• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone here owned a Ted Baker suit? Or have any opinions on them? I quite like the look of them and
am currently bidding on one on ebay. I know they are not traditional skinhead suits, but i'd rather one of these
than a Merc..Opinions would be much appreciated.
http://www.shopstyle.co.uk/browse?fts=ted+baker+endurance+suit

I do not own one.As you say,they are not Skinhead,but at my Age I do not dress Skinhead anymore.If it "Floats Your Boat" go for it-but if you are looking for more Skinhead/Mod Style don`t.

Just my Opinion.:)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Ted Baker suits...dont own one but have tried them on a few times over the years. I know they have 2 fits, one being slimmer/tighter than the other but i dont remember how they differentiated between

overall i thought they fit ok and if anything ran on the small side of their size tag. personally, if it isnt dirt cheap, I dont recommend suit buying off ebay unless the seller has a return policy

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
saw a post of a Giuda video a couple pages back, great band!! never was into the 70s glam/bootboy stuff but I really like the way Giuda mixes that original sound with a punk edge. That entire record is phenomenal, no weak tracks!

albion

Reaction score
Thanks Get Smart.. Yeah the one i am bidding on is a slim fit grey "tonic" and i am going a couple of inches
bigger than my usual fit because i heard they tend towards the small side.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Not too difficult to spot the early US roots, eh?

Roots.jpg

Roots2.jpg

Then there's this home-grown one:

dance.jpg

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Great find Ed.

I think we'd all admit the 50/60's college boy look has been stolen and manipulated into mod and skin attire.

The chap in the top photo looks like his jeans may be 'cut off' unless they are very small turn ups, one fold?
Who's knows, smart look either way.

On a similar note if you take a look at this photo. It wouldn't take a great deal to turn this lot into a smart skin rabble, Crop their hair, convert them lovely long collars to buttoned downs, Ditch the plimsols, and mix with a bit of attitude/rebellion. Apply some bass heavy, organ drenched reggae pumping through the seminar hall and Hey Presto
cool.gif

I'm diggin the monkey jacket and cricket style jumper. (i think there is a George Mcfly in that photo ;)

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Photos,definitely you can see Mod.This is the "Look" the Ivy Shop was selling,in the 60s.Ivy League was the thing.However,as I have said before,we got our Inspiration from the Jamaican Youth.In the early 60s there were plenty of American Servicemen about,so you could see them in Clubs around Soho.They were responsible for requesting All Nighters(late 50s/early 60s).So Mods rubbed shoulders with them.In the later 60s,they had withdrawn so a lot fewer were about.The Clubs I went to were Jamaican Clubs,so you copied their Style of Dress-Pork Pie Hats,Mohair Suits(with shorter Trousers)etc.Now this may have been copied from the American Negro- but it is documented that Skinhead copied a lot from the Rude Boys.I never met any Americans but I certainly met loads of the Jamaican Youth.
The last but one Picture shows we have come full circle,with the Mod/Suedehead Look.

baggycasual

Reaction score
I don't mean this as 'spam'. This and similar threads have been pretty useful to me so I thought I'd let anyone interested know that Dr Martens are going for a good price on Amazon at the moment, especially 1460's. If you sign up to their 20% off clothes emails (you have to be a first time subscriber - use a different email if necessary to get a discount code) you could get a pair for £40 including delivery. Albeit probably made in China or wherever but can't really argue with the price. Fred Perry website sale is also on at the moment.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Ivy/Squire Shop was where the real smart Mods and Later Skinheads Bought their Royals and American cloths in the 60s/70s,
The prices was high, so it stopped a lot of skinheads shopping there, So the stuff you bought was not worn by the masses of Skinheads,
Also John Simmons would only order a certain amount of say a shirt patten/colour from the States say a hundred.. so the shirt would rare even at the time.
Their was three types of Skinheads,
Those who bought their kit at the Squire/Ivy shop,
Those who bought in the Highs St,
And those who bought the Cheap **** from the Markets, :D

Four types. You missed out those who bought a little bit here, a little bit there, like me until I got my first wage packet.

Okay, okay five... the ones who half-inched stuff too. :D

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this on a Slade site , thought some of you may like ...

I see we all studiously ignored this one :D

I think this thread has said all it's going to say about Slade! I couldn't resist repeating, though, that I bumped into them at Goldsmiths in New Cross and (ahem) forcefully pointed out where they had mugged the style...

And I promise that's the last time I'll mention it. :D

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Four types. You missed out those who bought a little bit here, a little bit there, like me until I got my first wage packet.
Okay, okay five... the ones who half-inched stuff too. :D

As if we would M-o-M?One of my Mates used to do a roaring "Trade".

There seems to be a mis-conception that everybody shopped in the Squire Shop or the Ivy Shop.This was not the case.In the late 60s,Simons was getting very expensive and has been pointed out,did not do Mohair Suits.A lot of People were getting put off by this-I know because I used to talk others(regarding where they bought their Stuff).Plus,Skinheads in East London would not travel over to Richmond,maybe "Up- West".They had a lot of good Shops in their own backyard.As I have said in the past,the West London"Ivy Shop" Look crossed with the East End more "Spartan"Look,in `68.Hence full blown Skinhead.I remember seeing my first real Skinhead(Braces,Jungle Greens ,no.2-with shaved Parting etc),Brixton-mid `68.I was working there at the time.They did not go to Richmond either.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As if we would M-o-M?One of my Mates used to do a roaring "Trade".
There seems to be a mis-conception that everybody shopped in the Squire Shop or the Ivy Shop.This was not the case.In the late 60s,Simons was getting very expensive and has been pointed out,did not do Mohair Suits.A lot of People were getting put off by this-I know because I used to talk others(regarding where they bought their Stuff).Plus,Skinheads in East London would not travel over to Richmond,maybe "Up- West".They had a lot of good Shops in their own backyard.As I have said in the past,the West London"Ivy Shop" Look crossed with the East End more "Spartan"Look,in `68.Hence full blown Skinhead.I remember seeing my first real Skinhead(Braces,Jungle Greens ,no.2-with shaved Parting etc),Brixton-mid `68.I was working there at the time.They did not go to Richmond either.

Okay I went to Richmond once, Brewer Street on the few occasions I could afford it, and did the rest of my shopping around Lewisham, New Cross, and Deptford. And say what you like - M&S did some nice v-necks! :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads