• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

John Boy

Reaction score
So while I'm asking for advice I have another question. Sorry if i'm repeating anything but there's a lot to remember! Did the originals wear those chunky knit style cardigans? How popular were they? In a picture of Lasttye a lad he's with seems to be wearing one with a tie.

Also I know Mikkel Rude does one but they're very pricey for me. I was wondering if this was pretty similar:

http://www.asos.com/Selected/Select...sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Greymelange

maybe change the buttons to leather football ones?

Cheers in advance

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So while I'm asking for advice I have another question. Sorry if i'm repeating anything but there's a lot to remember! Did the originals wear those chunky knit style cardigans? How popular were they? In a picture of Lasttye a lad he's with seems to be wearing one with a tie.
Also I know Mikkel Rude does one but they're very pricey for me. I was wondering if this was pretty similar:
http://www.asos.com/Selected/Select...sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Greymelange
Cheers in advance

Chunky Cardigans was worn by the Originals 68/69, later 69/70 any cardigan was worn not so much the chunky one's though.:)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kilburn skinheads wearing various cardigans back in the day,

tumblr_lidb1ou8gz1qzimkuo1_500-1-1.jpg

Me and Mandy wearing a cardigan last year,

Copy2ofIMG_1209.jpg

Last edited:

McDermott

Reaction score
Chunky Cardigans was worn by the Originals 68/69, later 69/70 any cardigan was worn not so much the chunky one's though.
smile.gif

Cheers in advance

Heres what you be wanting Lads
wink.gif
come with crappy leather-lookalike plastic buttons, change them for the real deal and its spot on. I find keeping an eye on cricket style jumpers sometimes comes up trumps on ebay (bought a pure white one thats spot on just needs pearl buttons changing to leather ones) but these are the best ive found by a mile :
Black :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mans-Blac...&otn=4&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5497057393442775682
Burgandy : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mans-Burg...s_Tops_Casual_Shirts&var=&hash=item99adb27aaf
and the only place i could find the green was 80'sfootballcausals : http://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/...an-in-classic-green-2105973-239064-703659.php
who also stock the crewneck style that seemed to be popular with 80's skins : http://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/knitwear/waffle-jumper-in-classic-grey-2105965-239064-703655.php they have that in burgundy also.

loempiavreter

Reaction score

Figured i may as well jump on the bandwagon and introduce myself also since ive been lurking this thread for a Fair while. Im also on Ukskinheads (under the same name).
Im 18, 19 shortly actually, from North Uk, Leeds. My dad comes from the whole era and well remebers local skinheads when he grew up so i was always surround by those stories, he later got into Northern soul big time having gone to The first all nighter in The central Leeds (too young for twisted wheel etc) then progressing Mecca and wigan and all in bewteen. In the car as a kid he would play me Northern soul and motown tapes, and also was into most black music which led me onto Ska, reggae, bit of funk and some early disco even. His vinyl collection is quite impressive and his pride and joy. Was always wearing button down shirts bennies freds too, so guess my wardrobe has just grown and i slipped into skinhead without knowing it to some extent, also into a bit of a ivy league look and early stuff. I work in retail so clothes have always been an obbsession and what a good 70% of my wages go on. I love reading about the good old days on here and you guys write some great stuff that is a history lesson and a half. Hope to have some input and read some more...
-Fin.
Welcome! We young 'uns should stick together, I myself am 5 years your senior. Cloths mad (not fashion mad) is a good start especially if you have an eye for ivy kit, stick around and learn from the late 60s kids, been such an eye opener.

Last edited:

chickNcoop

Reaction score
Original skinheads tended to wear them a bit baggier, I have three Barracuta's they do come baggier, which suits me ...however Barracuta also do a slimmer fit.

I own a Fred Perry Harrington and Baracuta Slim G9. The slim Baracuta still isn't as fitted as the FP, about the same lengthwise though, also the arms are a lot roomier.

War Beast

Reaction score
Kilburn skinheads wearing various cardigans back in the day,
tumblr_lidb1ou8gz1qzimkuo1_500-1-1.jpg

Me and Mandy wearing a cardigan last year,
Copy2ofIMG_1209.jpg

I've been lurking for quite sometime since my last post but this deserves a thank you, I have been debating on whether or not to get a cardigan to wear under my white Harrington and you sir have just helped me make the decision to do so.
fistbump.gif

I only see girls or gays wearing them (obviously not in a trad style) but that's what has be keeping me from buying one up to this point.

War Beast

Reaction score
I own a Fred Perry Harrington and Baracuta Slim G9. The slim Baracuta still isn't as fitted as the FP, about the same lengthwise though, also the arms are a lot roomier.
I have a Lonsdale Harrington that fits me perfectly. I'm not sure if it's just my body's build (athletic) but I couldn't ask for an inch more or less anywhere.

OHT

Reaction score

I've been lurking for quite sometime since my last post but this deserves a thank you, I have been debating on whether or not to get a cardigan to wear under my white Harrington and you sir have just helped me make the decision to do so.  :fistbump:

I only see girls or gays wearing them (obviously not in a trad style) but that's what has be keeping me from buying one up to this point.

You should definitely get one. Cardigans give a nice clean look. Don't let others make you think otherwise(just wear it well because that's what counts). :cheers:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the age of 61 I avoid cardigans like the plague - they go with pipe and slippers! But on someone younger they are 'original' gear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads