Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Stonebridge Park it a Third World hell hole.... its been like it for the last 25 years..loads of money has been slung at the area....makes no difference.

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I had a shaky moment coming home from the Mean Fiddler some years ago that involved a stoned Rasta Mini Cab driver.
    Had to bail out enroute.

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I think it was 1968? I walked into my older sisters bedroom and for some reason this cockey little heterosexual urchin was taken by the image fixed loud and centre upon the wall.I think it was from Fab 208 or maybe Jackie? It was I discovered a fella by the exotic name of Andy Fairweather Low.In a pink shetland wool jumper and the coolest haircut ever he had captured the the bedroom walls of thousands of girls around the U.K.He was to sing one of my all time favourite records to this day.
    If Paradise is Half as Nice.
    And so it begins....My obsession with how I looked,how I dressed,what I heard,how i danced,how i lived ! Well at least for the next five years?
    That was to be the last record sung by a white guy that I paid any attention to for the next few years (withe the exception of Dusty ,Tony Joe White,and a few others that were played on the Northern circuit that I thought were Black!) From then on it was Motown,Reggae and Soul - the more obscure the better.In fact apart from My Boy Lollipop,Telstar and Where Do you go to my Lovely,I recall very little musically from my youth.
    We had just had a telephone put in the house which my parents were to discover was to be an expensive luxury.My elder sister was warned not to be on it talking to her boyfriends all night.I wasn't even consulted about the thing? Who the hell was I going to phone?Then the first bill arrived.....Who the bloody has has been making half hour calls to Manchester ,Nottingham,Derby ? Who the hell is Reddington's Rare Records !
    45 years later I can still see the look on my Dad's face as clear as dayas I got a severe bollocking.
    All was well afew days later and my life couldn't have been sweeter as the postman showed up with a little flat ,brown seven inch cardbord envelope with The Right Track on Soul City by Billy Butler all the way from Hanaway Street in London.
    This was the begining of part of a very expensive time in my youth.You see ,it was very important not just to look right,but you had to be the first to have the look,the sound, the whatever.It was part of being a 'Mod".
    The new found records got their first public airing at the local Youth Club.Here they could be played LOUD at proud to an appreciative audience of 14-16 year olds.It seemed that our club had a good reputation as we had coaches come from other Youth Clubs in Nottingham and Derby on Disco Nights to dance and hear the music.This was great in my eyes as we got to see what the other kids were wearing,learnt some new moves and maybe pulled a few birds.Pulling was not at the top of the list yet though.That was to come a little later!
    I was actually really lucky that I had the influence of two elder sisters and generous,understanding parents who gave us more than they could comfortably afford.What they were to hear very soon was that I NEEDED a pair of Levis.I had seen some of the older lads wearing them (or Lee Riders ) and my Lee Coopers just didn't cut the mustard any more.
    It was on a day trip to Wolverhampton with my Dad that I spotted a couple of lads about the same age/build as me wearing stiff,new,pristine blue Levis.Stopped in their tracks by me I was directed to Harry Rosenshine's where they sold them.
    More begging and promises to do everything asked of me,I was now the proud owner of my first baggy arsed,button fly levi jeans.In the drive back home to Stafford every rivet ,stitch and word on the label was inspected,read and cherished.These jeans actually had a SMELL ! The smell of pure un-sanforised,stiff ,raw,AMERICA.Nothing since has had that smell.Never.
    Now I'm Gettin' My Kicks Out on the Floor........yeah.Yeah,Yeah !
    This was my first foray into Fashion.I was dressing myself.My way.My taste.My style.
    Mums money.
    Shoes were to be a major headache.You see ,pathfinders do not sit well with Levis.My feet were not growing fast enough.I was an urchin with Adult aspirations.I was an outsider that Ravel didn't want or need to cater to just yet.Most of the older Lads were dropping some serious money in Birmingham on sleek loafers,but they were beyond my reach.The other option were the Black MOD issue RAF dress shoes that were picked up at the Army & Navy,polished up and looked pretty decent with a solid leather sole.still,these did not come small enough for me? What to do ?
    Grattan !
    Ah.Grattan saves the day.My Mum had the new catalog and deep inside this crap filled fire lighter were a pair of very passable Brown brogue punched slip on Loafers (albeit with a rubber sole;( ) in MY size.
    Convinced the old lady that I needed them and she could pay a few bob a week made the decision easy.
    The shirts i recall were Benny's or Brutus for the checks but we also had a fair smattering of Grandad vests-usually dyed red,pink,yellow,navy and worn with a Fair Isle sleeveless V,or an M&S Lambswool long sleeved V.There was a time also when some lads just wore the L/S lambswool with nothing underneath.
    Jewellery played a bit part in the look with a very small gold St Christopher and usually a Silver I.D bracelet the only choice if any? Military watch bands were quite often worn on your Timex,just to make it that little bit different.In fact quite a bit of stuff was adapted from the A&N shops.RAF Greatcoats were a popular alternative to the parka.
    Spring time saw the emergence of the preferable Off White flyfront Mod Mac.It was a great look with a suit or jeans.A nice pair of thin leather Keyhole Back Driving Gloves in Navy or Brown sealed the deal.
    At Eleven years old I was a regular at Stoke.It was either Stoke ,Wolves or United ( There was only one United )
    I was born in Stoke,so that was it for me.Years of cold ,wet,evenings in the Boothen End.
    Disapointment after disapointment under Tony Waddington.The chants were that Harry Roberts was our friend and the adopted Zigger Zagger.The Boothen smelled like Brut intermingled with boiled onions and steamed burgers.Like the scent of my Levis,this smell has permeated and haunted me (though negatively) for 45years.
    Like many my age in those days,I was trusted to travel with a couple of mates far and wide on a Greatrex coach to see The Potters fail.The repeated cup meetings with Arsenal all so close and yet so far.Our big day was yet to come and it was to be against a legendary team with a legendary following and mod heritage.
    It's funny but the name Eccles was dropped as if it was one of the kids around the corner, not a hundred miles or so down the M6.I suppose some of the older lads were going down to london to follow Spurs and Chelsea in those days and the name travelled.On a rare ocassion that I took a train to Stoke,we were late and we bumped into a solitary four Chelsea boys from Peterborough.Very smart ,all in crombies,cream Sta prest and boots.We chatted and were as cordial as snotty little upstarts are.We enquired about the famous Eccles and were told about another fella who wore a brown suede harrington.The name escapes me?On the return home we ended up in the same carriage with the same lads,but this time the whole train was all Chelsea.Older lads who started removing the light bulbs and slashing the seats.by the time we got to Stone I was shitting myself.I was sure the young lads we had met earlier would give us up as Stoke.Thank heavens,but for some reason they didn't.By the time we hit Stafford,the Police were waiting and we were all ordered off the train.We slipped off and out of the station.Home and safe.that was the longest train ride I ever took.
    We were to meet Chelsea again.further down the road for our Big Day.
    1971 I was a good year I went on a school trip. A Cruise to the Baltic.An Educational cruise with kids from everywhere in the U.K.This was an eye opener for me as we got to learn what was going on in London for a group of kids from North London.You see,we learnt a lot about style from the football matches and traveling around,but it was glimpses.The progression of styles was relatively slow and regional compared with today.Growth was organic,with no internet,MTV and such.Not only with style ,but with food.The only Curry I had ever tasted was a Vesta ! I had never had a Pizza.
    The School from London was from Highbury I believe,but the lads were from Muswell Hill,Edgeware,Burnt Oak etc.The girls had mostly suits with the white tights and patterns down the side.There was one older lad called "Titch" from Edgeware who had the most amazing shoe collection with him - Fringe/buckle loafers,tassled loafers,Royals,boxtops,everything your hearts desire.But i sensed from him that as new as some were to me,they were old hat to him.It was the very first sign that things were moving in a different direction.He also had cords with a flare,floral patterned shirts,longer hair,longer collars.As Marvin said .....whats going on?
    Friendships were struck and I was invited to visit Highgate at a later date.This gave me my first encounter with London.Chapel Market.A candy store for style.
    Back home in the Midlands I was lucky enough to be at what we thought was the epicenter of our scene.Manchester had The Wheel,Stoke had the Torch,Tottenham had the Royal,we had The Top of The World.This was a classic Mecca like dance Hall.I was able to see the legends seemingly every week.Junior Walker,Major Lance,Detroit Emeralds.
    3000 people dancing and clapping in unison to Ben E King.It felt like the whole building was moving.This was where we headed in our best gear.I recall taking the bus down there on a Monday night one summer.I stood the whole way ,upstairs on a half empty bus because i dindn't want to crease the line of my new mohair suit trousers.
    It was an enormous place but everyone knew everyone and if you weren't from there you stood out.There were some run ins with lads from Wolverhampton usually.Stoke didn't come much as they had plenty happening in Hanley and Newcastle.The biggest thing I ever saw go off was a night when a big group of fair ground guys came and took over a big section of the dance floor,getting very lewd with their women and encroaching on our girls.
    There was always animosity when the fair was in town.We didn't like them and they knew it.half a dozen of us would go to an empty rifle range stall and pre -planned - we would all let loose at the same time shooting at the chalk dog prizes and the goldfish in the bags.It was fucking hillarious seeing the expressions on the womens faces.It was always the women running the stalls and the fellas doing the rides.Happy days.
    Life was more good than bad as i remember.Always able to do what we wanted ,when we wanted.Lots of laughs and mischief ,but nothing too serious.A couple of lads drifted into gear .screwing around with Dymiryll (sp) which gave you hallucinations,speed and such,but I never touched any.More started using stuff when Wigan started but to me the Northern scene was over by the time Wigan was going,It's funny I read a lot of crap about this song and that song first being played at Wigan when I know it was played years earlier at Stafford Rugby Club by Barry Morgan.There is a lot of nonsense written out there and you can't believe a lot of it.
    '72 was an epic year and quickly changing.Stoke went down to Wembley and won the day.Chelsea did not take it well.
    They left before the end and proceeded to smash literally every window on every coach in the car park.It was a cold ride home for many.
    A new lad joined our school from Wycombe down south and turned me on to the Faces.This was honestly the first home grown music i had listened to.I went to Birmingham Odeon to see them and it was the start of a new chapter in my life.
    The Northern Soul scene had sold it's soul for me and seemingly everyone and the BBC was about to jump on the bandwagon and hijack it.
    '73 Budgie Jackets and Bolan Satin Blazers were sported with French flares and Derbers crepe wedges . We all were looking more like Leo Sayer (without the Clown Gear !)
    I left the Midlands,moved South and learned to walk in clogs.Small steps......

4. buttons

buttons Senior member

I know this isn't the place for advertising events but a few of the lads on here were at Margate last year for the skinhead reggae & soul weekend. Aces, Brownie, Basset, Twist Tag, Lasttye and mesell were there - good weekend.
    5th, 6th July. If ye want any more details, PM me so it doesn't get in the way of important shoe-chat.

5. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

That's made me chuckle regarding the recent tips on smuggling expensive clothes in doors past 'the trouble and strife' without her noticing. Its always been customary to deflate the price when asked as they do it all the time.

Around 15 years ago I purchased a 1956 Bedford RF 4 x 4 ex army lorry on a complete whim and when I parked in it on the drive she went ballistic. It was 12 feet high with the full canvas and blocked out the sun all day (and summer). It was a great talking point, cheap to insure, no tax or mot required but was a little hairy to drive, ie no power steering and drum brakes. Maneuvering / over taking cyclists had to be planned miles in advance.

Anyway the point being when I sold it and bought and then immediately bought an ex army Land Rover wifey was all smiles and sighs as she said that could be parked in the yard round the back. So by buying something big and ugly I was able to buy something small and ugly - and everyone is happy !!

[​IMG]
    Not my one but an example

Buttons

Why wait 20 years - nothing wrong with the zip up furry boots - no confusing laces to deal with or or which boot goes on which foot - your be us one day !!

6. Aces and Eights

I was wondering if it was on this year - nothing on their web page or general interweb

I think I'll enjoy anther Sat afternoon tipple

7. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Ed.Thanks for the link.Great pics.Sorry gents can't relate with the finances and the other half.The most money I spend is on Clarks and Levi's.I'm still a thrift store rat.

8. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I have a couple. Good guy, quick to reply to emails. Shirts are of a slubbier poly-cotton blend, so a bit more breathable than your average Ben Sherman, though the collar doesn't stay nearly as crisp. Size down one step from your BS size for a trim fit. My only real complaint is that the buttons are sewn on poorly. Thankfully there are extras included.

9. Aces and Eights

During the mid 60s single records were around 6 shillings and eight pence around a third of a quid - very expensive. I remember my mum waiting a year and then buying the chart ones from the market with the centre punched out where they had been used on juke boxes. I think you had to pay an extra couple of coppers to get the plastic insert so you could play them on your Danette.

She would come home with a bundle of them and although at the time I would tease her by saying they were out of date i know I was glad to hear them.

I have mention this because i have just found some tucked away in my shed together with about 50 odd old reggae singles from late 60s and also an old 'reggae chartbusters' LP that I forgot I had. Only in the last 6 months I have bought around 6 nr old reggae chart busters from Ebay on CD

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Gsvs5 Great story mate thanks so much for sharing..You should write a book mate...how old was you in 68 ?

11. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Father Murphy's club in Stonebridge used to be good - attached to the parish church not far from the Orange Tree pub. You could smell the Rich Tea biscuits from the McVities factory. Decent Youngs pub by Harlesden station too.

12. elwood

elwood Senior member

Thanks, Ed. Those pics do bring back memories. I remember going down that Manchester "Carnaby Street"; a mate got one of those patchwork jumpers in a shop along there. As you say, they were all due for demolition - that street now lies under the Arndale Centre I think. Also well remember the Market Centre and those two shops: Justins and Stolen from Ivor. Had to take a bit of care shopping round there I think. The shops were at the entrance to the underground market and usually lots of lads hanging round eyeing you up and ready to separate you from whatever you'd bought as you left the shop. I got a red "Slazenger" jumper from Justins - actually just an acrylic copy - and with a little felt panther badge for your Mum to sew on.

13. elwood

elwood Senior member

Good points, Watermelon man. Perhaps what we need is the MtS-Shoe Price Index.

14. elwood

elwood Senior member

Welcome, Dave - same vintage as me (1957?). Just been reading your latest posting; good stuff.

15. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Thanks .I was 11 but thought I was 16 !
    I always hung around with kids a couple of years older.Most of the lads my age didn't have it sussed.my elder sisters were a big influence as I say.they were the first ones to buy me red underwear from M& S ! That was a big thing in '68