• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

papyloic

Reaction score
regarding irish skinhead back in 69/70 a book "where were you" about Dublin street style from 1950 to 2000, have some pics...
smile.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the BCH, the mid-80s shortlived successor to the DMS & puttees. Funny reading from ARRSE as per usual. Boot Cardborad Horrible.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Boot_Combat_High

James i would like to get hold of a pair of ankle DMS, Great for running in, Better than Trainers i found, The High leg that came into service in the 80s, caused so much damage to lads Achilles, awful boot, I manage to get hold of a pair of American Rocky boots in a US Base PX shop which i had for ages.

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
For comparison purposes

The differences between NIPB and BCH were that NIPB was basically an extended version of the DMS and had a softer leather shaft than the cardboardy shaft of the BCH.
Also the BCH didn't have a toecap or the low heel section and a had much less rounded toe shape than the DMS/NIPB
Another difference is the grip.The BCH had the new style grip, whereas the NIPB had the standard DMS grip.

DMS

NIPB

BCH - Mark I

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like BOL or BOU.

Bolton or Bournemouth,though Bournemouth wouldn't fit if the size of the BO was maintained for the whole name.
Note the Bata shoe shop on the right, orignally Czech made then made in England, we didn't have Bata shoe shops in London. Bata shoe factory was in East Tilbury, Essex.
If they're West Ham supporters it could also be the BOL of Boleyn.

We were not that scruffy,plus the Hammers sign would be up somwhere.:)

buttons

Reaction score

Selhurst Park, C1973 - DMs sprayed silver.
sp-1973-.jpg

Sorry, no info:
Teens-in-1970s-fashion-st-007.jpg

The 3 with the short strides on - that's 4th June 1974 in Belfast.

I've got a pair of Jaytex ruperts in a similar but smaller check to the ones in that '73 pic - straight leg sta press, 17 inch bottoms.

Sprayed up Martens - popular early 70s footy attire when ye boots were no longer fashionable - spray them silver, have a scrap, all the paint falls off, spray them gold for next week - great.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were these anything like the Ruperts you had,Roy?I have tried to get my Brain into gear-nothing!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 3 with the short strides on - that's 4th June 1974 in Belfast.
I've got a pair of Jaytex ruperts in a similar but smaller check to the ones in that '73 pic - straight leg sta press, 17 inch bottoms.
Sprayed up Martens - popular early 70s footy attire when ye boots were no longer fashionable - spray them silver, have a scrap, all the paint falls off, spray them gold for next week - great.

Ah!Moon Boots!!-or so they were nicknamed.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Were these anything like the Ruperts you had,Roy?I have tried to get my Brain into gear-nothing!

No Colin, Ours was light pastel colour, The Lad in the pic looks like he is wearing those Madras colourful golfing trousers, Never saw anyone dress like that in 73 London, I wonder if he was a away supporter from up North, :D,:D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads