1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Basset

Basset Senior member

Fair play mate, cant say i've ever tried top lip growth, the growths rubbish on me.
    Camera's just never floated me boat, stemming from my hatred at having me pic taken, my brother on the other hand had one of them polaroid jobs for xmas once, huge thing, we just never knocked about together

Seen yer pics on fb, thumbs up from me, one things for sure, if you stand in dogshit someone will snap the event, and within minutes people across the world are laughing at it these days.
    The net, it's weird [​IMG]

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Con Man,Northerners/Midlanders reffered to themselves as Mods right through the whole period from the end of the 60's Mods through Skinhead/Suedehead.That's how I would class myself if asked?
    Of course kids relied on their parents at 12 years old.What's unusual about that? Look back at the French newpaper cutting of Chelsea fans a few pages earlier,I highly doubt they were supporting themselves financially apart from a milk or paper round.The only time I recall having a photo taken that was public was one printed on the first day of Spring or Summer at Trentham Gardens,around 1970 I think?It was on the front page of the Evening Sentinel.I've mentioned this before I believe.

3. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I'm gonna weigh in briefly on this camera biz.Except for a brief period in my teens when I was required to pose for photos(for professional reasons.Boring bullshit posing for pics) There are very few photos of me (even with all these mobiles around) And I suspect others are like me.[​IMG]

4. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Same here fella. Always hated having my pic taken. There's a period between when I was 16 and 22 where I have almost zero pics of me in Captain Skinhead regalia. Still hare having my pic taken but do so for the missus and my siblings/Mum and Dad.

5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Well you can find anything if you look hard enough,but is it within context.My only true reference is what I thought I saw and remember from real life.I know from relatives and reading that the term Mods covered a whole decade and a huge variation in styles.I'm talking about on the street -not stagewear,which has always been exagerated.You can Google Mod and get everything from Pucci prints and bouffants to parkas and the like.All had a specific time frame and history throughout the sixties.From Buttons comments he seems to try and stay true to a particuar era,when you say you do not.I had wrongly jumped to the conclusion that because you went to Skinhead/Northern Soul do's,you followed the later Sixties style and to me your suit style,fit and combination didn't ring right to me as I remember things? Not an insult just an observation.That's not important to you,as you wear what you like and feel good in.I do the same.
    You can see from many of the images of revival Do's (Spain,Italy,etc) That some of the followers have no idea of the original timeline and just think that because it was labeled as Original 60's Mod etc. then it was fair game to throw everything on together with a dodgy haircut and everything would be just right?Many end up looking nothing more than sad caricatures of the time.
    I just saw some of the images of a do that Roy was at (Pavillion?) and surprised at some of the Older looking blokes and the length/way they wore their Harringtons.It just didn't look right to me.Who am I to say it's wrong,but in my mind it was? I could go on and on all night and we might agree to disagree,that's the way it is though.
    If you read my original couple of posts on here I didn't have any photos to add,but I think I tried to lay my cards on the table about where my head was at.I have had what many would consider a charmed life and a good run as it were.It may sound like Bullshit to you (and others) but unless you have walked in my shoes you'll never know.I am again making an assumption about who you think the bullshitter is on here. I've enjoyed reminiscing and scurrying around forgotton pieces of my brain.I honestly couldn't have done this about any other period in my life.Looking forward to your contributions.

1 person likes this.
  6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Funny that Gsvs5 should mention harringtons as I was going to ask about them.can anyone remember in 70/71 remember tonic ones ? I saw one a lad at school who had one it was dark red/black.

I was looking at clothes online yesterday and I came across tonic harringtons for sale,some of them looked ok IMO,not sure if its something I would wear though.
    The other "different" item I remember seeing back then was tonic raincoats...I only saw 2,one was red/black ( similar to the Harrington but not exactly the same) one was blue/black,can anyone else remember seeing these....or any other "one off " items ?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Unless your parents were very rich how could a schoolboy sport the same 'ahead of the game' smutter as a working lad ? a decent sheepskin was roughly £25 in 69 . My paper round was paying me under two pounds a week then .. no possible way to save up that sort of dough . Even more important is that young kids would not have known what was IN or Out until it filtered down from the older lads let alone have the pull to influence fashion.

8. con man

con man Senior member

Gsvs5, Northern and Midland Skinheads called themselves Mods, well thats odd, everyone I have spoken to, called themselves Skinheads.
    Correct me, if I'm wrong, you were 12 in 69, how the hell would a 12 year old, know what was being worn in the pubs and clubs.
    Dig at my suit all day long, it dont bother me, funny thing is, in the real world, I get compliments and that includes original Skinheads who were old enough to drink back then, at least I have got the bottle to put a photo up, to be condemned by people like you, who are obviously the font of knowledge of all things Skinhead.
    You are correct about Will ( buttons ) having met him myself a number of times, in real life at various Skinhead nights up and down the country, he lives and breathes it and his knowledge is of that period is far greater than yours and yet he was born in 1970, when you were ( supposedly ) in mid flow, of your Skinhead, sorry Mod, times.
    And as for Stoke City, you say the Waddington years were hard to watch, funny that, because every true Stoke fan from back then, says they were the greatest years and we have had few enough of them.
    Most Stoke fans in the 70's would of heard of the Coddy Hughes incident, but you hadnt and had to refer and quote from a football hooligan book.
    You did mention one local Skinhead gang but not heard of the rest and one of them is really well known locally from the 60's right through to the present day.
    And one thing that really made me laugh, you said, that you had to one step ahead of others ( or some such nonsense ).....yeah, you were that far ahead you were calling yourself a Mod in 1969, getting your shoes from Grattons catalogue and not a well known well established quality shoe shoe shop and you were only 12 at the time and no 12 is ahead of the game, unless mummy and daddy are rich.
    My guess is, you were never a Skinhead, you called your self a Mod, because you did not have the bottle or you wernt allowed to have your hair that short or wear the clothes.
    And now you live in a self important fantasy world, telling everybody how it was back then and making up little stories as you go, because you believe everyone is hanging on to every word of your self indulgent monotonus crap.
    I have come across people like you, many times from every generation of Skinhead.
    I'am done conversing with you, prefering to talk to the real originals and anyone from any decade there after and from any country who has lived it for real or still does.

2 people like this.
  9. con man

con man Senior member

And one final thing and you have contradicted yourself....you say, you heard of the Trent Vale Skins, back then.... funny that they would give themselves that name if they all reffered to themselves as Mods

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Think there's a couple more you should add... :) [​IMG] And our family actually had the Kodak Brownie 127 in the late 60s... [​IMG]

11. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Between 15 and 17, and still at school, I had a MTM Tonik mohair suit, a MTM Prince of Wales jacket and a MTM pair of mohair strides. I had a Baracutta Harrington, Crombie overcoat (no sheepskin because my mates beat me to it and I wasn't going to copy them and play catch up). I wore Bass Weejun loafers, DM's ,Royals. Ben Shermans (no Brutus shirts because they were cheaper). I could go on. Nearly all my mates dressed the same with half of them at work and half still at school. We didn't do paper rounds because the money was shit but we worked on building sites or Fords shutdown during school holidays and not paying any tax we earned enough for our clothes and entertainment. Working a Bank Holiday was treble time. Sundays was double time and Saturdays was time and a half pay. I spent every penny and I hardly gave mum any money for housekeeping. It amazes me now thinking of the clothes I bought whilst still at school, but many did the same. Living in and around London you had access to well paid jobs full and part time.
    No one I know carried a camera around with them. As has been said photos were taken on Holidays and at Weddings. For a few years me and my mates went down to Torquay for long weekends and I don't have one photo from then. So I don't have photo evidence of clothes I wore. I did find, in the loft, however some receipts for clothes that I bought back then and that surprised me.
    Life was good for many working class people in the late sixties and early 70's. I would go further and say It was better than it is today for many people but the ruling elite don't want the people to know that.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I always thought anyone under 13 in say 69 cant really say they was a skinhead...I mean i was 12 in 66 I remember the Mods...as a canvas...but not the finer details... I was not there in the clubs and pubs..but would sit on the wall watching my older brother with his mates and Mod Girls....But we never really knew what went on.

So my point is its impossible for a twelve year old to have any sense of what really went on.....at Thirteen it is a little different say with the cloths, football etc, ...but again....you had to be in the pubs and clubs..drinking, fighting and trying to pull birds.

Also agree with Bob The Badger....I got my first job...at about Thirteen in Mr Patels Supermarket,:D....I then got a job in a Spanish Grocers...I would fiddle on the till and was earning more money than when i actually started full time work in 69,:D I got my first suit bespoke made, soon after starting work ..You paid a deposit and paid 10 bob a week until it was paid off.

I remember getting my Royals...and had to stay in over the weekend as i had blown all my money on the shoes.. and paying me Mum my keep then ..subbing it back so i could get out...Happy days ,:)

13. indeyxzq

indeyxzq New Member

good info,last year there were no shows going on during our stay unfortunately btw, Nurnberg was where my wife was born,thanks
    [​IMG]

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Just thinking about the photos of me that are on this thread:

A few were taken by mates of mine at college who were into photography. At least one was taken by someone from IT for Yell, but never used. One was taken by a seaside photographer in Margate. A handful were taken by my mum during a visit by 'Cockney Bob' (but don't forget she hated my mod/skinhead clothes so she wasn't going to snap me all that often). One was taken by a German press photographer.

Apart from that, as had been said, no one carried a camera around with them.

15. Man-of-Mystery

My mum would have made a face like something smelled bad and tell me I looked dreadful! :D

16. Man-of-Mystery

I'm laughing so much it's hurting, Roy! Anyhow, see above, mate. :D

17. Man-of-Mystery

Oh stop! Stop! I can't fcuking breathe! :rotflmao:

18. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

That is true about the sheepskins cost being out of reach for most,young and old ,and I've never claimed to have one.You are not right about needing to be older to suss what's In or out.That's a regional thing and most followed what was going on in their local area.Being ahead of the game,didn't neccessarily mean ahead of London or Birmingham,it is in your own area as styles moved around the country.It also didn't have to cost a lot of money.It could be determined by how you wore something,the width of your trousers,the width of the rib on a jumper etc.

19. gunboxes

gunboxes New Member

last year there were no shows going on during our stay unfortunately btw, Nurnberg was where my wife was born
    [​IMG]

20. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Nothing is "Made Up" Con man.If it's monotonous crap to you ignore it.It may seem like that to a kid who wasn't around in those days.I understand that.

I've already said I never cropped my hair.Like you,I wear what I like and what I think suits me.I wore the clothes.
    Read the Forum and my posts.The Riding Tack,Chapel Market,Oasis,Shoreditch etc.etc.No rich kid I can assure you.
    As I've said before,I stopped following Stoke after 1972.I quoted where I heard his name for the first and only time.It said it was 1978.I wasn't even working in England by 78
    For fucks sake?
    As you said,"One of them is really well known locally"

That's why they stood in the rain at night chanting Waddington Out.I don't think you were there? Football fan are a fickle lot.
    That's obvious, and I respect him,his knowledge and his commitmen.If I'm so wrong about so much then he can put me straight.

Speak to MOM
    It was everywhere.On the street ,Football,youth clubs.etc etc