• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

natrodgers79

Reaction score
Latt, the NoS Florsheim imperials turn up every so often on eBay if you keep your eyes peeled. Worth saving your money for a snaring a pair if you get the chance. Wouldn't touch the Indian crap for free.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Going to a dancehall tonight. What do I wear? Suit? Sta prest and button down? Help I have to many clothes...

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Worth noting that they are black as well. Most lace ups bought were back then. Clothing forums nowadays seem to hate black shoes for some reason.

Yes, my Royal brogues were in black.

The current Florsheim longwing is indeed made in India and in 'calf'. It is rather too shiny (see my pic above) but does have a lovely shape.

I think Cheaney make a nice shape of shoe - here is a Dainite-soled one I am very fond of

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the imfo Natroghers79, Their is a shop in London, just around the corner from J Simmons, that stock Alden Brogues, I agree just don't look right.

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score

Above is a photo of my current 'going out' shoes. Both are Loakes Royals purchased during the last few years and not used as much as they should be.

I always knew these style of shoes as 'Royals' but some of our older mates referred to them as 'Squires' - I can not recall whether this was because The Squires shop sold them - Anyone recall?

I had at the time (69/71) besides royals a pair of heavy American or Irish brogues, with the same pattern as Royals but with a chunky toecap and broader style bought in Woolwich SE London that I have never seen the like of since. These shoes I had double soled.

Reading other contributors comments on shoes, it was usual to mostly wear black. i remember buying a pair of oxblood loafers but they seamed too loud and I dyed them black (not the most successful thing to do)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Above is a photo of my current 'going out' shoes. Both are Loakes Royals purchased during the last few years and not used as much as they should be. I always knew these style of shoes as 'Royals' but some of our older mates referred to them as 'Squires' - I can not recall whether this was because The Squires shop sold them - Anyone recall? I had at the time (69/71) besides royals a pair of heavy American or Irish brogues, with the same pattern as Royals but with a chunky toecap and broader style bought in Woolwich SE London that I have never seen the like of since. These shoes I had double soled. Reading other contributors comments on shoes, it was usual to mostly wear black. i remember buying a pair of oxblood loafers but they seamed too loud and I dyed them black (not the most successful thing to do)
Yes indeed Royals was also known a Squires, as of Squire shop, But the Squire Shop came later, most of us got our first Royals from the Ivy Shop Richmond, I had Ox Blood and Black Brogues, I pair of Black Plain Caps, I Black Gibsons, A pair of Oxblood Royals Tassell loathers , and a Black pair of Fringe tassel loathers, Fcuk knows what happened to them and the rest of my Skinhead kit.

yankmod

Reaction score
Welcome to the new members.Botolph,thanks for the Perry Boys link.I don't think we here are going to come to an agreement on this issue.I think we should put it to rest.It's an interesting transistion but off topic and probably not of interest to the "Originals Firm". Ivyskin89 go all out.Wear your best.Show em how it's done.Try and post some pics if the crowd looks good.More Interesting stuff,Thanks.

Basset

Reaction score
Many thanks for the comments regarding my wedding pic, we all had a great day.

Perry boys, my last words on the subject, had a read thru the link posted and whilst i dont doubt the term was used in certain areas, they look and sound like early casuals to me before that term was coined and stuck, the lads i knocked about with at that time would often use the term " a trend " to describe someone with that look/style, apologies for bringing the subject up again, just my thoughts and recollections

elwood

Reaction score

Above is a photo of my current 'going out' shoes. Both are Loakes Royals purchased during the last few years and not used as much as they should be.

I always knew these style of shoes as 'Royals' but some of our older mates referred to them as 'Squires' - I can not recall whether this was because The Squires shop sold them - Anyone recall?

I had at the time (69/71) besides royals a pair of heavy American or Irish brogues, with the same pattern as Royals but with a chunky toecap and broader style bought in Woolwich SE London that I have never seen the like of since. These shoes I had double soled.

Reading other contributors comments on shoes, it was usual to mostly wear black. i remember buying a pair of oxblood loafers but they seamed too loud and I dyed them black (not the most successful thing to do)
I first saw Royals in my part of the world, northern outskirts of Manchester, around late 70/ early 71. Local Saxone shops had "The Royal Collection". I can see them in the window as if it was yesterday. There were 3 styles: brogue (long wingtip), loafer (tassel & heelbar) and oxford (toecap). They were available in black and oxblood, apart from the oxford which I think was only in black. Good thick leather soles and Goodyear welted. The brogues soon became the shoe to wear and were just known as Royals. The other styles were briefly fashionable but the brogues carried on longer.

They were fantastic looking shoes, especially the brogue. I spent a lot of time looking at them in the shop window but never got a pair as they were too expensive (can't remember the exact price). Certainly more expensive than any shoes that my Dad bought for himself at the time so that meant they were off the menu for a growing 13 year old who grew out of a pair of shoes in much less than a year.

From what I can remember, they had a gold logo inside with 3 (English) lions. Is it possible that Saxone had some tie-up with Squires or were Squires importing them from US? I don't think anyone in my area knew of the Squire Shop and Saxone's Royals were seen as the best available.

Basset

Reaction score
Heres a couple of pairs of shoes i own, Church's smooths on the left and a pair of wegians on the right, obviously different styles, but i like both.
The church's are without doubt the most comfortable shoes i have ever owned

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many thanks for the comments regarding my wedding pic, we all had a great day.

Perry boys, my last words on the subject, had a read thru the link posted and whilst i dont doubt the term was used in certain areas, they look and sound like early casuals to me before that term was coined and stuck, the lads i knocked about with at that time would often use the term " a trend " to describe someone with that look/style, apologies for bringing the subject up again, just my thoughts and recollections

Sorry if it came off like I was trying to stir the pot or ruffle feathers -- that was not my intentions. Someone mentioned the whole Perry Boys thing, just passing along a link.

And by the way, the lemon yellow socks are :slayer: very cool.

Basset

Reaction score
Sorry if it came off like I was trying to stir the pot or ruffle feathers -- that was not my intentions. Someone mentioned the whole Perry Boys thing, just passing along a link.

And by the way, the lemon yellow socks are
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
very cool.

No need to apologise mate, no feathers ruffled here, this threads all about discussion and sharing opinions

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Heres a couple of pairs of shoes i own, Church's smooths on the left and a pair of wegians on the right, obviously different styles, but i like both. The church's are without doubt the most comfortable shoes i have ever owned
Yes Mike saw yours.. we was chatting about them last year, think i was wearing mine also at the time, Pic attached. Church's Cordovan Plaincaps, Agree the most comfortable shoes i have ever worn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads