• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the smudge next to the 10 was supposed to indicate a 1/2 or not.

It’s possible that the “1/2” stamp was very faint but that seems extremely faint to me. What does the other boot show?

roz77

Reaction score
It’s possible that the “1/2” stamp was very faint but that seems extremely faint to me. What does the other boot show?
The exact same thing, they both have that same smudge.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The exact same thing, they both have that same smudge.
For comparison: clear “1/2” and a random smudge (further away from the size number). Note: just screenshotted from ebay (not my personal pairs).

IMG_3097.jpeg
IMG_3098.jpeg

vubui

Reaction score
Man, Alden aged well-cared for shell is just stunning. Those look amazing @vubui. I am curious about the comfort difference (if any) going from crepe to dainite.
Thanks! Yeah there was a difference especially right after the change. The crepe had an almost sneaker-like cushioning when walking that a Dainite studded sole definitely doesn’t have. But after a few wears they’ve become just as comfortable as they were, but without that cushy step. I think the majority of the comfort of wearing these comes from the fact that the shoe fits me really well, but a well-cushioned sole does feel nice in comparison to a hard Dainite or commando. I don’t necessarily feel it’s more comfortable for regular use, walking around, but if I needed to move more quickly or was jumping around I’d definitely miss the bounce of that crepe, or perhaps if I was walking very long distances I could see how these harder soles would be more fatiguing.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah there was a difference especially right after the change. The crepe had an almost sneaker-like cushioning when walking that a Dainite studded sole definitely doesn’t have. But after a few wears they’ve become just as comfortable as they were, but without that cushy step. I think the majority of the comfort of wearing these comes from the fact that the shoe fits me really well, but a well-cushioned sole does feel nice in comparison to a hard Dainite or commando. I don’t necessarily feel it’s more comfortable for regular use, walking around, but if I needed to move more quickly or was jumping around I’d definitely miss the bounce of that crepe, or perhaps if I was walking very long distances I could see how these harder soles would be more fatiguing.

I’ve visited SF 3-4 times today and each time I’ve taken a glance at yours. Minor QC issues aside, anyone wants to question the value of Alden shell need only examine these 12 year old beauties. I’ve owned 2 pairs of black shell boots, both on TB, both on neocork. IMO neocork is king for comfort and the aesthetics works perfectly with black TB. But glad to hear you’ve broken in the Dainite. Those boots are made to be worn…..a lot. Nicely done my-man.

vubui

Reaction score
I’ve visited SF 3-4 times today and each time I’ve taken a glance at yours. Minor QC issues aside, anyone wants to question the value of Alden shell need only examine these 12 year old beauties. I’ve owned 2 pairs of black shell boots, both on TB, both on neocork. IMO neocork is king for comfort and the aesthetics works perfectly with black TB. But glad to hear you’ve broken in the Dainite. Those boots are made to be worn…..a lot. Nicely done my-man.
Thanks so much, man! Yeah I know there’s suddenly hate around Alden and doubting of their value but it’s hard to argue with the many pairs that are out there, still being worn over a decade or more, still looking and feeling awesome.

I haven’t had a neocork sole, I think I need to try it some time! I was worried the Dainite would be uncomfortable based on so many people trashing it but it’s proven to work well for me, though I’ve experienced that it doesn’t do well on ice. Neither do my commando soles though, but I do think they fare slightly better. The crepe wasn’t great at all though it might have been better on wet tile. Winter is just a tough time to walk around!

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, man! Yeah I know there’s suddenly hate around Alden and doubting of their value but it’s hard to argue with the many pairs that are out there, still being worn over a decade or more, still looking and feeling awesome.

I haven’t had a neocork sole, I think I need to try it some time! I was worried the Dainite would be uncomfortable based on so many people trashing it but it’s proven to work well for me, though I’ve experienced that it doesn’t do well on ice. Neither do my commando soles though, but I do think they fare slightly better. The crepe wasn’t great at all though it might have been better on wet tile. Winter is just a tough time to walk around!
I'm a new Alden fan. Having said that, I've bought two pre-owned on eBay. The first are brilliant CXL Indys and the second (on their way) are Alden 903s. - black wingtip oxfords.

vubui

Reaction score
I bought these from Epaulet in 2013, Alden Brixton in Natural Chromexcel. At the time I didn’t know much about leather care and treated them with Saphir Renovateur without testing it on a small area first, and they immediately darkened, but not in a good way, they were sort of greyish. I hated it! I still wore them but hoped that they would lighten back up... which of course didn’t happen. But over time the color deepened and changed to the much more complex and rich look that they have now, and it’s a color I wish I could replicate in other boots.

But now that I don’t live in the city anymore and have moved to the country I’m considering putting some sort of rubber sole on these, maybe Ridgeway. The double leather was great in town on dry days, but I haven’t worn them since I moved and I miss them. Any opinions on Ridgeway soles? I haven‘t owned them yet.

L1010120.jpeg

L1010123.jpeg

L1010121.jpeg

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you...I know that they're rare but since I've seen unglazed #2 and Cigar, I was just checking. Thanks again.
Doing a color unglazed isnt rare. It just needs to be ordered as such. Unglazed shells eventaully patina to look like their glazed counterparts anyways thanks to conditioners. It mostly just speeds up the early stages of patina. Alden could order it at any time, just like they used to order embossed versions. Viberg was the last brand to run unglazed 8 afaik.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these from Epaulet in 2013, Alden Brixton in Natural Chromexcel. At the time I didn’t know much about leather care and treated them with Saphir Renovateur without testing it on a small area first, and they immediately darkened, but not in a good way, they were sort of greyish. I hated it! I still wore them but hoped that they would lighten back up... which of course didn’t happen. But over time the color deepened and changed to the much more complex and rich look that they have now, and it’s a color I wish I could replicate in other boots.

But now that I don’t live in the city anymore and have moved to the country I’m considering putting some sort of rubber sole on these, maybe Ridgeway. The double leather was great in town on dry days, but I haven’t worn them since I moved and I miss them. Any opinions on Ridgeway soles? I haven‘t owned them yet.

View attachment 2100045

View attachment 2100047

View attachment 2100049

Those look spectacular. I love the ridgeway soles — I find them both more grippy and more comfortable than studded dainite.

vubui

Reaction score
Those look spectacular. I love the ridgeway soles — I find them both more grippy and more comfortable than studded dainite.
Thanks! And good to know about Ridgeway soles. Time to shop for something! 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads