• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

travsirocz

Reaction score
Wow - this is a cool list and I'll follow it on Pinterest.

I like how you've selected some very artistic pictures to use - shows the deep character of the bags - especially after many years of use.

On your list, I own (or have owned) NINE of the bags pictured!
Thank you, I really wanted the photos to show the character which draws me personally to the brand. Which of the nine bags was your favorite?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I really wanted the photos to show the character which draws me personally to the brand. Which of the nine bags was your favorite?
Which of my Nine bags are my favorite?

Loaded question but since I only have 4 in my possession currently (well 5 if you count the new Travel Pack (Model #20019936)). Right now, I have:
- New Medium Duffle (Navy) #11070325: My go-to, tough as nails, go everywhere, great for plane rides, even better for car rides, load it up or keep it light and smash it down, weekender or week-long bag. This is my current personal favorite for travel of all types.

- Original Briefcase (Tan) #11070256: Used to have this in black, didn't like it so sold it on eBay. Used the 24 hour bag for a while, but also sold it. Now back to the Original Briefcase in Tan. Really liking it as my daily carrier. I don't think I liked it in black but the tan is just a classic. I now understand the hype.

- Heritage Sportsman (Tan with a bit of orange under the flap) #11070073: Much like Soletrane, I'll probably never sell this one. Really solid bag (he's got a different version of the Sportsman) for all sorts of activities. Great for one night, overnights, great for random stuff you need to carry (shooting supplies if that's what you're into, or other kinds of sports). Just a great bag and one I'll probably keep forever.

- Rolling Carry-On Bag Medium (Navy) #11070323: Just got this because I'm starting a new job with tons of travel. Might try using this because I'll be in suits/sportscoats and want to see if I'll like the roller. (Historically the answer has been "NO", but we'll see). Haven't even used it yet.

My ALL TIME FAVORITE though is probably the Mesh Fly Fishing Strap Vest #11010670. Mostly because if I'm wearing it, then I'm in the water with a fly rod in hand!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally, I was always on the lookout for "One Bag to Rule Them All". But as I started to accumulate Filson bags, I started to realize for every trip, I was taking a different combination on each trip - so a justification for my addiction!

Here's my favorite combo if I can pack light enough.

IMG_3551.JPG

Reaction score
FILSON in pop culture. Can anyone name a FILSON product in movies, TV shows or just someone noteworthy using it personally? Pictures help.

I'll start with a completely obscure and hard to prove one (as I can't find many pictures, articles or even a special thanks in the cast of the movie).

Meg Ryan: City of Angels. FILSON Product: Tan Rucksack

View attachment 800072

I just saw Baby Driver today and Kevin Spacey's character uses a tan medium travel bag, which is now discontinued. I shrieked when I saw it and turned to my friend to whisper "filson bag."

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of photos of my 2 zip totes. Black is Nanamica collaboration and is the first Filson bag my wife has liked. She will have it and I can "borrow".
Real reason for posting is to say that the new tan 261 which was manufactured in sept 2016 is rock solid. Leather is perfect - thick and even. Stitching flawless. And even the key clip is beefier than the one on the black version. So no loss of quality evident.

Now just waiting for my vintage eBay find double mackinaw cruiser in red plaid to arrive :)

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy - you seem to have as big of an addiction as I do. Just buying Filson stuff for the hell of it? Me too!

I just bought a Filson belt this past week (driving through Plano, TX). Plus, my new rolling carry-on. (still unused)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier - really looking forward to your review on the rolling carry on.

Guilty on the belt too. Got one in Austin when I was there for SXSW.

It's winter here in Oz and a good classic coat seemed a good idea. And at $90 it was an absolute bargain.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy611,
Definitely a nice upgrade on the key fob design! I have a couple of Filson bags with key fob feature. I frequently find myself coming home - after the inevitable delayed flight - to a dark doorstep late in the evening. So being able to just reach into a bag pocket and unhook the keys I attached there several days ago makes life just a little better.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw Baby Driver today and Kevin Spacey's character uses a tan medium travel bag, which is now discontinued. I shrieked when I saw it and turned to my friend to whisper "filson bag."
lol awesome find and I do the same whenever I see a filson product. After all besides us quirky cats and a few original celebrities, whose even heard of Filson. Its not like Coach, Louis Vutton, or of course Gucci, which is over-hyped in Hollywood. Maybe that's why I love it so much.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
How do people feel about the briefcases in the black color?

I have a 256 in Tan which I love, but I've lately found I need a slightly bigger size. I just picked up a black 257 for $165. Figured it was worth a shot. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3634.JPG
IMG_3633.JPG
At local REI store today. I was looking at all the nylon day packs and out of the corner I see an otter green small twill duffle - which really surprised me.

It was stiff like all new twill bags. The twill is as heavy duty as ever. The leather was dark brown and pristine (no pitting or wrinkling on underside) and it had an attractive black Filson label.

And to my surprise, the brass hardware is heavier now and I am quite sure made fully of brass!

Filson Island

Reaction score
How do people feel about the briefcases in the black color?

I have a 256 in Tan which I love, but I've lately found I need a slightly bigger size. I just picked up a black 257 for $165. Figured it was worth a shot. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Great deal !!!

I chose the 257 in black and love it. I can take it everywhere and it just looks right. Classy without standing out too much.

Yes the green and tan are also wonderful colors, but for me the black works best in the many different meetings and trips I take.

Enjoy your new Filson.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considered black before - hides dirt and grime - and it's effectively standard for business travel luggage and accessories.

Maybe a little at odds with the earthy vibe of Filson gear so less common color. But practically speaking, you get all the benefits of Filson materials and design with a more stealthy look

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads