1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I thought the same,I am the same age as him and whilst I agreed with the adapting of school uniform with sta prest,BD and brogues I certainly don't remember the older lads asking me for style tips.

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

The point of this text excerpt's (in its entirety) was just to show that in 1969-70, the young Weller was aware & fashion-conscious of the skinhead/suedehead fashion. I think you're right, what says this bloke (Baker, apparently a Weller's friend at the time) is probably exaggerated. But at the same time, there were always followers and leaders.
    I know the Weller subject in England is a bit touchy (tabloids, etc.) as he's a celebrity. It's not the case here, where he's just another english singer - respected for his work as an artist, & of course former Jam member - ), when he comes to play, it's in small venues, where he's very close to the public, as he's only appreciated and known by a few people here.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Aye, but are you a green anarcho-syndicalist or a blue yin?

The Mod to Suedehead forum should be told! :satisfied:

Love,

Your favourite Hun.

FTR: I was also embarrassed by the George Square episode, it made the Scots look like third-world bawbags!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Nae bliddy idea, pal. Eh wiz born colour-blind! :D

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I think this is pure shite as the Guys in Woking were pretty much to what was happening(even at 14).Guildford was only about 15 miles away from Woking,and there was plenty of Clothes Shops there-I think this is what is called "trying to get street cred".

6. Inks

Inks Senior member

Love or hate the 'Woking class hero',he is still responsible for bringing Leah Weller into the world. So, I give him a pass for that.
    As for making two-tone teddy-boy-style winkle-pickers a 'Mod thing', he deserves a (redacted)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Love or hate the 'Woking class hero',he is still responsible for bringing Leah Weller into the world. So, I give him a pass for that.

Certainly agree with this. :)

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

9. Man-of-Mystery

I have to admit that she's a very attractive young woman.

10. ThinkSmart

ThinkSmart Member

" teddy-boy-style winkle-pickers a 'Mod thing', he deserves a (redacted)"

Winkle pickers were a Mod thing between about 1959 and 1961 as a reaction to the brothel creepers of the Teds. Teds didn't wear winkle pickers originally, it was a fashionable drift towards them inspired by USA culture towards the end of the 1950s. Mods soon evolved onwards towards loafers and the like. A lot of the early Mod fashion wouldn't look like Mod as we recognise it today - collarless Pierre Cardin jackets later adopted by The Beatles were a brief thing about 1960 too. It's always fun to look at pictures of the first wave of Mods and wonder how it ended up as a uniformed look.

Interestingly the shoe of choice for early Modernists in the mid-1950s was Church's brown brogues which we wouldn't perhaps expect.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Man-of-Mystery

The Book:
    Slow process, still transcribing from the thread. Only got as far as p.514, but at least it's a 'moving vehicle'. Sorry it's taking so long.

12. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

How accurate are the modernaction candy stripped long sleeve shirts (OG, 2nd Wave, etc) ? I recently picked up the new skinheads book by Derek Ridgers (It's all later wave 1979-1984). Anyhow I noticed quite a few lads wearing the stripped shirts but cannot tell any further details like the angle of the pocket pattern, etc.

http://www.modernaction.net/sitebuilder/images/RedStripe-568x752.jpg

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Whilst walking through the corridors of Basildon Hospital,this week,I spotted a Gent(in his mid 20s) wearing late 50s/early 60s pure Ivy League.I stopped and watched him walk through the crowd.He had obviously thought about what he was wearing-as opposed to just chucking it together.He even finished it off with a Briefcase in the shape, that belonged to that time.It was good to see(my Missus totally missed him).:)

14. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

That would be good to see , Buddie , someone standing out in a crowd , for all the right reasons . It reminded me that these sort of gents really stand out to the likes of us . It also reminded me of a young guy I saw in the city centre a couple of months ago , Barnett caught my eye first , which was early skinhead (early Weller?) , navy blue Baracuta , red FP , very smart 501's and burgundy long wings and a nicely dressed complimentary bird . .

The book we are talking about would be the new Sawdust Ceasars ? I know a couple of guys who were Mods in the early 6ts and of course , they never thought of themselves as Mods but it was all about the gear . I also have an uncle who was wearing Italian style , bum freezer suits , winkle puckers and a tightly cropped Barnett . There are some good pictures of such but by 1961 he was running around on a fast BSA motorcycle . .

Reading the Weller article from the Guardian , reminded me of how we did put in an effort back in the day whereas , nowadays , perhaps there isn't the same dedication. I sometimes did wonder back then where some kids got their ideas from considering there was no internet or even decent books you could get . Instead it all seemed to be at street level and driven by only perhaps a couple of people who were always able to impress . I remember one guy who I got on very well with appeared wearing a very stylish Byford . When I asked where he got it it was from a large store that I would never have dreamed of going into. That changed my perspective a lot back then. On another occasion I visited Madrid , where , it seemed that the Ivy Look was still very popular and one was able to get quality items at good prices , even if they weren't made by the names we knew. .

15. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Comforting to think that maybe,just maybe, a gent with such panache could be performing your next Colonoscopy :happy:

16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D:D

17. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

:uhoh:

:eek:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  18. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

What did he have on?

1 person likes this.
  19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I went back to the Levi's store today to have another look at the leather trucker jacket. Except that it's made in India, well not such a problem for me...
    [​IMG]
    ... And that i don't like the leather too much, i'm still interested by the jacket, quite rare. But today i noticed a wrong detail (i think ?), the buttons are like on a denim jacket, and are not press studs.
    [​IMG]
    I always thought/red that on leather or suede trucker, they had to be press studs (that's the case on an old & nice Schott suede trucker i have). Any opinion, remembrance on that ? Except the fact that it may be a wrong detail (compared to the original), i fear the leather at the buttonholes may tear apart (with time). But i must say, on a second look, the jacket looks quite good.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  20. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

A Crisp White Shirt,Dark Cravat,a very smart Check Jacket(In Maroon-unlike anything you would get in a British Shop,unless J.Simons has them).Beef Roll Loafers and smart Black Trousers.His Hair was slick with a side parting(shades of "Mad Men".He stopped me in my tracks......:)