• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Basset

Reaction score
Had a superb time in Margate as always, really good to meet both Colin and George and listen to there memorys and recollections from the 60's and 70's all good stuff, buttons and mr twist tag, pleasure as always, great tat George nice bit of permanent skinhead history there just out of interest can you remember who did it? regarding the stuff i mentioned to you about my parents i will pop up there and dig it out, i know its not skinhead related but might be of interest from a working class/tailoring perspective, alas the one thing ive not got is any footage of the old man bopping on disc a go go circa 62/63 from what i can gather the only footage left is of the later progs presented by Tony blackburn 67/68 i think, the search continues. I once asked the old man if he was a rocker he just laughed and replyed no son they came after me, nothing but a load of scruffy young troublemakers on motorbikes.
Regards Basset

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Had a superb time in Margate as always, really good to meet both Colin and George and listen to there memorys and recollections from the 60's and 70's all good stuff, buttons and mr twist tag, pleasure as always, great tat George nice bit of permanent skinhead history there just out of interest can you remember who did it? regarding the stuff i mentioned to you about my parents i will pop up there and dig it out, i know its not skinhead related but might be of interest from a working class/tailoring perspective, alas the one thing ive not got is any footage of the old man bopping on disc a go go circa 62/63 from what i can gather the only footage left is of the later progs presented by Tony blackburn 67/68 i think, the search continues. I once asked the old man if he was a rocker he just laughed and replyed no son they came after me, nothing but a load of scruffy young troublemakers on motorbikes.
Regards Basset
Hi Basset
Yes it was a nice little drink and a great way for me to spend an afternoon. The old tattoo was done by Harry Potter (not the wizard) in late 69 / early 1970 when he had his tattoo parlour in Gravesend Kent. . He later moved on from there. See attached link
http://www.harrypottertattooist.co.uk/earlydaysofharry.html

I am sure all our readers would be interested in anything you can post regarding your parents youth and would be appreciated as we all pinched some ideas from the generation before we had our own eras

Cheers George

sleep or die

Reaction score
Clippers, no guard and a steady hand.
Would be very careful if you're doing it your self. And be prepared to fall out with yer bird when she messes it up.
that's what i figured. i definitely couldn't do it myself. i was, possibly still am, going to have my girl do it but i am very particular about my hair and there definitely would be some issues if she messed it up haha. life, am i right?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As we said Basset,it started the Trend ,for the Working Class to get Bespoke Suits.`62 was the year when my Father bought me a Made-To-Measure Suit(I was 12).It was Italian Style,with "Bum Freezer" Jacket,Slim Trousers with a **** up the side-with a Button on top.We mentioned the other 2 Styles but when I got home,I remembered this Detail.The Boots I wore(Chelsea)had a Diamond Toe Shape to them-not Pointed or Chisel.This was the start-thanks to my Dad.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clippers, no guard and a steady hand.
Would be very careful if you're doing it your self. And be prepared to fall out with yer bird when she messes it up.

I would not let my Girlfriend near my Hair!!!! Back in the 60s you never hand Clippers at home,so you borrowed your Dad`s "Cut-Throat"-if you wanted a DIY Job.:)

buttons

Reaction score

I would not let my Girlfriend near my Hair!!!! Back in the 60s you never hand Clippers at home,so you borrowed your Dad`s "Cut-Throat"-if you wanted a DIY Job.:)

Me and me brother saved up and bought some clippers (I was 12). Cut me hair 3 times that week!
We'd do each other's partings.
Never let me bird do it though - too risky! (same with ironing)

buttons

Reaction score

As we said Basset,it started the Trend ,for the Working Class to get Bespoke Suits.`62 was the year when my Father bought me a Made-To-Measure Suit(I was 12).It was Italian Style,with "Bum Freezer" Jacket,Slim Trousers with a **** up the side-with a Button on top.We mentioned the other 2 Styles but when I got home,I remembered this Detail.The Boots I wore(Chelsea)had a Diamond Toe Shape to them-not Pointed or Chisel.This was the start-thanks to my Dad.:)

Was never sure if having a snappy dresser as a dad would give you summet to aspire to or summet to rebell against. Obviously the former with yersell.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
As we said Basset,it started the Trend ,for the Working Class to get Bespoke Suits.`62 was the year when my Father bought me a Made-To-Measure Suit(I was 12).It was Italian Style,with "Bum Freezer" Jacket,Slim Trousers with a **** up the side-with a Button on top.We mentioned the other 2 Styles but when I got home,I remembered this Detail.The Boots I wore(Chelsea)had a Diamond Toe Shape to them-not Pointed or Chisel.This was the start-thanks to my Dad.
smile.gif

I remember my older brother was of that period and had the Italian suits with the bum freezer jackets. I can remember the Chelsea boots with Cuban heals and a pointish toe. Also a pair with a large strap across the front. They also had knitted ties with striaght cuts across the 2 ends. White Br-nylon drip dry shirts were all around this early 60s time. I was just a nipper

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the Margate Report, chaps.

I wanted to go back to the man in the King's Road with ticket pocket. Here is a man in transition.

His trousers belong to 1970 or earlier but the rest of his attire seems to have moved on – as has his hairstyle and his facial hair!

I recall too a reluctance to move on on the trouser front and, if I had pics of myself in early 1971 I am sure they would reveal a very similar scene (minus the fuzz).

He is also doing other things that would be entirely consistent with a man moving into the ‘smooth’ style. We see him with his cuffs turned back just once (de rigueur then) and of course he has just been to the Village Gate.

As ever the female of the species is shown to have moved on more quickly and I expect easily. Her transformation to the new 70s style is already accomplished. We have seen pics of Bunty’s brother and his girlfriend that reveal the same phenomenon.

Here is one where Bunty’s brother stays true to his skinhead suit (in 1971) where his girlfriend has shed any last trace of her skinhead style.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/89027/traditional-skinheads/4395#post_4945231

Gramps

Reaction score
Think youve put mine in a few times Buttons, also tenniss balled at one point ;).

In my younger days of course.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was never sure if having a snappy dresser as a dad would give you summet to aspire to or summet to rebell against. Obviously the former with yersell.

My Dad was an ex-Royal Navy Man.It through his constant "Get your Haircut",in `67(my Hair was Shoulder Length-not a Hippy though),that I had a Number 4.He went Ballalistic.I couldn`t win.

`70/ `71,my Sister had enough of Skinhead.She started going towards Hippy(exactly as the Mods did,in `67).Dave became my Brother-in-Law and it was through him I listened to Black Sabbath etc.My Wife -to-be had moved onto Wedges,Coats that looked like Tents etc.But then She was never Skinhead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads