Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. buttons

buttons Senior member

Hard to tell and it could still be a copy but I'd say its a Levi one.
    Wrangler did a nice one, but this doesn't have the top press-stud as in the pic, where as the Levi one does. I've had Levi ones with a cuff and without, collar's the right length etc.
    Got a really nice fake one that I had when I was a kid before I got me first Levi one - same cut as a Levi in every respect, just with plain poppers. Never got rid of it. There were various copies around at the time, some good; some bad. Even more copies of the suede ones. They come up on ebay now and then but the leather ones are rarely cheap.
    One of the first things I treated mesell to when I got a proper job (after a bespoke suit and a mkI mini) - suede Levi jacket.

2. buttons

buttons Senior member

No way that's London in 1971 (unless they all got out of prison that day, having all served 18 months each!!).
    Reckon that's some French kid's put that!
    Great picture mind - quite a mix of clothes but pretty much all with crops.
    Various stitched in turn-ups, not commonly seen in London (especially as big as the ones that lad in the Shetland crew neck's wearing).
    Another possible MA1, second up on the right, but could be wrong.
    And that lad in the two pocket denim Wrangler, top right - not seen a London lad wearing one of them before either.
    Could go on all day about the picture, but if anyone's got any more info as to where and when, I'd be very interested to hear it.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No way is that London Lads, Scruffy cnuts. By 71 we was wearing Satin Jackets Bags and Platforms, with long hair, :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No way that's London in 1971 (unless they all got out of prison that day, having all served 18 months each!!).

Spot on ,:D,:D

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

7. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Don't know how reliable it is, but I saw this comment for this photo somewhere else:
    Have never heard of Skinheads on Irish soil during the original era.

8. ek77

ek77 Senior member

anyone know when and where this one was taken??

[​IMG]

9. buttons

buttons Senior member

Could be true but sounds dubious - a skinhead hangout called the Boot Inn. Who's the proprietor - Ivor Biggun?
    Definitely original skinheads in Ireland. Got an article somewhere from the early 70's about irish skinheads called summet like "Where has all the hair gone?". Not seen it for over 20 years so can't remember a lot of detail. Some lads in grandad vests, crops and braces.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That was me Mate.The Story relates to the early `70s,but Darts etc.started appearing in the late 60s-at Football Matches.One other Weapon that was used(and this not only confined to Skinheads)were Ball Bearings.These were also used at the Anti Vietnam War Demo in `68(Grosvenor Square).
    I was involved in an instance where these were used to some effect(not at a Football Match ).A kid turned up during the clash with Hells Angels,armed with a tin of these and a Catapult.The Catapult was deemed illegal to sell in Shops(locally),because of the Hooligan Element.I do not know how widespread this was?Anyway he started firing off and all I can say is,if there had been more Catapults,it would have been very bloody.A lot of the Angels did not have Helmets,so even though a few hit them-it spooked them up(they stopped riding past us for one thing).I know one of the Tactics used was throwng Ball Bearings underneath Police Horses Hooves.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Coming from Kilburn which had a large Irish community, in the 60s we had Three Lads from Dublin who was Skinheads in our gang, Because of the coming and going between London and Dublin, I would say their was skinheads in Dublin fairly early.
    Two of the Three lads i knew was smart lads...i suppose living over here they just wore what we wore, One of the lads is Pat Nugent, you can see him in the Kiilburn documentary dancing with the girl, he was a couple of years older than me.
    One of the other lads was Tony Odee a character, who changed his name to Tony Chelsea, After his beloved football team, lovely Lad.

12. OHT

OHT Senior member

The boy with the open arms(on the right, upfront): His jeans/trousers aren't being properly held by his belt and his bottoms are sagging(is he even wearing boots?). The same goes for the boy in the middle(with the elbow covering his face). He seems to have his hair longer than the majority(along with the boy in the far far back left). Does it matter if his shirt is not tucked in? The guy on the right holding the other end of the pole banner: Is he wearing a flat cap? Behind him you can spot white shoes(sneakers/trainers?). Just thought I'd point these things out, if it helps you originals suss out this picture.

13. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Regarding British forces boots, there were high boots before the mid-80s, the NIPB (Northern Ireland Patrol Boots) appeared in the 70s. But it is quite correct that the standard issue high boots didn't appear until the mid-80s. But remember the lace-on extensions you get get for the short DMS boots to replace putties? Always a prized item at the Naafi shop.

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... and the 'banner' appears to be the Union flag(jack) - could they be N. Ireland protestants?

15. OHT

OHT Senior member

but what's written on it though? I see some letters, I just couldn't make it out.