• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that definitely Selhurst Park, I say that as the End where the Lad is standing was uncovered, but i'am sure the over End was covered.

loempiavreter

Reaction score

Could be true but sounds dubious - a skinhead hangout called the Boot Inn. Who's the proprietor - Ivor Biggun? Definitely original skinheads in Ireland. Got an article somewhere from the early 70's about irish skinheads called summet like "Where has all the hair gone?". Not seen it for over 20 years so can't remember a lot of detail. Some lads in grandad vests, crops and braces.
Haha it's true. It's called the Boot inn, it's located on middle abbey street. That picture is definately from irish soils (Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1970 for the exact details) :) You can find them here and loads of other pictures of Irish skinheads & evolutions, including that article "Where has all the hair gone" here: Skip 2 pages to get to the pictures: http://wherewereyou.ie/sample-pages/ Thanks to:
regarding irish skinhead back in 69/70 a book "where were you" about Dublin street style from 1950 to 2000, have some pics...
smile.gif
Time to pre-order that 2nd run. Here's some print screens (but you can view them in better quality on the site or when you buy the book!):

Last edited:

buttons

Reaction score

No Colin, Ours was light pastel colour, The Lad in the pic looks like he is wearing those Madras colourful golfing trousers, Never saw anyone dress like that in 73 London, I wonder if he was a away supporter from up North, :D,:D

Thing is with 'ruperts', there's check trousers and there's check trousers.

Prince of Wales, for example has been around for a long long time, and was popular with original skinheads.
Before then and after there have been many checks from the most subtle that you have to look close to notice there's even a check there, to the big brash checks of say '71 - '72, like the kind of fabrics Noddy Holder was wearing in his mirrored top hat days.
So if you look at the 'skinhead' period of fashion, from what was clearly going that way but not called skinhead yet (which is largely what gets discussed on here) to what skinhead became (covering suedehead, smoothie, soul boy, boot boy - all depending on where you were from etc etc). And that's all including what they were wearing in London as well as the far flung corners of the UK. So if we treat that all as the 'skinhead period', that covers a whole host of clothing. Even them kids in Belfast in '74 - there's no denying that style has its roots firmly in skinhead, its just a later interpretation, with various other influences (like the fact that its in ireland and the fact that its 1974!).

A lot of stuff that's gets mentioned on here, especially some of the "skinheads never did that" comments never take the regional differences into account. And what also needs to be considered is that skinheads in the Midlands in say 1971 are still skinheads (even though by then it'd all gone in That London) but they're not just wearing what the cocknies were wearing 2 years ago, they're wearing similar styles but with many other influences, ideas, trends and re-interpretations of the look.

Back to 'ruperts' ... there were trousers like these around before skinhead came along and I'm sure I've plenty pictures of mid-60s mods in various check trousers, just haven't the time to look right now.

There's more subtle checks like the ones this lad's wearing at The Wheel (although I wouldn't class them as ruperts)

There's Jim Furgesson's idea of what they were,

I've also got a (more important) picture of a skinhead getting arrested at the footy wearing check sta press, but can't find it at the minute - will have a look later.
I've got a few pairs of check sta press, some subtle, some not so and all from about 1970. But I've also got some later one from '71 with louder checks and later still with 24 inch bottoms. All depends on what look you're after, from what date and what area. 24 inchers with and oxford weave Benny - wrong, wrong, wrong. But with a Navy beagle piped collar and a long back and sides - now you're talking. It aint London in '68 but that doesn't make it wrong.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buttons,come on-cocknies?

You have to go no further than "The Small Faces,Official Website".There are 3 different variations of Check Mod Trousers-for a kick off.

There were Puppy Tooth,Dog Tooth and the Checks that were worn(with Stripes)in Mohair Trousers.This was all within the `69/`70 years.I cannot comment on the North,because I was based in and around London Town.That was my Workplace/Playground,What happened North of Watford was of no concern of to me.

buttons

Reaction score
Aye, ye got me on the spelling - its been a long day!

There's also the holy grail as some might say of the Prince of Wales Toniks - two tone three-ply mohiar but with a POW style check woven in (even though its only the colour of the warp and weft of the tonik. I'd heard many people mention them. Initially I thought they were just getting mixed up. Ages later I got a pair of an original skinhead mate. Nice.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a light POW Mohair30%/Wool70% mix of one of my suits, very lightweight, The light pastel colour is very similar to the ruperts we wore,

Just got to correct myself , The suit material is 100% Merino Wool, Just checked, :)

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aye, ye got me on the spelling - its been a long day!
There's also the holy grail as some might say of the Prince of Wales Toniks - two tone three-ply mohiar but with a POW style check woven in (even though its only the colour of the warp and weft of the tonik. I'd heard many people mention them. Initially I thought they were just getting mixed up. Ages later I got a pair of an original skinhead mate. Nice.

I had a pair of Blue and Wine Tonik Trousers with a Black over Check(kind of Doubled-if you know what I mean).Bought then down "The Cut",off the Peg.I can still see the Rail now,Stripes and Checks all Shades of Tonik Mohair(and they really were 3 ply).

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is Me with Rob and Sophie wearing the POW suit. hard to see the patten though.

IMG_0215.jpg

My Two Sons and mates at Up The Junction.

IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:

Yankee

Reaction score
What were some of the other brief fads in the scene, aside from the blue fedoras and identity bracelets already mentioned?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads