• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2nd Opinion on leather jacket fit

blobsterroll

Reaction score
I posted in FDL as well, but want to see what the people here think;

Recently picked up a Double Helix Innovator. Great jacket and my GF loved the back pocket feature for riding. If I have one gig I noticed is that the jacket has a generic leather smell (like my GF's LV bag) as opposed to my other Double Helix jacket that has a strong, sweet smell that lingers to this day (maybe Snake Oil Provisions put some conditioner on it? maybe thats what happens when you ship it from LA to Europe in the summer inside a plastic bag within a box?)

With a weird caveman posture with shoulders rolled forward, I noticed that the majority of my weight is on my upper back/upper lats area. If my pectoral muscles is a size 38, my back muscles is a size 42. Around my chest measures 41" and 42" when flexed and inhaled.

I saw this jacket in person and was able to try on a size 40 vs size 42.

Size 40: Has a 43.3" chest around. So 2 inch play around the chest. Fits comfortable enough that I can use this for riding without the sleeves riding up. Can layer with a hoodie comfortably even when zipped all the way up, albeit obv tight but still able to move. I dont know if its the pattern/maybe the armholes are bigger or rounder but in theory this jacket should feel too tight around the chest (based on old threads here I am supposed to have 4 inches around the chest) BUT it feels generous enough. Thing of concern is that the action back seems to be extended by half an inch or so when I am wearing it (note: the action back still has more room to extend). Not sure if its because the leather have not settled yet but thats how it looks right now. Nitpicking, I know. Double Helix models look like they are wearing it like this as well (snug)

Size 42: Obviously feels large (45 in around the chest) and I feel like I am swimming in it. GF and store clerk says its too big. Action back stays flat. In theory this should be my size (+4 inch chest ease) but its big in every other measurement, length, arms, etc. and my waist area has A LOT of room. It has NO taper at all in the pattern so I would have to get it tailored.

In the same store they also have an RMC J24 in size 40 (new size), and I tried it on and it felt like a DH size 42... which is why I am very curious about this and made this thread. Is that how a D pocket/J24 supposed to or traditionally supposed to fit? .

Understand that the fit is subjective btw, just want this to also fit proper and curious. Wont have this feel weird when its broken in and the novelty is gone. My style is mostly more streamlined and slim, not really vintage/heritage. But I am thinking I can make it work with a fit that has a looser vintage/old school looking leather jacket.

With all this in mind, should I size up or down? $0.02 cents is appreciated.

Attachments

• Layered 1.jpg
    Layered 1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Layered 2.jpg
    Layered 2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Shirt 1.jpg
    Shirt 1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Shirt 2.jpg
    Shirt 2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 93
  • shirt 3.jpg
    shirt 3.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Action Back Stretch.jpg
    Action Back Stretch.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Action Back Action.jpg
    Action Back Action.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 264

blobsterroll

Reaction score
It sounds like you've done your due diligence in trying on both sizes and evaluating how they fit your body type. Ultimately, the decision of whether to size up or down will depend on your personal preference and how you want the jacket to fit. It seems like you are leaning towards the size 40 since it fits comfortably enough for riding and allows you to layer with a hoodie, but you are concerned about the action back seeming extended when you wear it. Keep in mind that leather jackets will typically stretch and conform to your body over time, so it's possible that the action back will settle in and not be as noticeable. If you're still unsure, you could try reaching out to Double Helix or Snake Oil Provisions for their input on sizing and fit. Ultimately, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and confident in the jacket.

Yep. Just worried about the "proper" fit. Thing is not cheap lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads