Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I spotted one recently in the men's dept at John Lewis in Glasgow. They also do Gant shirts, FP, and BS.

2. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

3. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

I have a nice Aquascutum one.
    But i have also seen some cheaper but very nice ones in TK maxx. Always worth a look. They do some nice covert/crombie style coats too for less than £100.00.

4. Pequod

Pequod Member

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Ah the Spectrum Persuit Vehicle, where the driver faced backwards....how cool is that?

As a 7 year old in 1970, I dreamed of owning the Joe 90 car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's huge, takes up two lanes, it flies, and looks about as well streamlined as a milk float! :D

BTW my favourite Gerry Anderson fantastic vehicle is the Thunderbids tree cutting and road laying machine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The front end cuts down and "eats" trees while the back end squirts out a motorway, complete with white lines.

I can still watch and enjoy the Supermarionation programmes now. However I find the live action UFO and Space 1999(Flares 1999) to be rather boring. Too much talking and not enough incredible machinery I think.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I've also heard about that, not sure if it was true or not. Maybe something from the really early days of Reliants? Although I was very young, I can't ever remember my father having difficulty in parking it, like all having to get out and pushing it back into a parking space.

I've seen a few plastic three-wheelers here that look very similar to the later Robins. Maybe when Reliant closed their Tamworth factory in 2002. they sold it to a Chinese car-maker.

7. buttons

buttons Senior member

8. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by buttons [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a classic ' 68 pic,and very much as how i remember that time.Longer Levis,top button done up etc.Think you are right on the money with the suede .
    Are you sure you're not a forensic detective Buttons?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

9. buttons

buttons Senior member

Ha ha - about my only comparison with a 'detective' is a like a suit, mac and trilby! But I can spot a suede Levi at 50 paces!

10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

We knew them as 'sleeveless cardigans' and they were a particular favorite of mine I remember i had black and beige ones. I had a beige one on down Margate last year when we met up - obviously not the same one as the hem would have been up round me arm pits

11. buttons

buttons Senior member

I like a sleeveless cardigan - see me on the left a few weeks ago, with some mates in Scotland.
    [​IMG]

But in the pic from Southend, its tapered down to a point on each side at the front - like a suit waistcoat, not finished off square like a cardy would be. See what I mean?
    He may have had a suit jacket on with it, that day, but I'm assuming its worn on its own with sta press and a shirt.

12. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I only had one waistcoat in '68/69, which was part of a 3-piece Tonik mohair suit. Hardly used to wear it and definitely not without the jacket. I did have sleeveless cardi's tho'. What surprises me, thinking back was how much knitwear we all owned. I had several cardigans, sleeveless v necks, long sleeved shetland v necks etc. All made in England (or Scotland) and bought in High Street shops. For the cardi's beige was a popular colour.
    Regarding the Southend photo I notice the girl had long hair and I seem to remember most of my girlfriends had shoulder length hair and some were even hippyish. Friendship with mates seemed to come before girlfriends.I only saw girls at school or on nights when the mates weren't doing anything special.

13. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Your right there were a lot of knitwear, all as you described worn back then - was it because it was colder then? We also tended to have summer and winter clothes where as now days you wear shortsleeves in winter and long sleeve in summer or whatever takes your fancy. Also we went a lot on foot so you had to be prepared for the weather where as to day its jump in a car or cab. Nowdays I don't even know if M&S do a decent cardigan anymore as back then they were popular place to buy from

I would say that a good majority of girls back then had should length hair and it was always an eye catcher with the lads. There was certain nights you did not see your girl especially Friday night was always lads night. It was hard to keep the balance because you did not want to miss out on any action with your mates

14. elwood

elwood Senior member

Thanks, gents for all the suggestions about flyfronted macs. I'll do some following up on those. Agree with comments about short length being a problem these days. Seem to remember knee-length as the style then, but as with so much else from the period not completely sure about my memory's reliability.

Interesting comments as well about popularity of dark blue macs back then due to fitting in with school uniform rules. I wore a stone mac for school around 1971/ 1972, like a lot of lads in my year, and it makes me wonder now how they passed the beady eye of the "authorities" - not being a completely regulation colour. I can only think that they were regarded as smart, adult wear to be encouraged in the face of some of the scruffy, hippy greatcoat-type wear that some others were trying to get away with. (Anyone remember those awful long needlecord jobs in fairly lurid colours?).

15. elwood

elwood Senior member

A bit of an aside prompted by your comment about "lab coat", yankmod. White labcoats, or what we knew as "butcher coats"*, (but quite distinct from macs) were fairly common gear on football terraces in the Later Bootboy Period (this is starting to sound like geology [​IMG]). Round about the time of wider, baggier denims worn with DMs: from memory about 1975 - 1978. The white colour allowed the wearer to customise the coat with their own "artwork": team and player names, club crests, slogans, general threats of impending violence, abuse of rivals etc. usually worked up in coloured felt pen. They could vary between fairly impressive artwork almost like tattoo art at one end of the spectrum and pretty scruffy scribbles at the other.

* think of a white version of the warehouseman's coat that Ronnie Barker wears as Arkwright in "Open All Hours". (Glad to hear you've got into that, it's absolutely classic.)