1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Didnt we all...been thinking I was older for fucking years

I reckon Ill be like Benjamin button and as I get older Ill start wearing trendy trainers, caps and that, start listening to house music,haha...

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I remember them well. In '68 the side pockets made them distinctive.

1 person likes this.
  3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Was it not this Style that Levi copied later(putting in side pockets I mean).

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I would say so, along with other brands such as the (much later) Gap suede I have.

Having said that, the 'Westcott' (?) cheapo I had at the time also had side pockets.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that down here people seemed to want Levi jackets for a denim jacket, and Wrangler for cord jackets,although Levi did a stone coloured cord one and I saw a few of them being worn.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I think Levi was the first to introduce a denim jacket, that appeared on their catalogue as early as 1905 but probably existed before. But this jacket, with a single pocket and a back buckle (later called the levi's 506) was nothing like their trucker jacket, who was influenced by the Lee 101J (most commonly called "Rider jacket") who appeared in the early 30s, long before the Levi's 557XX "trucker" (1962) .
    The first Wrangler denim jacket appeared in 1948. The Levi's jackets with pockets (introduced late 60s) look a lot in shape like the trucker jackets, but a bit longer. The pockets are not as slanted, and the jacket looks far more better (imho) that the Wrangler shown in the pictures posted. I must say i don't know much about Wrangler, i've always been into Levi's and more recently into Lee. Mr Buttons would have, i guess, a lot to say on the denim (jacket) subject.
    Speaking of trucker jacket, i had a look in a Levi's shop here at the new Leather and suede jackets. Both are made in India, the cut is not perfect, and the leather doesn't look to be of good quality (the suede's better but quite thin). Don't worth the money they ask for it.
    Still on the Levi's subject (501 etc.), at least here, as far as i remember, the Made in USA ones were always the much sought after, for "look" and quality.

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Levi (I believe)did a few Colours in Cord Jackets.I can remember a Mate of mine having a Blue one,in the 60s.

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting Clouseau,though I do not remember seeing Levi Jackets with Pockets,until the 70s.The one I bought in `68(and `70 which a Girlfriend nicked,years later), certainly did not have them-because they had a shape as opposed to the Wrangler which seemed baggier.

The present Leather will never have the quality of the original ones,but it is still not bad.I have not seen the Suede so I cannot comment.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

You may be right about that Browniecj, the sources are contradictory, some says late 60s, others early to mid 80s...

10. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

[​IMG]
    Chelsea FA Cup 70 Parade

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting Photo,seeing it`s Chelsea 1970.

12. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

[​IMG]

Early West Ham skinheads ? 1923 Wembley. Both my Grandads are in there somewhere. They look too smart to be Bolton Boys.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  13. Bob the Badger

What's the name of the big pub in the background?

14. Bob the Badger

It has been written before but, just to add, I can't remember any of us wearing T-shirts under our Ben Shermans in 68/69/70. In about 1964/65 I remember we used to have cheap white T-shirts which, as kids, we customized with what we thought were Mod symbols. It was all done very badly and had a home made look, but we didn't care. Our mums always insisted that we had to wear vests or we would 'catch our death of cold'. In 1968 I think we regarded string vests or singlets as something 'the old man' would wear so our smart shirts were vest or T-shirt free.
    My group would wear the shirts with only top button undone, even when we had ties on. Later (and to this day) I would always wear T-shirts (white) under a BD shirt and originally they had to be made by 'Fruit of the Loom'. With the wearing of T-shirts we would undo 2 buttons on the BD shirt to reveal the T-shirt under, USA/Ivy style.I have almost wiped from my memory the late Suedehead period when I believe we wore Loon pants, Clogs or platform boots, bootleg and flared jeans and 'well dodgy' collared shirts. That didn't really happen,did it?

15. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

The World's End i think ..

16. Bob the Badger

I thought it was. Just checking. I have been in there once or twice.

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:):)

18. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

You and me both B the B

19. elwood

elwood Senior member

On BBC4 tonight at 9pm, series on link between music and fashion in 60s "Oh! You Pretty Things: The Story of Music and Fashion". Supposedly will include coverage of rudeboy and skinhead trends. May well just be the usual clichés and stock footage but you can hope. I'll be recording it to watch later in the week as a certain football match will have my attention tonight.

20. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Thanks for the nod, I'll do the same then.

Could have been one down in first minute...