Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. John Boy

John Boy Member

How would the original skins wear there harringtons? Very fitted or with a bit of room? Just got a barracuta which is on the bigger side. have been wearing a fred perry harrington which is more fitted.

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Original skinheads tended to wear them a bit baggier, I have three Barracuta's they do come baggier, which suits me ...however Barracuta also do a slimmer fit.

3. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Aceface apart from the measuring which looks a bit off to me, their mohair selection is too extreme for me the extreme contrasting colours doesn't work for me.

Take a ref from our local boys how a suit should look.
    (Lasstye, M-o-M, Browniecj, Bunty's bro, Brideshead, everyone's here for a suit showdown)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

4. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

You cannot see much of mine obviously. I recall that was a navy tiny self herringbone made to measure - I think from Burtons. A very 'safe' suit. But I was still at school (I know the date exactly, as it was taken on the occasion of my parents 20th wedding anniversary in June 1967) and I was coming up to 15. After that, when I had more dosh I progressed to bespoke from a local tailor but never could quite embrace two-tone tonik somehow.....

5. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I suppose the other thing that pic reminds me of is just how long we had been attempting to perfect the style which, in 1967, still had no name but was to become skinhead and then die just over two years later (in the south).

The evolution took a longish time.

I suppose that was why I asked Roy the question about what it is 'correct' to wear today at a skinhead bash. For me looking back it is hard to point to a precise time and say 'yes, that's when I really felt I had arrived'. Does that make sense?

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

John i never saw a anyone wearing two tone tonik around our way , it was considered too loud..and what the black lads wore, also i think back then spending all that money on a bespoke suit you tended to go for a more plain material, My first suit was mid blue/black mohair,and the suit in the photo above is a bottle green with dark red pin stripe tonik.
    Two tone trousers worn alone became popular around 70.

As for Ace face suits.. fcuking awful.

7. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I did have a pair of the tonik trousers in 1970 in silver shading to darker grey with very thin tan stripe (still fairly safe). My most expensive trou at the time but the fit was crap! Went back about three times....

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Skinheads these days tend to wear loud two tone suits that are mostly not even mohair material, I don,t know what to say, maybe they just copy those two tone white ska bands of the 80s ??

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I had a pair blue/gold bought from the Squire shop Brewer Street, 1970 a few months later they was out and i never wore them again, :D

10. John Boy

John Boy Member

Cheers Lasttye good to know. It is one of the slim fit but I've gone up a size from what my other harrington was so obviously a bit roomier. Gives me more of an Ivy look I feel which suits my taste.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Spot on john Boy yes more Ivy, which suits me also, :)

12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

It would depend on the build of the bloke, but most of us were skinny anyway and tended to wear them baggy.

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Not a good photo, but yes sometimes we did unbutton our suit jackets. The suit I am wearing there was beige mohair. The bloke standing with me is 'Cockney Bob', his suit is mid-brown. I remember I was wearing a pair of Gibsons and I think Bob's in loafers. Bloody difficult to tell from the photo or to remember.

14. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

This G9 is a slimmer fit but still roomy enough. I probably wore them a bit baggier in 1969.

[​IMG]

15. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Figured i may as well jump on the bandwagon and introduce myself also since ive been lurking this thread for a Fair while. Im also on Ukskinheads (under the same name).
    Im 18, 19 shortly actually, from North Uk, Leeds. My dad comes from the whole era and well remebers local skinheads when he grew up so i was always surround by those stories, he later got into Northern soul big time having gone to The first all nighter in The central Leeds (too young for twisted wheel etc) then progressing Mecca and wigan and all in bewteen. In the car as a kid he would play me Northern soul and motown tapes, and also was into most black music which led me onto Ska, reggae, bit of funk and some early disco even. His vinyl collection is quite impressive and his pride and joy. Was always wearing button down shirts bennies freds too, so guess my wardrobe has just grown and i slipped into skinhead without knowing it to some extent, also into a bit of a ivy league look and early stuff. I work in retail so clothes have always been an obbsession and what a good 70% of my wages go on. I love reading about the good old days on here and you guys write some great stuff that is a history lesson and a half. Hope to have some input and read some more...
    -Fin.