1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDiaz

RDiaz Distinguished Member

I actually like Nick's outfit a lot. The chambray shirt, suede shoes and wool tie are perfectly fine with a casual suit like this; in fact I think it's more interesting this way, a very countryish look. I have to agree with everyone else on the tie boaner thing, though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i dont think anyone was saying the fit/combo is bad, i certainly wasnt. only that certain elements of the fit, and the way it was presented, was a bit dandyish. thats all. and like i said, if thats what he likes, more power to him.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Distinguished Member

In the first pic I said, hey not bad.

the 2nd pic is a trainwreck. The chinos look really in-congruent with the upper half and drape very poorly. Combine that with the PTBs (which look very geriatric in the pic) and you end up with a bit of a disaster.

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Distinguished Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oxxford suit, Barbera shirt, "Grenafaux" tie from thetiebar.com, BB square, Peal shoes

5. in stitches

^^ awesome, O ^^

this was discussed yesterday. and while i did state that im not a huge fran of those kind of khakis with that kind of jacket, the patches do bring it together some, and i certainly would not call it a disaster, thats a bit much i think.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Probably could've gone with an odd jacket today instead of a full suit, but meh. Worn with the J&M chelseas I wear whenever I have to wear a suit (they make me feel better). Saks house brand, wool silk blend BB tie and a very, very light pink mtm shirt.

[​IMG]

7. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member

^ Similar look today (top colors are accurate)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member

Tried the jacket a few weeks ago, found it very short and not right for my shoulders.
    Looks good on you, the pattern is very nice.

9. RDiaz

You're absolutely right - I'm only getting wool trousers from now on. Chinos always drape like crap on me (although these were a textured herringbone that IMO goes well with a patch pocket + elbow patches jacket). The shoes are a regrettable choice, but it was suppossed to be a rainy day and didn't want to wear anything better, really.

10. in stitches

:) welcome to the wooly side!!

fwiw, i hate how chinos drape on me too. i think my thighs are too thick. and, i also try and wear beater shoes when its supposed to rain. :cheers:

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

This was as of yesterday. I don't know about the tie knot, I tried the... I don't know if the name is correct, double four-in.hand? I kinda like it cause it looks messy and so formal/triangular like a half windsor. Shirt colour is maroon. I know it is not full of colour but it's conservative.

Any recommendations on which other colours I can use with this shirt? Thanks! Have a nice day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I really love that jacket/tie/PS combo. Absolutely top drawer. I'm not a big fan of chinos though, unless it's with a very unstructured casual jacket or none at all. For me, they're a bit scruffy for your above-the-waist classic elegance.

Regarding your question, if you never wear a double cuff (probably not right with this country-style jacket anyway), then yeah, why not taper the sleeves a touch? At the moment they look straight and it makes them look a touch short, when they're not really. But that begs another question: where are your shirt sleeves hiding? Maybe they're too short?

13. RDiaz

^ mimo, the shirt sleeves were indeed too short. And they were french cuffs [​IMG]

I wanted to lurk moar before poasting again, but maybe I could use a bit of feedback on today's trousers? They drape much better than chinos, but still not convinced... keep in mind all I can afford is RTW.

[​IMG]

14. in stitches

x - post

did this sweater and SC recently, but i swapped the white shirt for blue. better?

[​IMG]

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Quit obsessing about your thighs, man! We're not women.

I think these trousers look great, but there's a risk of their being what my daughter calls "ankle-bashers" when you walk. I think they need to be either a touch longer, or a touch more tapered. I'd go with the former personally, but the SF fashionistas will probably say go Italian i.e. stay short, but narrower. To me that's a little young and trendy, but then you might be younger and trendier than I am...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.