1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I have no idea what you're talking about.

1 person likes this.
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Roytonboy, i misunderstood (partially). English subtleties are not always easy for me... But i was more trying to react to Covskin post than to yours. I never wanted to say that checked shirts were not worn by the Originals, as there are photographic evidences, testimonies, etc.
    I remember the only braces i wore (in the 80s) were first to my dad. They were "old man style", very nice, black, 1/2 inch, and the inside was light grey. They must have been from the 60s or even the 50s. I moved some years ago and i remember i throw them away... Do i have to say i regret ?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

roytonboy,I am pretty sure that Brutus did some colourful tartan check ones,a red one and a blue and green one.I remember an older lad in Weymouth who worked for my relations wore a BD with pink and turquoise and white checks about 3/4" square,sounds horrible but I liked it then,not sure of make.

I certainly didn't see blokes wearing clothes like the ones in "the other Margate" video, I think these blokes want to make a statement with big boots and bright colours,not sure I want to know why.

4. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Yeh , neither does he , Buddie. .

1 person likes this.
  5. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

6. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Nice Job on this,including the Modern Art and all Dat of the 50's was a nice touch not often recognized but Def was part of the influence(all things new and novel) Small Faces Rule OK

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Thanks for that, Yankmod, i really enjoyed the show ! [​IMG]
    I think the Original aged well (when you have a look at the picture - we well know - of his youth) and is still very smart in the classic look.
    Maroon harrington, off-white sta-prest, chunky black tassel loafers, a check shirt - not in lousy colors- and no braces, can't go wrong with that !...

8. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Those ' Skinheads ' outside the pub .. could not work out if they were the Gay branch or late 70s Boneheads got old n fat , either way they all looked a ' bit Dick Emery ' .

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Would say late 70s boneheads go old n fat...n bald.
    Finally they've got more or less the same clobber as the Original. But the devil is in the details: lousy colors, braces other checked shirts, trousers too short, ugly footwear, etc.
    Of course i wouldn't tell them, i don't run as fast as i used to ! [​IMG] And if they are happy like that after all...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  10. ShortBackAndSides

ShortBackAndSides Active Member

I've just finished reading Sharpe as a Blade Part One the 50's & 60's by Ronnie Sharpe. It tells the story of his early days supporting Sheffield United. An interesting read recounting the start of mass football hooliganism. It also documents him growing up in Dronfield, which I now know is between Chesterfield and Sheffield. He was a greaser hooligan, but some mentions of skinheads towards the end of the book. He claims to have spotted his first skinhead in September '69 at Watford, which seems late. Only a few pounds as a Kindle download. A lot of the book rings true, but not sure how someone can remember quite so much detail from forty plus years ago. Word of warning, grammar and punctuation leave a lot to be desired.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Is it cold in England, or is it just for the look ? It's true he's an ex-suedehead.
    [​IMG]
    The girl standing in sheepskin has got the same haircut ![​IMG] :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. covskin

covskin Senior member

Weller's dyed brown wool version looks best. The natural colour ones remind me of the sheepskin rugs that mothers used to clean and dress their babies on.

13. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

might buy myself a sheepie this winter can anyone recomend a place to find a nice short 60s style one ?

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Try down Brick Lane(the undercover parts).

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Weller was born `58,so not in the original times(he would have been 12).:)

16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Maybe Ronnie Sharpe could not remember earlier,being a Greaser probably only took him to certain places.:)

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Apparently, he was "fashion-conscious" very young. Excerpt from "Paul Weller: My ever changing moods" by John Reed:

So the boots and braces image gave way to what was labelled the suedehead look. (...) This was the look Weller was keen to adopt, but since most of these clothes weren't available in Woking - at least not in Paul's size - he would save up for trips to Petticoat lane, London famous East End market, held very sunday. (...) "He had brogues and Doc Martens" (...) The teenage Weller even made is school uniform something to be proud of as Baker explains. "He didn't dress out of uniform, he used to adapt it. It was, like, dark grey trousers but he'd come in with pale grey Sta-prest, and his tie might have a red line through it or he'd wear a lemon-coloured shirt instead of white. He was a bit rebellious; he never wanted to conform. The blokes a couple of years above used to consult him about fashion and clothes" (...) Of course, music and fashion have always lived hand-in-hand, and the soundtrack for the skinhead/suedehead movement, of which Weller was an initiate, was reggae. (...)
    The eleven-year-old suedehead had to look elsewhere for entertainment, and discovered local discos at the football club south of the station down in old Woking...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  18. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Have you been on the Buckie? :embar:

Where has MoM expressed ANY political allegiances?

Get a grip, man!

19. Man-of-Mystery

I think I may have admitted to being an 'anarcho-syndicalist' somewhere early in the thread, but I've never given any indication of which way I voted (if at all) in the Scottish referendum. In any case, the blokes I was going on about were/are perfectly entitled to their opinions and brand of patriotism. It wasn't that I was objecting to, it was their behaviour.

20. Man-of-Mystery

Excuse my cynicism, but that seems a little too much like wishful thinking.