• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like I said, "stylist" to me connotes something like an image consultant. A person who directs what clothes you should wear. I'm sure Mariano does that if you ask him to, but what you describe, which is similar to my own experience, and has much more to do with technical and structural intra-garment detailing, doesn't really add up to that.

Rachel Zoe, for example, is a stylist (although, she has since become a designer, but you get the idea).

There is more than one definition for stylist and for designer. You are hung up on the one you don't like. I am.not even sure you know what someone like Rachel Zoe does, really.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There is more than one definition for stylist and for designer. You are hung up on the one you don't like. I am.not even sure you know what someone like Rachel Zoe does, really.

No, I'm simply being clear with my language. By the definition of "stylist" I am familiar with and which I observe most frequently, I don't really think it captures what Mariano does. If other people want to define the word with different nuance, we can talk materially about whether it applies. As of the moment, however, most are happy to throw words and assumptions around.

By the way, you are also unsure if I know what I experienced because a blogger, competing tailor, and a half dozen internet trolls told you that I didn't experience it, so I'm not sure how much it matters that you're not sure I know what Rachel Zoe does.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Google tells me that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (Danny Trepanier) is now a "Senior Advisor" for Michael Andrews "Bespoke" which I think means he's a stylist.

But I'm not really sure anymore.

You mean, that could have been me???

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

you should have been present when I remembered this and showed my wife. Amazing reaction.

What, did she momentarily think about leaving you? I'm so sorry. It just happens. It's the vividness of the tweed.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the dropped jaw was not due to an O-face.

I still remember the day we found out that a guy on our desk did some modelling (of the non-Excel variety) on the side - everyone set their desktop background to a different one of his headshots.

We referred to him as Mr. Dubai for a solid two weeks, even with clients.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm sure Mariano does that if you ask him to, but what you describe, which is similar to my own experience, and has much more to do with technical and structural intra-garment detailing

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I'm simply being clear with my language. By the definition of "stylist" I am familiar with and which I observe most frequently, I don't really think it captures what Mariano does. If other people want to define the word with different nuance, we can talk materially about whether it applies. As of the moment, however, most are happy to throw words and assumptions around.

By the way, you are also unsure if I know what I experienced because a blogger, competing tailor, and a half dozen internet trolls told you that I didn't experience it, so I'm not sure how much it matters that you're not sure I know what Rachel Zoe does.

No, your experience with Mariano, as you have described it, is with that of a traditional stylist, in the context of a tailoring house, which I described earlier on. They can play varying roles, and advise more, or less, depending on the client.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The first Rubinacci tailor was Cesare Attolini, who did OK for himself.

I think you meant his father Vincenzo Attolini, who teached at that time my grandmaster who later became of Rubinacci as he told me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8