1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

On the subject of the G9 there was a colour called 'Loden' and older posters will know I was very lucky to pick up a Made in England example in TK Maxx about 3 years ago for £49.95.

I think this colour is now discontinued which is a great shame. Again it is a good 'cross-over' shade. Here in an autumnal Venice:
    [​IMG]

3. Mr Knightley

Yeah, I think I've seen them on Facebook. Hair getting quite short in 1967. Interesting Watford skinheads still favoured the scooter as a means of transport.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

He's cheered up a bit! :happy:

5. Mr Knightley

But is the difference here that the G9 is still made in England, at least this example? This latest one may be worthy of the Oi Polloi hype but perhaps not the asking price....

The beech colour is remarkably close to my older 'Loden'.

6. Mr Knightley

As I have mentioned many times I wore Solatios before Royals, etc. They were not at all like these but slimmer, less rounded and with an overall Italian look and feel. But no-one can remember them.

I shall try to find a pic of late 60s Mods (some have been posted before) in what look like the old Solatios. I hope this new company scours the old archives, if they have any, and resurrects them.

7. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Different materials, different(tiny) sizing, too. I have the G9 in 'loden' and that 'beech' one on Olly Polly is the spitten image of mine.

8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Great stuff Ed.Now we know the dates and names of some folks from the photos.Without a back story I'm not sure I believe that is D.Eccles.Would like to hear about the pic.

9. ek77

ek77 Senior member

someone posted his pic on facebook..

10. ek77

ek77 Senior member

is this a kinda new thing in this group to question everything now??? it was for sure different when this group started... :rolleyes:

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Well Mr Knightley, if you want a new one you just have to pay 230 quids more... (actual Oipolloi price: 279 pounds !) Crazy price for a harrington, even a Baracuta. Used to pay 10 quids max for a decent harrington in the 80s. At that time nobody wore real Baracuta, except Joe Strummer maybe.

12. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Fascinating read Ed. I was particularly interested in the comment that they went straight to No. 1 cuts as in our area this was a gradual process - people we would now recognise as 'skinheads' were around in 1968 but hair was No. 4 or No.3 at that time, not getting as short as No. 1 until early 1970. I don't recall the wearing of white socks as a feature at all and red socks were very 1971 by us. Scooters certainly a skinhead mode of transport in the north until they put the licence age up to 17. The photo also challenges one of my pet dislikes - white braces. Whenever I see photos of current skinheads in white braces I instantly dismiss them, as my claim is that 'nobody' wore white braces 1969-1971, yet there they are in the photos!

Of course I know that the assertion that 'nobody' wore them is untrue, what I mean is hardly anybody wore them. In fact so rare was this that I can remember the only two times I witnessed it. Both were in 1971 and in both cases they were worn with black button down Ben Shermans. (a bit 'Guys and Dolls' in my opinion.....) One was in Oldham town centre, during the summer and the other was in September and was being worn by one of the 'reception committee' waiting for us as we crossed the Trent Bridge on the way to watch City play at Nottingham Forest.

Ooo .... I can feel another story coming on.....

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

roytonboy.I am eagerly awaiting your next story,hopefully one ( or more ) of the Forest lot will be hurled into the Trent ! i dont know why i dont like them ,they always brought a good few down here,i think that Rovers beat them 4-0 in Brian Cloughs first game in charge....Did you see the pictures put up by papyloic ? check the one with the bearded copper,on the poster i am sure it says Manchester City is the other team Nottingham Forest ? that would be forthcoming fixtures and West Ham were home to City and Forest in February 71 so maybe the picture is at West Ham ? ...Scooters,definitely skinhead/suedehead here until 71 ( Bristol buses were and are notoriously crap )....I wore white braces with that navy blue Ben Sherman,i was 12 or 13 and very skinny then ,i must have looked a right one,still if i ever do fancy dress i could go as me in 71,bet i would win a prize.....In the Watford article the bloke mentions Florsheim shoes twice,i know now that people over here were buying them then but i have to admit that I hadnt heard of the different American makes until recent years,we would have said Royals ( even when we meant full brogues ).

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

ek77. All pictures on here are questioned now,ever since someone put up a picture of 60s Mods in trainers ( running/training shoes),turns out the picture was the Lambrettas! !,i cant remember who put the picture up but thats why we have to be so careful now.

15. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

That is Danny Arkins. I met him at Stamford Bridge earlier this year. Alas i didnt have my phone with me to get a picture.

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

harrysgame.Well done,you have sorted that out quickly.Do you know how old he is ?

17. Basset

Basset Senior member

Interesting post mate, i dont think crossovers are a bad looking shoe, you mention boxtops? another example of regional naming of things, or a manufacter tag sticking? i expect you've seen this before but thought i'd bang it up anyhows, shame there not those prices anymore
    [​IMG]

18. ScootSuitnBoots

ScootSuitnBoots Member

19. ScootSuitnBoots

ScootSuitnBoots Member

Sorry. that was in reply to the chaps discussing the Baracuta harrington in that lovely olive green colour.

20. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

buy direct : http://www.bennevisclothing.com/epa...ubProducts/"Harrington Jacket Khaki Green XL"

Re : solatios shoes not a bad shoe at all when worn with the right gear, also like norweigans or 'box top' as you mentioned, and the diamond style/ crossovers later worn...wearing a pair the other week..
    .[​IMG]