Haves" and the "Have Nots"-Docklands has spread along the River(expensive Housing etc.,),and the poorer parts are,as Kingstonian has said"Third World".

The gulf between poor and rich these days is staggering.

Actually, speaking from a point of relative comfort, the bloody gap between the comfortable and the rich is staggering enough!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Have we had this - apparently BCFC fans.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was interested in the recent discussion about shoes and the price thereof. I do empathise with you chaps who have a struggle to convince the wife / partner of the value of a really good pair of shoes. I am not going to run on again about my Church’s Diplomats bought in 2000 and still going…….

No, what I want to suggest is the concept of bringing expensive items in ‘under the spousal radar’ as it has been called on Ask Andy – and elsewhere I’m sure. First, I must say I wouldn’t do such a thing myself, but I am happy to set out how it might be achieved. The important thing is probably not to buy on line as this is more difficult to control - as has been said already.

First, do make sure the item(s) under consideration are not unlike things you already have in your wardrobe. This should not be difficult for those of us who have developed such an exquisite sense of personal style over the years!

Second, make the purchase(s). If you must do it online then have the item delivered to your office.

Then comes the tricky bit – how to actually introduce the item(s) into the wardrobe. If they are small like a tie or pocket square then it is easy – just bring them into the house in your briefcase or whatever (even tucked inside a Harrington jacket works).

If they are larger, like shoes it is obviously best to wait until the coast is clear, perhaps leaving them in the boot of your car for a day or two.

Even more challenging can be the first morning you slip them on. Well, try to do it on an early morning or a day when ‘there is a lot going on’!

Here are some thoughts from AAAC posters:

‘I find that if I slowly rotate a pair of shoes into the wardrobe my G/F doesn't notice (and doesn't ask about the price). In fact, I often keep new shoes in the boxes high in a shelf in my closet so that they go unnoticed for a while. By the time she notices and asks about them, I can honestly say "Hmm ... oh these, I've had them for a quite a while ..."’

‘My m.o. is to always exclaim (really sell it) "I bought them on sale". Get really excited and tell her how much money I saved and that it would have been foolish of me not to buy them. It always seems to work, at least she lets me think so.’

‘She is shoe-blind. Can't tell a blucher from a sandal.’

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Pont taken, Mr Brideshead but... joint bank account.

I no longer work for cash.

My other half has eyes like a sh*t house rat (no, they are not staring, red and rheumy) and the memory of an elephant. (Though i look like one.)

I couldn't save £600 as, as soon as I get above £200... i go out and get pissed... I'm doomed, ah, tell ye!

I've a birthday coming up, though, and have dropped many, many hints... we'll see. :satisfied:

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Pont taken, Mr Brideshead but... joint bank account.

I no longer work for cash.

My other half has eyes like a sh*t house rat (no, they are not staring, red and rheumy) and the memory of an elephant. (Though i look like one.)

I couldn't save £600 as, as soon as I get above £200... i go out and get pissed... I'm doomed, ah, tell ye!

I've a birthday coming up, though, and have dropped many, many hints... we'll see. :satisfied:

Yes, the birthday present idea is always worth a try.....

As I say, I wouldn't normally attempt the above procedure but in the past I may have been 'guilty' on occasions.

buttons

Reaction score

I was interested in the recent discussion about shoes and the price thereof. I do empathise with you chaps who have a struggle to convince the wife / partner of the value of a really good pair of shoes. I am not going to run on again about my Church’s Diplomats bought in 2000 and still going…….

No, what I want to suggest is the concept of bringing expensive items in ‘under the spousal radar’ as it has been called on Ask Andy – and elsewhere I’m sure. First, I must say I wouldn’t do such a thing myself, but I am happy to set out how it might be achieved. The important thing is probably not to buy on line as this is more difficult to control - as has been said already.

First, do make sure the item(s) under consideration are not unlike things you already have in your wardrobe. This should not be difficult for those of us who have developed such an exquisite sense of personal style over the years!

Second, make the purchase(s). If you must do it online then have the item delivered to your office.

Then comes the tricky bit – how to actually introduce the item(s) into the wardrobe. If they are small like a tie or pocket square then it is easy – just bring them into the house in your briefcase or whatever (even tucked inside a Harrington jacket works).

If they are larger, like shoes it is obviously best to wait until the coast is clear, perhaps leaving them in the boot of your car for a day or two.

Even more challenging can be the first morning you slip them on. Well, try to do it on an early morning or a day when ‘there is a lot going on’!

Here are some thoughts from AAAC posters:

‘I find that if I slowly rotate a pair of shoes into the wardrobe my G/F doesn't notice (and doesn't ask about the price). In fact, I often keep new shoes in the boxes high in a shelf in my closet so that they go unnoticed for a while. By the time she notices and asks about them, I can honestly say "Hmm ... oh these, I've had them for a quite a while ..."’

‘My m.o. is to always exclaim (really sell it) "I bought them on sale". Get really excited and tell her how much money I saved and that it would have been foolish of me not to buy them. It always seems to work, at least she lets me think so.’

‘She is shoe-blind. Can't tell a blucher from a sandal.’

Was chatting to a mate a while back (he'll know if he's reading this) and he was on about how much money something I'd just bought had cost. I said "yeah, but you just spent 450 on a hand made crombie". His bird pipes up in the background and shouts "you told me that was 150!" ..... Ha ha - back in the dog-house.
Thankfully I don't have any kids draining my clothes fund away, so I spend whatever I want. When me bird says "but you've already got 5 pairs of them", I say "ah, but these ones are extra special" and she just tuts and says nothing more.

I'd sell it on this:
Buy a pair of top quality brogues for say 400 quid.
Plan to wear them every week for the next 20 years - that's at least 1000 wears. That's 40p a wear. Compare that to so many other things and it makes perfect sense.
If that doesn't wash .... lie.

Mind you, some of you lads on here will be on the zip up fury slippers long before 20 years is up!!

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Around 2000, I was working for BT in and around the North Circular area, and we were given specific safety warnings about working in Harlesden, because of muggings, attacks and robberies. I specifically remember working in an area of Harlesden called Stonebridge Estate, you just didn't go alone, always two people. It was grim. A "Thrid World dump" indeed.

BTW Mod to Suedehead is one of my favourite threads in SF to read. :) Always interesting.

Stonebridge Park it a Third World hell hole.... its been like it for the last 25 years..loads of money has been slung at the area....makes no difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads