• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are talking about a very small percentage of blokes n birds who consider themselves Skinheads who really look the part . Wish it was not that way but sta prest and a tight 60s shirt looks so much better on a skinny 14 year old than a 54 year old man whatever way you look at it .

I agree with the tight shirt but there were many examples at Margate where a Sta Prest style of Trouser was worn properly.They were not around the arse with Boots.Lasttye has a very smart pair(which he has worn on more than one occasion)and again worn properly.Have you been to the "Weekender" I speak about flyfronted? Before going to the Dos I would have thought the same-but I have been pleasantly surprised. and I have travelled about.

flyfronted

Reaction score
I agree with the tight shirt but there were many examples at Margate where a Sta Prest style of Trouser was worn properly.They were not around the arse with Boots.Lasttye has a very smart pair(which he has worn on more than one occasion)and again worn properly.Have you been to the "Weekender" I speak about flyfronted? Before going to the Dos I would have thought the same-but I have been pleasantly surprised. and I have travelled about.
I have been to a few doo's in recent years mainly the Set the Tone 67 ones at the Social in little portland st . There were some younger ( 25 ish ) lads and girls who did look the part . My opinion however is that a full look will always look better on skinny herberts than Dads - in the same way as pics of 16 yr old Edwardians in 1953 look so much better than 40 something teds in 1975 . ill always wear a lot of the gear but would think of myself as Ivy league rather than a Skinhead these days

flyfronted

Reaction score
Man-of-Mystery.I wear some of the clothes myself,you are right some of them do look ok for middle aged blokes because thats who they were intended for originally,its knowing where to stop i think.
I guess braces , boots and trousers halfway up your harris are out ( sound like my mum now ) but a nice 60s oxford , levi vintage and brogues will remain simply timeless .

flyfronted

Reaction score
There were some bloody awful jokes, songs, and chants. You're right about the Aberfan ones - they were totally sick (like Q: What's black and goes to school? A: A slag heap). Then there was "Campbell's Cream of Coniston Soup - there's more body in it". And "Q: What's red on the outside, brown on the inside, and screams? A: A London bus full of Pakistanis going off a cliff".

Anyone remember the song which went to the tune of 'The Drunken Sailor"?

What shall we do with the (insert name) bastards?
What shall we do with the ... bastards?
What shall we do with the ... bastards?
Ear-lye in the morning.

Stab, stab, stab the bastards!
Ear-lye in the morning.

Atrocious, but I bet you'll be whistling it all day!
Chelsea North Stand / Shed fave .. to the tune of the Blayden races
'All the Yids you should have seen em running
running down the fulham road when they saw the chelsea coming
big jim and sammy skyves
you should have seen there faces
when they saw the chelsea boys
in there boots n braces '

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Your name wouldn't be Caleb, would it?
biggrin.gif

You know I was thinking about saying that as I was typing the message, but no I'm not I'm not Caleb and why is he saying that's his name I thought it was Roy? I've been told such big feet or bigger weren't really common back then a more recent development most likely due to all the hormones pumped into the foods nowadays.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Chelsea North Stand / Shed fave .. to the tune of the Blayden races 
'All the Yids you should have seen em running 
running down the fulham road when they saw the chelsea coming 
big jim and sammy skyves 
you should have seen there faces 
when they saw the chelsea boys 
in there boots n braces ' 

We don't carry razors, we don't carry lead,
We only carry hatchets - to bury in your head,
We are all supporters, fanatics every one,
We all hate Man City, Leeds and Leeds and...

With a bow-legged chicken and two knock-knees,
We hate Arsenal, we hate Leeds,
City fans, get on your knees,
Worship the Stretford, Enders...

(Stretford End faves c1969) :satisfied:

flyfronted

Reaction score
We don't carry razors, we don't carry lead,
We only carry hatchets - to bury in your head,
We are all supporters, fanatics every one,
We all hate Man City, Leeds and Leeds and...

With a bow-legged chicken and two knock-knees,
We hate Arsenal, we hate Leeds,
City fans, get on your knees,
Worship the Stretford, Enders...

(Stretford End faves c1969)
satisfied.gif
to the tune wandering star
' i was born
under the chelsea Shed
knives are made for stabbing
guns are made to shoot
if you come into the chelsea shed
well all stick in the boot '

charming eh LOL

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are around the East End this Saturday,3rd August,2013,there is "Live Injection" on at the Stags Head,55,Orsmam Road,Hoxton N1 5RA.It goes from 9pm - 1am Admission Free.

This one is nothing to do with me,but helping to spread the word.Certainly will be there and I hoping to meet some of the Faces from this Forum-as well :fonz:

TomMc666

Reaction score
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]The Stags Head is f[/FONT]airly easy to get to, a short walk from Hoxton and Haggerston stations, not even that far to walk through from Old Street.... and next to Kingsland Road with buses to points north, south, east and west.

Live Injection is here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/live-injection/204965048496

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flyfronted,I have another couple of "verses" to your song.....
"Boots are made for bovver,
Trains were made to wreck,
And if i see a City fan i,ll break his f***ing neck.

Who,s the greatest player,
???? is his name,
And if you come to Eastville,
You wont go home again"...............

I can remember loads of songs and chants,but i cant remember from when in the 70s,its like certain games or styles they get mixed up,a mate of mine Topper had a brilliant memory , records,football matches,who did what and where,he could remember it all,i envy that.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Maybe of interest ?
Extract of an interview of the actor Gary Oldman:

Back then, though, it was the Seventies and I suppose I was a sort of suedehead - I wasn't really a skinhead, but it was still a bit of a uniform. You had the Crombie coat with the pocket handkerchief with the stud. I owned a couple of those, I walked into school assembly once and I had a white 'Benny' on - a Ben Sherman shirt, button-down with a pleat in the back and a little hanger loop above it. I didn't have a jacket on and the headmaster, before I even landed, said, 'Oldman, wait outside my office.'
The accessories were important - loafers and brogues, and the socks: they were white and red. I remember saving up for things. I used to get up really early and do the round with the milkman; and I had a paper round. I remember gazing into shop windows at a pair of brogues or Dr Martens on the other side of the glass, like that ring in Lord of the Rings! And I'd think, 'Three more weeks…'

Full text here:
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG9188999/Gary-Oldman-interview-Dressing-the-part.html

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's been brought up before on this thread, but does anybody have any experience with Kamakura shirts? They're an ivy-obsessed Japanese shirtmaker who have recently opened a shop in NYC. I took the plunge($79/shirt) on a green/white striped OCBD, and for what you'd pay for a Brooks Brothers, you get a better collar roll, better cut options, and exact measurements(i.e. 16.5/33 as opposed to S, M, L, XL). Really high quality shirts...
Beautiful heavy but breathable oxford weave, impeccable stitching, and collar that roll like butter. Only downsides are no locker loop and it's only a 2-button collar so no third. Back yoke stitched at the top, and the Tokyo Slim fit has darts in the back. Their cuts are New York, New York slimfit, Tokyo(what I have), and Tokyo slim fit.
I ain't working on commission or anything, but I was pretty blown away by the quality to price ratio of the shirts.

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com

Anybody else take the plunge?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads