• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

buttons

Reaction score

Good Photos Buttons.Got through the Picture(today)of me and Jim Cox.If someone Pms me,I will try and put it up.Bit slow,due to old age!!!!:D

Not seen it but did find this one though ....

Gramps

Reaction score
Unusual to see you in a 3 piece without a tie Buttons.

Go back a few years, and you were the only bugger you DID see wearing one. Looks like you gave Jim a good send off.

Nice pics Bunty, and Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush, is up there with A taste of Honey and Up the Junction among my favourite Flicks.

Love the 60's Kitchen Sink Drama's

Along with the obvious Get Carter, Blow Up etc...

McDermott

Reaction score
Posted on another forum im sure some of you are on as well was this great clip :

French programme on skins being racist, but some great little bits of footage i hadnt seen before - thought it might appeal.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Lost track of which picture's which but the youngster in the pale suit and brown Brutus is Mr Twist Tag.

Basset, Buttons & John (can't remember his name on here but he's another original '69 skinhead)
Great night.
Very sharp, lads - well impressed. :satisfied:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Posted on another forum im sure some of you are on as well was this great clip :

French programme on skins being racist, but some great little bits of footage i hadnt seen before - thought it might appeal.

Good shots of Brixton Market as well.What I found funny was the French saying we were Rascist=with their "Track Record"
Pity a Camera Crew does not go round Britain today!!!!!

buttons

Reaction score

Unusual to see you in a 3 piece without a tie Buttons.

Go back a few years, and you were the only bugger you DID see wearing one. Looks like you gave Jim a good send off.

Nice pics Bunty, and Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush, is up there with A taste of Honey and Up the Junction among my favourite Flicks.

Love the 60's Kitchen Sink Drama's

Along with the obvious Get Carter, Blow Up etc...

I like a tie on many occasions. Have always worn one, even when I was still at school (when ties were the enemy to most!)
There's a lot wearing them these days so I thought I'd give it a miss for the night (and I heard the club was a real sweatbox, which it turned out not to be).
Don't think Jim was too disappointed with the turnout!

Turned up in the pub upstairs at the start of the night - pub was packed with skinheads, suits galore - buzzing atmosphere.

Good finds as always, Bunty.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
.....talking of '67.....(great pics by the way)

The Fiddlers Pub, Dagenham 1967. Peter Heed. (Don't think we've had this one before?)
And 'Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush' 1967 (stop groaning) This is the 'church rave scene' filmed at The Bowes Lyon Club, Stevenage.
(Quadrophenia was dedicated to the 'kids of Stevenage New Town', must have been quite a place back then!)
Some of the dancers in the background are early Skins.(Watch from 1:40)

Just for interest, cute Moddy girls with customised jumpers.

Hello Bunty, no groans from me regarding 'Here we go round the mulberry bush' It was one of my favorite films of that year. I managed to get a copy the other year as quite hard to obtain. Quadraphinia is another great film that could well have portrayed the skinhead period of 69/70. Other favorites of the day - Poor Cow,Villain, Sitting target (Oliver Reed), Straw Dogs Cathy come home etc etc

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like a tie on many occasions. Have always worn one, even when I was still at school (when ties were the enemy to most!)
There's a lot wearing them these days so I thought I'd give it a miss for the night (and I heard the club was a real sweatbox, which it turned out not to be).
Don't think Jim was too disappointed with the turnout!
Turned up in the pub upstairs at the start of the night - pub was packed with skinheads, suits galore - buzzing atmosphere.
Good finds as always, Bunty.

The only Pub in London,to shut at 11pm though!!!!:)

McDermott

Reaction score
Good shots of Brixton Market as well.What I found funny was the French saying we were Rascist=with their "Track Record"
Pity a Camera Crew does not go round Britain today!!!!!
Yes...very true. Without going down the whole 'politics route'.. But i do think alot of skinheads today who preach this big anti-racist thing forget that kids did talk how they do today, racism was common but not in a political 80's way which happened later, just more 'casual racism' (not very Pc lol!) kind of a way. I think most white working class kids brought up in a rough area were a smidge racist till they knew better.

Everyone looking very smart in the pics. Makes me wish I could still fit in any suits I had..! Tend to go for smarter tailored strides now and nice knitwear etc, Jackets just dont do anything for my body shape now. Nice to see the three piece though, as said three pieces and ties dont seem to have made a comeback till recently though I always love both.

baggycasual

Reaction score
There's a bit approx around page 230 about earlier skinhead-like trends throughout history, and i recollected just those posts when i was reading some texts about the early Swedish workers movement and in particular there's the bombing of the english strike breaker ship Amalthea; In itself interesting for someone like me, but the one of the guys responsible for the deed back in 1908 was a guy called Anton Nilsson:

On the left in this picture.

Trends really go round and around dont they? Although, that sort of coat isn't really it, is it? But still it made my mind wander in the direction....
I know of a Left Communist who uses the first picture as an avatar!

On the green harrington's, Baracuta occasionally add a khaki G10 (mod style, slim) to their sale page. Not sure if they have left knocking about now of if they will make them again? I think they will do a big revamp soon as they have new owners and all that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads