• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I had the chance to use this more, but enjoy the heck out of it when I do.

orig.jpg
Is that the medium duffle? That's my number one go-to bag for ALL car travel and quite a bit of air travel.

What else would you use instead?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found another Filson pop culture reference. Watching Godzilla (2014) and saw a Filson #257. It's in the beginning mining scene. Color is tan. It looks like an older version (pad-less strap)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the large. I'd likely get more use out of the medium as the large is overkill for overnight or even a weekend.
Ah yes. I had a large duffle for a bit (bought on ebay) and it was a cool bag but just too damn big for 99% of any day-to-day use. i think I took it camping once but even then it was too big to lug around.

If you ever get a chance to check out the newly-sized medium duffle you should. It's the perfect size, in my opinion. I have it in Navy and it's damn good.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
My black 257 arrived today. A few observations:

• The murdered out look is pretty boss. Has a totally different vibe than the tan.
  • However, the pitch black interior makes it hard to see inside the bag, especially when placing small items.
  • I was shocked when I took the bag out of the box. It actually seemed smaller than my 256.
  • However, upon fully loading up the bag...it is clear that there is a lot more room.
  • I can't tell any difference weight-wise between the 257 and 256.
I was hoping someone who knows about these things could advise on what the different tags mean (production year, etc.). Thanks!

IMG_3336.jpg
IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3338.jpg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My black 257 arrived today. A few observations:

• The murdered out look is pretty boss. Has a totally different vibe than the tan.
  • However, the pitch black interior makes it hard to see inside the bag, especially when placing small items.
  • I was shocked when I took the bag out of the box. It actually seemed smaller than my 256.
  • However, upon fully loading up the bag...it is clear that there is a lot more room.
  • I can't tell any difference weight-wise between the 257 and 256.
I was hoping someone who knows about these things could advise on what the different tags mean (production year, etc.). Thanks!

View attachment 811447 View attachment 811448 View attachment 811449

There should be a white tag inside the bag that has the manufacture date denoted by Month and Year in this format IIRC, MMYY.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3233.JPG
@RogerP - I have the large duffle too. I love it. I've lived out of it a few times on long overseas trips. Yes it gets heavy. But the size means that with judicious use of packing cubes you never really have to unpack - just open that giant zipper and there is all your stuff.
No, it's not a weekend bag, but that just means having a different tool for those occasions :)

@OtterMeanGreen - I saw a medium duffle in nicely beaten up shape in the Newsroom - S2 ep3 as Maggie goes off to Africa. This wasn't a prop - it looked prorperly used.

General question - I know this is a bag thread, but I'm curious that there isn't more chatter here about Filson clothing. I use a Filson bag of one sort or another daily but I also wear something Filson most days too. I was excited to find a Filson Down Cruiser Parka for $150 brand new this weekend - see pic. All the usual quality plus 550 goose down. For $150...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 811950 @RogerP - I have the large duffle too. I love it. I've lived out of it a few times on long overseas trips. Yes it gets heavy. But the size means that with judicious use of packing cubes you never really have to unpack - just open that giant zipper and there is all your stuff.
No, it's not a weekend bag, but that just means having a different tool for those occasions :)

@OtterMeanGreen - I saw a medium duffle in nicely beaten up shape in the Newsroom - S2 ep3 as Maggie goes off to Africa. This wasn't a prop - it looked prorperly used.

General question - I know this is a bag thread, but I'm curious that there isn't more chatter here about Filson clothing. I use a Filson bag of one sort or another daily but I also wear something Filson most days too. I was excited to find a Filson Down Cruiser Parka for $150 brand new this weekend - see pic. All the usual quality plus 550 goose down. For $150...
Speedy - from a clothing (non-bag) standpoint, I own 3 shirts from Filson: a feather cloth shirt in smoke blue, a mid-weight patterned shirt in grey/brown and a chambray shirt (I think it's chambray).

One thing I will tell you is that I have to size down one size. I've worn size Large in nearly every shirt I've ever worn for the past 10-15 years. With Filson, I need to buy Medium.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
There should be a white tag inside the bag that has the manufacture date denoted by Month and Year in this format IIRC, MMYY.

Thanks. Looks like they were made about a year apart. November 2013 for the tan 256, and November 2014 for the black 257.

I'm curious what goes into the thinking about changing the label.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I have a system to organize my irrational Filson luggage obsession in the context of airline travel:

Small: small duffle or sportsman 266 (up to 3-4 day trip)

Medium (approx max carry-on size): large travel bag 248 or large carry-on 242 (up to a week long trip)

Large (checked bag): Medium Duffle (larger old version) (week plus trip)

And then add the journeyman backpack to bridge the gap for trips where I need laptop or just a little more capacity.

I think this would handle most any trip I would take without having to pull out any of the old black Travelpro rollers from the attic!

Explorer2

Reaction score
FYI, Filson is offering 40% discount on their 48 Hour Duffel in black. I have one arriving on Monday. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the build quality since the acquisition. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, Filson is offering 40% discount on their 48 Hour Duffel in black. I have one arriving on Monday. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the build quality since the acquisition. I hope I'm not disappointed.
Let us know how it looks when you get it. The good news is that they still have the lifetime warranty so if something crazy happens...

I'm curious as well what you think of the lighter weight tin cloth vs. the 22 oz rugged twill. I had the Meridian (which had the tin cloth) and while I loved the size, I wanted to keep the heavier twill...

Explorer2

Reaction score
I will let you know. I've never owned a Filson before, and have not had a chance to compare the two fabrics. What appealed to me with the 48 Hour was the size and exterior pockets. I'll post a review of my thoughts on Monday. Have a great weekend!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the Meridian in the lighter tan tin cloth too. I sold it it as I also preferred the heavier twill.

More recently, I reconsidered that decision as it was light and easy to carry for such a big bag. I would just have gone with black or navy as tan tin cloth just picks up every mark and stain.

I think the 48h also has a great design.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Explorer2 - Welcome to the Filson club. I hope you like the bag. I have the 48h in tan, and the exterior pockets are fantastic, as are the under-rated slip pockets that are behind them. There are also 2 more pockets at the ends of the bag on the inside. The bag can swallow a lot of stuff too. I use it for 3-4 day business trips, where several sets of clothing plus laptop all go into a single bag.

What does the assembled wisdom think? Does the discount suggest they are discontinuing the model, or just the version in black?

@mgrennier and @Soltrane: As for tin cloth vs twill - I have 4 or 5 bags in the twill, and the 48h and Tin Cloth backpack in the tin. I like both. The tin performs well, and takes patina (dirt?!) differently, and I like the variety. At least with the Tin cloth, re-waxing can help with upkeep. As you know some have waxed their twill, but it never (to me) really looks that good afterwards.

Gratuitous Filson product shot: travel bag or duffle seen in the trailer for Baby Driver.

And I can't resist following @Soletrane with a 'system' for which bag to use when:

Daily work: 258 briefcase or tin cloth backpack
At Weekends / Vacation: 261 zip tote or Medium Field bag.
Short Trips: 48h duffle or 261
Medium: 48 plus 261. Or, Pullman
Long: Pullman + backpack or 261 - OR - large duffle plus backpack or 261.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads