• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mentioned this podcast before and having now listened to it myself I thought I would put up the link again:

http://wearethemods.podomatic.com/entry/2013-10-14T08_59_45-07_00

The interview with Gill Evans starts just around 1hr 23mins in and lasts about half an hour. It's fascinating stuff and definitely reveals a continental influence, mixed with a good dose of Britishness.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A former friend who established a well-respected menswear shop in the late 70s (he now has four or five) explained to me that one reason black never really achieved its full potential in the 80s, despite all the hype, was due to the built in reserve of the Italians. Black for them, even 35 years after the end of WWII, was still to an extent associated with the Fascist movement.

Other problems for me with black include:
  • You need the right complexion
  • The dye fades and wears at the edges very quickly
  • It looks browny in artificial light (which is why many now insist on midnight blue for black tie rig)
  • It is flat and dull unless the cloth has some interest in the weave or something.

The igent is of course well and truly off black these days. I will never say never myself but for the reasons above I doubt black will feature in my wardrobe again. The Givenchy shirt above addresses Gsvs5's points. It is expensive, it has a great feel to it and a superb, almost imperceptible stripe. The colour too helps as it is not a 'true' black.

Even black shoes today feel somehow less 'special' than other colours. Obviously one cannot avoid black footwear so, again it needs quality and interest about it.

Just a few thoughts really....
Mr Knightley,I agree with the first point you make about the political connection ( the reason that I wasnt allowed a black Ben Sherman in 71 ),but I think that connection has disappeared now.
I agree that black can fade and you have to be careful washing black shirts,about the light I have read that people appearing on tv bought navy suits as they looked better under lights in tv studios.
Personally I like a black shirt with a polo type collar,I was remembering last night that I wore a plain black polo with POW trousers this summer and I thought that it looked ok ( maybe you are shaking your head in disapproval ? ).
Black shoes less special ? I am not too sure about that,a highly polished pair of black brogues or half brogues will enhance most smart clothes IMO.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mentioned this podcast before and having now listened to it myself I thought I would put up the link again:

http://wearethemods.podomatic.com/entry/2013-10-14T08_59_45-07_00

The interview with Gill Evans starts just around 1hr 23mins in and lasts about half an hour. It's fascinating stuff and definitely reveals a continental influence, mixed with a good dose of Britishness.
Mr Knightley.I havent listened to the podcast yet,but I did read the link that you posted recently,I can see a reason for some people looking for a continental look at that time...escapism IMO.
Like the James Bond books where people were reading about places that they had never travelled too, or wine or food that sounded exotic and totally different then.
We forget ( I think ) that travel for the great majority of people only started in the mid sixties,and I can understand that a continental look would have been much more exciting then than now.
BTW,surely black or darker colours arent traditionally colours for British shirts ? maybe they are part of the continental look ?.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

A former friend who established a well-respected menswear shop in the late 70s (he now has four or five) explained to me that one reason black never really achieved its full potential in the 80s, despite all the hype, was due to the built in reserve of the Italians.  Black for them, even 35 years after the end of WWII, was still to an extent associated with the Fascist movement.

All very interesting points,and of course the upheld tradition of Mourning wear amongst women.On subsequent visits to Milan over the years I have noticed various interpretations of monotone dressing-Greys,Brownns,Blues.i suspect this is heavily influenced by the prominence of Prada.In Napoli this was not as evident to me.
Personally I have always preferred my Blues to be verging on black ang my Grays to be charcoal.The jury is still out on the shoes,but to me it is rare that I find black convincingly fits casual.

Inks

Reaction score
A black shirt, that is only ever so slightly faded, looks ancient and scruffy. I used to be in the t-shirt and screen-printing game. Black t-shirts were just about un-wearable (to me anyway) after a couple of washes due to fading. Luckily, the type of person that wears, what is basically a printed undershirt, isn't too bothered.
I always chuckle to myself when I see designer t-shirts for sale in boutique shops in the West End for £50+. I know, even with the overheads of running a shop up in town, those shysters' net profits per-shirt, are probably more than on a well made dress-shirt sold in the same store.
Fair enough if you run, or work for a business and wear a shirt with the company logo on. Or you like a band, or sports team, and want to show your appreciation. But to pay £50 to act as an advertising billboard for a fashion house is mental. I know the psychology behind it. 'Look at me, Iook what I can afford. Aren't I great.'
I wasn't adverse to knocking out the odd snide t-shirt for mates that were into that whole 'label' crap. They were always better quality than the real deal. Only did the odd one or two BTW and never sold them, and I'm not just saying that for legal reasons. I've printed millions of t-shirts, and I can't even look at a printed t-shirt now, let alone wear one.
I've never thought of the 'Black Shirts' connection to black shirts until now. The first shirt I bought myself was a black BD, but that was because I saw Terry Hall wear one on the telly. No wonder my mum threw a sh1t-fit when I came back from Acton wearing one.

Basset

Reaction score
Black shirts, i wear one on occasion, and when the mood suits, i agree that black items can fade, and can take on a grubby appearance when washed a few times.
As for the political rubbish, it's nowt to do with me, if people want to point and think whatever, thats up to them.
The only thing i try to do with a black shirt, is give it a bit of ping with contrasting and lighter colurs.
As always personal taste plays a part in what we buy and wear.

I spy a regular contributer to this thread, deep in conversation in the pic below, i think we had a good natter that night, and those vodka shots advertised played havoc with me, i shant go into detail

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shirts, i wear one on occasion, and when the mood suits, i agree that black items can fade, and can take on a grubby appearance when washed a few times.
As for the political rubbish, it's nowt to do with me, if people want to point and think whatever, thats up to them.
The only thing i try to do with a black shirt, is give it a bit of ping with contrasting and lighter colurs.

I spy a regular contributer to this thread, deep in conversation in the pic below, i think we had a good natter that night, and those vodka shots advertised played havoc with me, i shant go into detail
Interesting that you have got a tie with black stripes and browniecj said that he wore a black and grey striped tie with a black shirt,I said in an earlier post that was the only way I could see of doing it.

Basset

Reaction score
Interesting that you have got a tie with black stripes and browniecj said that he wore a black and grey striped tie with a black shirt,I said in an earlier post that was the only way I could see of doing it.

This illustrates a point brought up earlier, the tie and blazer are navy in colour, the only black items im wearing are the shirt and shoes

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This illustrates a point brought up earlier, the tie and blazer are navy in colour, the only black items im wearing are the shirt and shoes
I see,the tie stripes and the blazer look black in the picture and it look s good with the shirt IMO,whats the saying ..the camera never lies it only bends the truth ?
I don't wear navy and black together,one of my self imposed rules,but everyone can do what they want its what pleases yourself that counts.
BTW,I wonder why the blue shows up on the bottle labels and not the clothes ?

flyfronted

Reaction score

http://mikkelrude.co.uk/products/7-all-shirts/33-black-shirt-short-sleeve/ its nice

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black shirts, i wear one on occasion, and when the mood suits, i agree that black items can fade, and can take on a grubby appearance when washed a few times. As for the political rubbish, it's nowt to do with me, if people want to point and think whatever, thats up to them. The only thing i try to do with a black shirt, is give it a bit of ping with contrasting and lighter colurs. As always personal taste plays a part in what we buy and wear. I was trying to remember who I had met recently,who was wearing a Black Shirt Basset.Then you put your photo up.I do not think of the Political connection(it was 50+ years ago-before my time).Mind you,I would not wear a red one-more recent !!! I spy a regular contributer to this thread, deep in conversation in the pic below, i think we had a good natter that night, and those vodka shots advertised played havoc with me, i shant go into detail
It was a good night in Islington.Jim Cox spun well,the drinks flowed and the company was good.......:)

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Have we had these before?

Didsbury 1966

Same lad, on holiday in Rhyl 1966

I've not seen 'em Bunty - nice one.

FTR: I've lived in Didsbury since 1981. (Don't recognise any of those pictured, though.) :satisfied:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads