1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Only me! :D

2. Man-of-Mystery

"Okay guys - shortest on the left, tallest on the right - get fell in!"

Yes, I've seen that one before. Bloke on the left always reminds me a bit of Dave Hill.

[​IMG]

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Now,don`t start Bunty.......:)

4. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

But with a much better haircut!

1 person likes this.
  5. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

The Motown albums you are referring to were indeed popular at the time. My older sister bought me Volume 4 for my 16th Birthday in November 1970. Some of them were entitled 'British Motown Chartbusters' and were a collection of hits that had made the British Charts - you are correct to say that they included some tracks from earlier years but that was because they had been re-released a few years later as they had become popular in the Soul Clubs and the record company sensed the demand for them. One such record was 'Heaven Must Have Sent You by the Elgins. Originally released in 1966 it didn't chart but found popularity in the clubs later and was subsequently re-released getting to number 3 in the charts in early 1971. It was on Motown Chartbusters Vol. 6 later that year. Such was their popularity, for my first weeks wages on leaving school in 1971 I bought Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 (My Sister already had vol. 2). At £2.25 each they cost almost half my first pay packet! By that time I would already have bought Vol. 5 so had the full set. To be honest, they peaked at Vol. 3 which is still widely held to be a classic collection, after that a lot of Motown became far more 'poppie'. Prior to the Charbusters Albums being released my sister used to buy the 'Collection of 16 Big Hits' and 'Motown Memories' compilation albums which have a far more mid 60's feel about them and contain some tracks I still hear played when I'm out and about today. My favourite Motown Albums were and still are the 'Motown Disco Classics' albums which came out in response to the demand for the rarer, upbeat sound of Motown which was being produced around 1966 but was now very popular in the Soul Clubs of North West England and the North Midlands - listen to these albums and they are clearly embryonic 'Northern Soul'.

Incidentally, we used the tags 'Motown', 'Tamla' and 'Tamla Motown' to describe the music from this label.

I can only draw on my own experience and memories of the time - I say North West England and North Midlands as I know these sounds were popular there - I don't know how widespread the appeal was. I gather from people on this forum and others over the years that Reggae was as influential in other areas such as the West Midlands, Greater London and possibly the whole South East. No doubt there were pockets of Soul lovers in those and other areas as there were Reggae fans in ours. Reggae was certainly not unpopular with us but not as widely heard, or accessible.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Little Queenie

Well now, Monsieur... this photo rings a bell, especially the lad on the far right, though I think perhaps he's in a different photo. Looks most unlikely for '68, I'd say '70 at the earliest. Any takers?

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I quite agree with you, LQ. It rang a bell too, i think it was not exactly the same photo, not in such poor condition (we could see better the lad on the right's glasses), but from the same series probably.

8. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Dave Hills ears are not as noticeable from side on that's for sure. Suprised he never got them pinned back when they started making a few bob

9. Little Queenie

Now, as you know, I hold you in the highest esteem, but what's all this 'album' stuff? 'LP' surely, album is all '70s and long hair and flares and Pink Floydy...or something to keep your photos in........

1 person likes this.
  10. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

If it was our area, (Greater Manchester) I'd say 1971.

11. Little Queenie

I have to agree, but for the sake of regional differences I gave it a bit of wiggle room, but up north it's a much more likely '71 look.

12. Man-of-Mystery

I was just googling around for pics of scooters and came up with three oddments.

A rather attractive 1960s model. June Palmer isn't bad either.

[​IMG]

A pic from 1960 of Hong Kong actress Mai Ling.

[​IMG]

The ultimate device for escaping from beach battles. Not sure about the hat, though.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Man-of-Mystery

He used them as air-brakes.

14. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Yes - I'm only guessing but was it to make a clear differentiation between Mods and Skinheads? Some of the lines from that late 70's period seem a bit blurred to me. Were the Specials Skinheads or Mods? What about Madness? The styles look pretty similar to me. Thanks to JukeBoxJury, I caught the documentary he had recommended about that period last night. It appears to me that Two Tone was a bit of a melting pot, bringing not only different races but different youth styles together. To be clearly 'Skinhead' not Mod the hair got much shorter, the boots higher, the jeans shorter. To us 'originals' (careful!) it became a caricature of the style and chuck in all the tattoos and it's not something I can relate to at all. On the other hand, I have a few friends and acquaintances who were mods in that era and I can quite happily talk clothes, music and scooters with them.

I appreciate I'm speaking from the 'outside' about this era.

15. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

You are right of course LQ - I shall go and stand in the corner until break time!

16. Little Queenie

Had a look and I can't find it, I shall leave it to you and your investigative skills!

17. Little Queenie

Oh, go on then, I forgive you.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG]
    Think we had them before, but it's always a pleasure. They have a much better crop now ! No more braces but still wearing BD...

19. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Panther the Chelsea bod with the tatts ?

20. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

The Chelsea feller ?