• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedStudent

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

This was my original post:
This is my first post on sf...since it always comes up when I google my fashion questions, I figured I might as well join. This is a suit I wore yesterday to a medical conference (I'm a student in the US going for my MD, so I figured I better start dressing like a doctor soon). I wasn't going for anything fancy or flashy, I was just trying to wear a decent fitting suit and looks like I know what I'm doing.

A couple disclaimers: I know the top button on the suit is pulling a little bit. That's mostly because I have my hands in my pockets. The way the jacket hangs on my right side is the way the whole thing looks when I stand normally (i.e. no pulling)...HOWEVER, I have gained 10+ pounds since having it tailored, so it fits snugger than it should. Too snug perhaps?

This is a suit I bought on a budget (I am still a student after all...)

Suit: 38L (normal size is usually 40R) lower-priced "SF approved" brand
Shirt: Brooks Brothers MTM
Shoes: cap toe lower-priced "SF-approved" brand
tie: vintage
And here's a few of my responses:
medstudent, nice outfit.

im in medicine too and nice to see some well dressed health care professionals!
Thanks! Medical professionals definitely do not seem like the type of people from which you should take fashion queues...at least not around where I live.
Am I the only one who thinks that Medstudent's tie looks like the wallpaper in a convenience store bathroom?
Point taken.
It's a nice start. Personally, I think a slightly longer jacket would look better, but you're younger than I am, so the more fashionable length is fine. I'm surprised it's an L; how tall are you, out of curiosity? More importantly, I don't think that tie works at all well in situ. Actually, I don't like it even in isolation, but I can conceive of outfits it might work. Just not with that colour shirt I think. Still, from my experience of medical conferences, I'd bet you were still one of the best dressed there...
I shouldn't have posted the size since it isn't representative of a 38L. I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs (+/-10 lbs on any given month). My height is mostly in my legs, so I generally get a better fit with a 40R as opposed a long, then have the sleeves lengthened to get the length on my overly-long arms correct--picture Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld and you'll get a pretty good idea of my build...it made it really hard to find properly-fitting suits and shirts before I discovered tailors and MTM.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit - BB
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - BB
Cufflinks - Niletti Creations, NYC
PS - Alain Figaret
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris

IMG_1466538x1280.jpg

IMG_1465425x1280.jpg

IMG_14621034x1280.jpg

IMG_1463849x1280.jpg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
'
Thank you! I really appreciate this post, just as I appreciate all the other comments/thumbs on my latest pic.
It's probably fortunate we don't have a legal system involving jurys in Sweden
wink.gif

If I cared about what average Joe thought acceptable, I would always be wearing jeans and hoodies/chinos and shirt with the rest of them. I'll admit this suit is kind of an experiment and that it's not a work suit, but for most other activities it works just fine imho.
About it being a DB, I wear it buttoned of course but left it open to show the whole suit in this pic.

I am admittedly a little suspicious about a legal system without juries ;o) But that aside, great response to a seemingly odd comment. That suit is not my thing but you make it work for you and you are certainly better dressed than the Average Swede.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lovely suit. Not sure about the shirt. But why oh why are you doing that #menswear thing with your tie? As I said to Timotune who has been doing a similar thing, it looks like something copied from GQ - and that isn't good.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A little country in the city today.
Gant by MB
Borrelli Luxury Vintage
Rose & Born
ROTM
image09-04-36.jpg

pant.jpg

I agree with orge, that tie boaner is ridiculous, silk knot in lapel + sunglasses out of the pocket, doesn't help it out any.

Like the suit fabric though.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I agree with orge, that tie boaner is ridiculous, silk knot in lapel + sunglasses out of the pocket, doesn't help it out any.
Like the suit fabric though.

It's a rosette, not a silk knot. I was my late father's and I wear it every day.

As for the rest, you know what they say about opinions...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a rosette, not a silk knot. I was my late father's and I wear it every day.
As for the rest, you know what they say about opinions...

cool beans about the rosette.

while you are free hold your opinion, and the main thing is that you are happy with your dress, you do have to admit that some of the elements in your fit are on the spreezy/#menswear side of things. and as long as youre cool with that, rock on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads