1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

I notice in both the recent photos there is a trend to roll up the sleeves - often in a bit of an untidy way. The 'tall' guy on the right in the 'fountain' pic esp. looks like he has a shirt with really thick sleeves given how thick they look rolled up - almost like they are sleeves with cuffs - but I am presuming skinheads never wore shirts with cuff links?

Also, in a dancehall where they played both reggae and soul (along with the odd pop song - "Spirit in the Sky" has been mentioned before) did the DJ's just mix it together or do it in 'brackets'? I can't quite imagine all the skins doing that Jamaican 'rowing' style dancing they sometimes did in groups to reggae and then suddenly shifting to a more 'shuffling' style when a soul tune came on...(?)

2. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

F
    The Chelsea feller ?
    [/quoteFrom Shepherds Bush way and indeed a Chelsea fan

3. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

We used to turn them over twice so they would stay up. It was a very common look among skinheads.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. TomMc666

TomMc666 Senior member

Tony Cummins, became a singer in my old band. Really nice bloke, always well dressed, unfortunately still a chelsea season ticket holder! Hopefully catching up with him soon There was another panther in a later wave you might be on about?.

5. Basset

Basset Senior member

First post in an age, i still pop in and have a gander fromm time to time, tbh i've been busy standing in a gro-bag letting me hair grow.
    A couple of pages back Bulldogs/union jacks came up, without wishing to sidetrack things, thought i'd a put a pic up of my pin badge which i wear on me blazer
    those of a certain age from a certain place, should remember Friday evening races at Eastville stadium

As for any ' associations ' i think the writing is quite clear, daft assumptions are usualy made by daft people
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. TomMc666

TomMc666 Senior member

To be honest thought the documentary was jumbled and got a lot wrong..... We were skinheads in 77 and into 78, by the time the Specials came onto the scene, those of our age group had moved on to mod or the start of casual or if they remained skinheads, didnt really associate with the next wave/s. In roughcut and ready dubbed, theres a clip of skinheads outside the Last Resort slagging us -the Rejects and the road crew as not being skinheads, with both H and Binnsy still retaining the proper skinhead look, something they wouldnt know anything about.The overlap in 79 was there in both clothes and source music but really, with both skinhead and mod - and two tone- becoming mainstream, the look became more of a straight jacket and getting back to basics, as well as attracting a much younger age group. And behind this was the politicalising of youth culture, especially around skinhead, which also affected the look. I remember after being down Brick Lane to get some clothes on a sunday making our way back to the Birdcage and being canvassed by NF and Joe Pearce...they looked like cartoon skinheads and to us, who took our clothes seriously -almost foppish as a skinhead!- nothing to do with us. Pearce told me and a couple of my mates that if we werent NF then we werent real skinheads.....we told him what to do with his views and he and his bodyguards beat a hasty retreat. However at pubs like the Crown and Shuttle and the Bladebone, they did make in roads. Maybe someday someone will do a proper book about 77-80

1 person likes this.
  7. Natty Pinstripe

Natty Pinstripe Senior member

SV I was too young to go into a dancehall when skinhead was in full swing, but I don't know there were many dance halls that would have catered to strictly skinhead musical tastes My memory is that girls would have much wider tastes and tdanced to all kinds of records. Being that for most going to a dancehall was as much about meeting the opposite sex as anything else, the place with the most "talent" was as important as the sounds. I am not saying there were not clubs that catered for selective sounds but the bigger, cheaper dance halls tried to cover all the bases.

1 person likes this.
  8. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Thanks for the reply Tom. Your first sentence is the perennial cry of anyone from any youth culture of any period! I have sometimes wondered what Mods from 1963 and 1964 thought of the film 'Quadrophenia' - did they sit in the cinema squirming, saying to their wives "That's not right", "We didn't wear those" ,"That never happened"?

To be honest, even those of us who were involved at various stages can't agree on everything, such is the impact of time and place and individual experiences.What was accurate for one place was incorrect somewhere else - what chance do documentary makers have?

In addition, anyone who has ever been interviewed will tell you they will spend 10 mins or longer speaking to you then play the 20 seconds which reinforces the angle they are trying to put on it. It's a bit of a no-win situation for all concerned.

Interesting to hear you mention your taking clothes seriously, quite different to the caricature that skinhead appeared to become.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

It would be interesting to hear about those years of skinhead. It's odd how there's a kind of contempt that each generation of skinhead has for the next lot. probably because you hate the thought of being associated with those lot that call themselves skinheads.

10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Agreed and it was the same in the South

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

12. ShortBackAndSides

ShortBackAndSides Active Member

13. Basset

Basset Senior member

Alright Aces, hope yer well, im still knocking about, but been taking things a bit steady due to health etc.

According to Colin, last time i saw him, im a hippy, how rude [​IMG] ;-)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Are you referring to the Ska Dance(Rowing),because I never saw that in `69.It was bending of the Knees or rocking backwards and forwards.It was also done across the Floor - not in Groups,.The Music was mixed up,so you would have a Soul Record then a Reggae one.But this was later.

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D Welcome back Sir..........

1 person likes this.
  16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

In late `69/early 70,the Dancehalls were now catering for Skinheads(once the Live Band had finished), because by then the other Punters were not about(much).

17. covskin

covskin Senior member

Haha...one of my memories is of walking up to the Last Resort and seeing you coming the other way, giving me a good look up and down as you passed. Now I know you were thinking wtf lol.

2 people like this.
  18. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Yeah this one has tatts down his neck lives down southend .

19. Jukebox Dury

Jukebox Dury Senior member

Did you "see to them" or something? [​IMG]

20. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

The Russian version...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.