Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Explorer2

Explorer2 Member

Thanks Speedy611. I'll be sure to check out bags in both fabrics next week. Good idea on the strap. In most cases, I probably wouldn't be using both bags together. Thanks again.

2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Explorer2, congrats on the duffle! Photos welcome! ;-)

I think the fabric strap pairs well with the lighter weight and feel of the tin cloth. Just like you might wear a fabric belt with summer weight pants. Also functionally, the fabric strap is very comfortable. I have one on my very heavy large travel bag and it distributes the weight of the bag over a larger surface area than the leather pad on the leather strap.

3. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Hey all.
    Love all the passion around the Filson world! You make me feel better because as passionate as I am about my Filson bags, I know you guys are out there just a little bit more crazy than me!

As some of you know, I decided to go against my usual better judgement and get myself a (gasp!) roller bag.

At least it is a Filson!

I have now used my Filson Medium Carry-On for two consecutive two-week trips - combining a family weekend in between two Monday-Thursday (in other words, 10 day trips - 7 business, 3 casual). I haven't used a rolling bag for several years and I have to tell you, it has some advantages:
    - You can comfortably load this puppy up with a LOT of stuff and not worrry about the wear and tear on your shoulder as you will with a duffle.
    - It looks great - still has the Filson qualities which we all love, but provides a bit more convenience factor from a weight standpoint.
    - It fits well in overhead carry-on bins (mostly Southwest Airlines) so that's not a problem.
    - On one of the the trips, I did a "check through to your final destination" - partly because I was not in a hurry and partly because I wanted to see how it would survive the baggage handlers (it came out shiny and new with just a few character marks on the leather straps)
    - My EDC is the Original Briefcase which you can see in the pic. I just throw both straps over the handle and it moves very well.
    - I still get a chuckle out of the sheep that continue to use the crappy-ass black "just like everybody" else roller bags. At least this LOOKS cool.
    - Finally - it's definitely not as "convenient" as some of the wanna-be roller bags. For example, you must buckle it up once you zip it up (oh, the horror!). Not a big deal until you forget to put something in your bag and then it's "unbuckle one side, unbuckle the other side and THEN zip it up" - but when this happens, I pause briefly and think about this forum and I really think it's worth it for the extra 15 seconds it takes me.

All in all, if you're looking to go with a roller bag, this is a GREAT bag.

That said - when I have a shorter trip, I'll definitely be pulling out the medium duffle, which remains my favorite Filson bag.

Hope this is of some interest.

IMG_1436.JPG

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Mgrennier, nice pic - looks great in navy. I have used a (checked) rolling suitcase - but not a Filson - a few times on business trips and I use a Filson as my carryon piece to get my fix. But this looks like a nice option for heavier loads. There is definitely a weight where carrying a duffle become an act of endurance and willpower rather than pleasurable.

5. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Mgrennier, I will one day pick up the roller bag, but I'd be wary of checking it. I'm afraid of the straps getting caught in those luggage assembly lines and destroying it.

6. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Nah, that's the beauty of Filson. Let it get beat up a bit.

7. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I don't mean the patina. I'm all for that. I'm talking about the straps getting caught somewhere. I've had nice quality luggage tags (the ones with your name address on it) that disappear when I get my bags back from the luggage carousel.

8. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Yea - I understand that aspect of it. I can't blame the baggage handlers though - they're handling hundreds and hundreds of bags per hour. Maybe I should hang a big sign on the carry-on: "Hey you Mr. Baggage Handler - this is a genuine Filson - be gentle!"

(Not sure if that would work)

9. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

I was talking to the guys at the Portland store and they confirmed that the Pullman is being discontinued. Small Pullman will remain. Also - it appears a price increase came again alongside the summer sale. Zippered tote bag is now $225.

$225!

10. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

$225! Seems like a hundred buck jump in only a few years.

I guess half the fun for me is now finding them on sale.

11. speedy611

speedy611 Active Member

@mgrennier - thanks for the write up on the roller. How good are the plastic and metal parts? I'm sure the twill and leather is excellent, but rolling chassis and telescoping handles aren't Filson's core competency so I'm curious if they feel as solid as other top end biz luggage?

@nevadabob - very interesting that they are discontinuing the Pullman. Lower demand? Moving people to duffles to simplify the line? I love mine.

@Soltrane - I'm with you. I saw the price increase on the 261 too. That said as I mentioned recently my new 261 (tag is 10/16) is very solid. Perhaps they are upping quality? I agree too that finding well priced ones is part of the fun now. I got a total steal on mine- I really don't think I'd have paid $225 (although they do seem to be offering a members 10% discount rather than just on first order). In that case it may be that they are trying to build a stronger community via repeat business for whom actual prices are slightly lower than list.

And to make mgrennier feel better about obsession and addiction - my vintage double mac cruiser in red/black plaid arrived this week. It's awesome and despite being 30 years old looks and feels mint. :)

12. teaegg

teaegg Active Member

Anyone have the zipper tote in navy? Curious if it holds its shape well. Is the navy twill still thinner than the other colors?

13. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Speedy - Regarding the plastic parts. The telescoping handle feels very solid and smooth. It slides in an out very easily and seems to be of good quality. I have no concerns about the handle.

The plastic on the wheel housing are plastic - kind of heavy duty, but not really all THAT heavy duty. Feel like they'll last for a long time - won't crack, etc. A few weeks of travel shows some nicks and scratches but that's to be expected. It was a bit weird at first to have plastic on a Filson but it seems to be all good.

Funny - when I called customer service a few weeks ago about the fact that it's not made in the US anymore they told me that one of the reasons they outsource this overseas is because of their lack of expertise on plastics, wheels, etc.

Other parts of the bag (leather, twill, zippers) are pure Filson. Very heavy duty and solid.

Post some pics about your mac cruiser. Would be curious to see how it looks.

I also just picked up the medium size dopp bag that they just released. Very nice stuff as well.