• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Medallion wholecuts
Antique rioja
9.5F
Commissioned through Leffot

I have seen the light - I am going to be buying more G&G / Edward Green going forward and selling down some of my Alden (Alden will be more focused on smart casual and weekend looks).

Congrats, enjoy your first GGs.

I hear ya, I have a few AE's that i can knock around, and everything else i want GG or EG... :slayer:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are a more fashion forward version of EG. But why are they more expensive?

GG lasts are really nice (haven't tried deco or GG06). But again that price bump and high hurdle for mto along with shoe tree requirement just annoyed me in principle. They are the worst value IMO next to alden calf and CJ Handgrade

I've observed / handled John Lobb, St Crispin, Corthay and own one EG and one G&G. To me, the G&G has the most "fashion forward" look across the board, and the construction is at least on par with my Edward Green.

Is the styling and craftmanship worth a premium over EG? For some models, maybe. I also was impressed with my fitting and the on-time delivery for my MTO.

I think I am in-line for a two or three more EGs (classic black captoe, something in suede, maybe a dover) and two or three more G&G (brown balmoral of some sort, maybe a loafer) over the next two-three years. Hopefully selling some Alden pairs will fund half of these purchases (I'll focus more on bluchers and boots there).

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've observed / handled John Lobb, St Crispin, Corthay and own one EG and one G&G. To me, the G&G has the most "fashion forward" look across the board, and the construction is at least on par with my Edward Green.

Is the styling and craftmanship worth a premium over EG? For some models, maybe. I also was impressed with my fitting and the on-time delivery for my MTO.

I think I am in-line for a two or three more EGs (classic black captoe, something in suede, maybe a dover) and two or three more G&G (brown balmoral of some sort, maybe a loafer) over the next two-three years. Hopefully selling some Alden pairs will fund half of these purchases (I'll focus more on bluchers and boots there).

For RTW, craftsmanship? No. Style? A matter of personal taste. EG is more conservative looking than G&G while JL is more elegant than EG despite all share the same EG heritage.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Medallion wholecuts
Antique rioja
9.5F
Commissioned through Leffot

I have seen the light - I am going to be buying more G&G / Edward Green going forward and selling down some of my Alden (Alden will be more focused on smart casual and weekend looks).

Good to also see you on this side of the SF divide. Haven't been in the Alden thread too much recently since it goes way too damn fast to keep up. I do the same with my Aldens and use them as weekend footwear. During the week, EG and G&G dominate. Wholecut looks great by the way!

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classic Wigmore combo, very nice.

Regarding boot weather, I must be mad to wear my boots year round here in Florida. To be fair, we only really get two seasons out of every year...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An example of excellent customer service from GG:

I had recently applied some black cream to my deco black Wigmores, only to realize that the cream had covered up the bleached toe effect a bit. In my ignorance, i applied some shoe shampoo to the tips, in an attempt to remove some of the black cream. It resulted in the stripping down of the finish on the toes. In my defense, the shoe shampoo is not as strong as reno-mat, and i did not think it would have this harsh of an effect on the crust leather finish. Either way, my mistake, and a lesson harshly learned.

After some attempts to correct this by applying some more cream and wax, it was apparent that the bleaching effect will be once again lost, and the toes remained in a matte gloss condition. This is when i turned to GG and sent them an email. I asked if they had any suggestions, or if they would be willing to fix and re-apply the deco finish, at my expense of course. Dean promptly replied in less than 12 hours, and offered to fix them pro bono (as long as i cover shipping back).

With all of the negative take about GG's high prices & value, i though this would be a good example of what great customer service GG offers. It encourages me to order another shoe, because this kind of service deserves some gratitude on my part. Thanks you Dean, and thank you GG, it is truly appreciated... :worship2:

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had recently applied some black cream to my deco black Wigmores, only to realize that the cream had covered up the bleached toe effect a bit. In my ignorance, i applied some shoe shampoo to the tips, in an attempt to remove some of the black cream. It resulted in the stripping down of the finish on the toes. In my defense, the shoe shampoo is not as strong as reno-mat, and i did not think it would have this harsh of an effect on the crust leather finish. Either way, my mistake, and a lesson harshly learned.

After some attempts to correct this by applying some more cream and wax, it was apparent that the bleaching effect will be once again lost, and the toes remained in a matte gloss condition. This is when i turned to GG and sent them an email. I asked if they had any suggestions, or if they would be willing to fix and re-apply the deco finish, at my expense of course. Dean promptly replied in less than 12 hours, and offered to fix them pro bono (as long as i cover shipping back).

With all of the negative take about GG's high prices & value, i though this would be a good example of what great customer service GG offers. It encourages me to order another shoe, because this kind of service deserves some gratitude on my part. Thanks you Dean, and thank you GG, it is truly appreciated...
worship2.gif

Nice! Yeah things like that really means a lot, when they do care about their customers. I have a friend who's going to order a bespoke pair from a maker, but he has a hard time deciding if he should go for a shoe or boot (you need to make different lasts for those different types of footwear). So the company offered to take measures for both types and make two test shoes, one pair of shoes and one pair of boots, which mean he didn't have to decide until after the fitting and would give him more time to think his decision through. At no extra cost. Really a kind gesture to the client.

Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

With all of the negative take about GG's high prices & value, i though this would be a good example of what great customer service GG offers. It encourages me to order another shoe, because this kind of service deserves some gratitude on my part. Thanks you Dean, and thank you GG, it is truly appreciated... :worship2:

Dean's a nice a guy. He fitted me in Toronto a few months back and was a great guy to chat with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads