• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
lol, tried kicking the fugger, just ended up scuffing my shoes!!
laugh.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not fair... I love the sweater-vests like that, but I always look overly preppy when I wear them You manage to pull it off in aces.

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
OHT that looks like a really nice vest/tank top. Yea the first time I heard Brits using that term I thought they were talking about an athletic undershirt, since that's what *we* call a tank top on this side of the pond. This is one I just picked up in Tokyo sales, sort of a Nordic snowflake pattern
164129_180785335286720_100000657656728_482360_7822554_n.jpg

Thanx GS/every1
cool.gif
. Likewise to yours and you posted a pic with another sweater vest a while back(That SV looked nice as hell). I always referred to them as sweater vests. btw every1, We call them [tank tops] Wife beaters here in America, lol
laugh.gif
. M-o-M & browniecj, how common was it for a skinhead to wear a long sleeve pullover V-Neck sweater?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
M-o-M & browniecj, how common was it for a skinhead to wear a long sleeve pullover V-Neck sweater?
It was pretty common. I had a couple. Here's a well-known photo from about '69, judging by the girls' clothes; you can see guys wearing sleeveless and long-sleeved sweaters. The wee guy in the foreground is probably wearing a cardigan, though.
69skinslcrowd.jpg
By the way, as for what to call the garments, we called them by the names I gave above - sleeveless sweater and long-sleeved sweater. (Confusingly, the garment known as a "sweater" in the US is called a "sweatshirt" in the UK; two nations divided by a common language!)

KD-fens

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get a new pair of 3/4" clip on braces? Decent quality, not American Apparel.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...wow! What a great thread this has become. Was reading for a few hours now and there is so much interesting stuff (and Jason - as always - waving the flag of the sussed revival skins). Great! I hope this hasn't been postet before: Neat Change
neatchange2.jpg
+ a small article ...do they ring a bell with the older Londoners? Edit: Sorry, didn't read fat enough back - couldn't imagine i missed so many pages - so this is just an old hat...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Hey SoulStylist, was wondering if you were still around these parts....good to see you back!

re: braces, these are 1/2" and well affordable

I was told that delivery from UK is now 4-6 weeks because of delays in their security process for freight, so normally it would have taken about 1 week for delivery, is now a month or more (!!!!!)

as for .75" braces, not easy to find, if you want that specific width. I have one pair, Fred Perry ones from a couple years back, but dont usually see .75", always .5"

KD-fens

Reaction score
Yeah, I had seen the 1/2" ones on JTG before, but I wanted to check to see if 3/4 was available anywhere. I've got a 3/4 pair right now but they're worn out and don't hold too well. Pity about that shipping, but I'm sure it's worth the wait.

soulstylist

Reaction score
Ok, after reading the complete thread again - a few points that weren't talked about, yet (or I just read over them): Coloured socks - red - orange - yellow. Red are quite a big thing with the smart crowd around here, with more colours beeing worn at least for the last ten years (7ts influence?). Striped shirts - when I started out they seemed to be at least as popular as checked ones - seen rarely now - personaly I still prefer these (or plains). StaPrest - ok often discussed - but I still don't get it: What Levi style number was the one available then. I think my first "StaPrest" were ugly, scratchy, cheep things they used to sell at the Cavern in th eighties- did your balls in if you tried to wear those in a aproximation of skinhead style... See also: Old SF StaPrest thread ...and for all the people that are asking about crombies as winter coats - a crombie ist NOT a warm coat. If you're living somewhere with a proper winter like me get a sheepskin (or layer - that's what I did before I could afford one - thick jumper + denim jacket + MA1. Freezing for style is something you only do when you are young...)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soulstylist
Ok, after reading the complete thread again - a few points that weren't talked about, yet (or I just read over them):

Coloured socks - red - orange - yellow. Red are quite a big thing with the smart crowd around here, with more colours beeing worn at least for the last ten years (7ts influence?).

There was a limited socks-with-sweater coordination in the late mod era, mainly matching navy-navy or burgundy-burgundy. There was a slight trend for brighter colours, especially red in late '69. Mainly one stuck to black.

Striped shirts - when I started out they seemed to be at least as popular as checked ones - seen rarely now - personaly I still prefer these (or plains).

I had two or three striped Bens 'back in the day'.

StaPrest - ok often discussed - but I still don't get it: What Levi style number was the one available then. I think my first "StaPrest" were ugly, scratchy, cheep things they used to sell at the Cavern in the eighties- did your balls in if you tried to wear those in a aproximation of skinhead style...

Blowed if I know - we just went into the shop and asked for a pair of Sta-Prest!

...and for all the people that are asking about crombies as winter coats - a crombie is NOT a warm coat. If you're living somewhere with a proper winter like me get a sheepskin (or layer - that's what I did before I could afford one - thick jumper + denim jacket + MA1. Freezing for style is something you only do when you are young...)

We WERE young!
smile.gif

soulstylist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
We WERE young!
smile.gif

..of course! But you had a sheepie!

I think I'm getting old - like telling the young ones what to do "You can't go out like this - you'll catch a cold!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads