• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

harrysgame

Reaction score

As it seems Spring might have arrived in these parts, I have a question - has anyone any recommendations where to get a good white/ off-white flyfronted mac, as "authentic" as possible to the original period? (I must have got rid of mine in 1973 or 1974 - not that it would be anywhere near a fit for me now. Damned if I can remember where it came from, either. Might have been Stone-Dri or even M&S.) Always did like that look and still think it would look v. smart.

I have a nice Aquascutum one.
But i have also seen some cheaper but very nice ones in TK maxx. Always worth a look. They do some nice covert/crombie style coats too for less than £100.00.

Pequod

Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a 7 year old, this is the car I dreamed of owning in the late 60s :)

Ah the Spectrum Persuit Vehicle, where the driver faced backwards....how cool is that?

As a 7 year old in 1970, I dreamed of owning the Joe 90 car.

It's huge, takes up two lanes, it flies, and looks about as well streamlined as a milk float! :D

BTW my favourite Gerry Anderson fantastic vehicle is the Thunderbids tree cutting and road laying machine.

The front end cuts down and "eats" trees while the back end squirts out a motorway, complete with white lines.

I can still watch and enjoy the Supermarionation programmes now. However I find the live action UFO and Space 1999(Flares 1999) to be rather boring. Too much talking and not enough incredible machinery I think.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The bloke who lives next to me olds had a robin as he only had a bike license, am i right in thinking that the early ones had no reverse gear, which related to the bike license

I've also heard about that, not sure if it was true or not. Maybe something from the really early days of Reliants? Although I was very young, I can't ever remember my father having difficulty in parking it, like all having to get out and pushing it back into a parking space.

I've seen a few plastic three-wheelers here that look very similar to the later Robins. Maybe when Reliant closed their Tamworth factory in 2002. they sold it to a Chinese car-maker.

buttons

Reaction score

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons

That's a classic ' 68 pic,and very much as how i remember that time.Longer Levis,top button done up etc.Think you are right on the money with the suede .
Are you sure you're not a forensic detective Buttons?

Last edited:

buttons

Reaction score
Quote:
That's a classic ' 68 pic,and very much as how i remember that time.Longer Levis,top button done up etc.Think you are right on the money with the suede . Are you sure you're not a forensic detective Buttons?
Ha ha - about my only comparison with a 'detective' is a like a suit, mac and trilby! But I can spot a suede Levi at 50 paces!

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Not dated. http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/me...d/Memory/ebc387e5-8a41-4e91-bb18-85626dfdc410

Top quality pics - well spotted Pequod - great find!

The lad at Southend with his bird in the white shirt and black waistcoat - anyone remember that being a look?

We knew them as 'sleeveless cardigans' and they were a particular favorite of mine I remember i had black and beige ones. I had a beige one on down Margate last year when we met up - obviously not the same one as the hem would have been up round me arm pits

buttons

Reaction score

We knew them as 'sleeveless cardigans' and they were a particular favorite of mine I remember i had black and beige ones.  I had a beige one on down Margate last year when we met up - obviously not the same one as the hem would have been up round me arm pits

I like a sleeveless cardigan - see me on the left a few weeks ago, with some mates in Scotland.

But in the pic from Southend, its tapered down to a point on each side at the front - like a suit waistcoat, not finished off square like a cardy would be. See what I mean?
He may have had a suit jacket on with it, that day, but I'm assuming its worn on its own with sta press and a shirt.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
I only had one waistcoat in '68/69, which was part of a 3-piece Tonik mohair suit. Hardly used to wear it and definitely not without the jacket. I did have sleeveless cardi's tho'. What surprises me, thinking back was how much knitwear we all owned. I had several cardigans, sleeveless v necks, long sleeved shetland v necks etc. All made in England (or Scotland) and bought in High Street shops. For the cardi's beige was a popular colour.
Regarding the Southend photo I notice the girl had long hair and I seem to remember most of my girlfriends had shoulder length hair and some were even hippyish. Friendship with mates seemed to come before girlfriends.I only saw girls at school or on nights when the mates weren't doing anything special.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
I only had one waistcoat in '68/69, which was part of a 3-piece Tonik mohair suit. Hardly used to wear it and definitely not without the jacket. I did have sleeveless cardi's tho'. What surprises me, thinking back was how much knitwear we all owned. I had several cardigans, sleeveless v necks, long sleeved shetland v necks etc. All made in England (or Scotland) and bought in High Street shops. For the cardi's beige was a popular colour.
Regarding the Southend photo I notice the girl had long hair and I seem to remember most of my girlfriends had shoulder length hair and some were even hippyish. Friendship with mates seemed to come before girlfriends.I only saw girls at school or on nights when the mates weren't doing anything special.
Your right there were a lot of knitwear, all as you described worn back then - was it because it was colder then? We also tended to have summer and winter clothes where as now days you wear shortsleeves in winter and long sleeve in summer or whatever takes your fancy. Also we went a lot on foot so you had to be prepared for the weather where as to day its jump in a car or cab. Nowdays I don't even know if M&S do a decent cardigan anymore as back then they were popular place to buy from

I would say that a good majority of girls back then had should length hair and it was always an eye catcher with the lads. There was certain nights you did not see your girl especially Friday night was always lads night. It was hard to keep the balance because you did not want to miss out on any action with your mates

elwood

Reaction score
Thanks, gents for all the suggestions about flyfronted macs. I'll do some following up on those. Agree with comments about short length being a problem these days. Seem to remember knee-length as the style then, but as with so much else from the period not completely sure about my memory's reliability.

Interesting comments as well about popularity of dark blue macs back then due to fitting in with school uniform rules. I wore a stone mac for school around 1971/ 1972, like a lot of lads in my year, and it makes me wonder now how they passed the beady eye of the "authorities" - not being a completely regulation colour. I can only think that they were regarded as smart, adult wear to be encouraged in the face of some of the scruffy, hippy greatcoat-type wear that some others were trying to get away with. (Anyone remember those awful long needlecord jobs in fairly lurid colours?).

elwood

Reaction score
without seeing it on a real person it looks like a lab coat.
A bit of an aside prompted by your comment about "lab coat", yankmod. White labcoats, or what we knew as "butcher coats"*, (but quite distinct from macs) were fairly common gear on football terraces in the Later Bootboy Period (this is starting to sound like geology
smile.gif
). Round about the time of wider, baggier denims worn with DMs: from memory about 1975 - 1978. The white colour allowed the wearer to customise the coat with their own "artwork": team and player names, club crests, slogans, general threats of impending violence, abuse of rivals etc. usually worked up in coloured felt pen. They could vary between fairly impressive artwork almost like tattoo art at one end of the spectrum and pretty scruffy scribbles at the other.

* think of a white version of the warehouseman's coat that Ronnie Barker wears as Arkwright in "Open All Hours". (Glad to hear you've got into that, it's absolutely classic.)

yankmod

Reaction score
A bit of an aside prompted by your comment about "lab coat", yankmod. White labcoats, or what we knew as "butcher coats"*, (but quite distinct from macs) were fairly common gear on football terraces in the Later Bootboy Period (this is starting to sound like geology
smile.gif
). Round about the time of wider, baggier denims worn with DMs: from memory about 1975 - 1978. The white colour allowed the wearer to customise the coat with their own "artwork": team and player names, club crests, slogans, general threats of impending violence, abuse of rivals etc. usually worked up in coloured felt pen. They could vary between fairly impressive artwork almost like tattoo art at one end of the spectrum and pretty scruffy scribbles at the other.

* think of a white version of the warehouseman's coat that Ronnie Barker wears as Arkwright in "Open All Hours". (Glad to hear you've got into that, it's absolutely classic.)
Thanks for the info elwood.Remember seeing a few blokes in old Football footage and wondered what they was up to(thought they was butchers just off work)Watched "Going Straight" Now watching "Clarence" "Two Ronnies" will be next.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads