• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy611, I was thinking it was just a temporary discount on the black 48h. I saw a similar sale on the medium duffle not too long ago.

I would buy the 48h in heartbeat but it occupies the same slot as my Sportsman. Maybe a bit more professional looking in black, but another Small bag according to my "system".

I like your "Filson system"! What do you think of the Pullman and the clamshell design more generally?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Soletrane - I really like the Pullman. Mine's the original size, not the more recent smaller one. For me the clamshell is good and I like being able to organise either with or without packing cubes as desired. The bag can swallow an absolutely huge amount of stuff. The two outside zip pockets are useful. I also really like the proportions and overall design. Not boxy, just rugged. If not fully stuffed it's possible to take aboard internationally long haul without checking it in. So Pullman + Medium Field bag = super classy, flexible luggage for almost anything. Swap in 261 tote if you need laptop carrying space, or expect any quick overnights while in the middle of a longer trip.

(off topic, but it IS just possible to get a 15in MBP into a medium field bag, but it takes a bit of a push, and once in, isn't easily accessible nor very protected)

The only downside to the Pullman is it's heavy when full but because I use Filson stuff I'm super manly so that's not an issue. :)

Pretty Pic of pullman and 258:
CD2A4687-2F4B-4880-963A-42ED52CB21F7.JPG

Explorer2

Reaction score
Speedy611, thanks for the warm welcome. I have a feeling they are discontinuing the 48 hr in black. The black version hasn't been available over the past couple of weeks at all, and then it shows up on the sale page. I could be wrong. I am off to NYC next weekend, and I look forward to visiting the Filson store. It's possible that a briefcase is in my future.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone who can replace a zipper on a filson 257? Bought the bag on ebay with a torn zipper. Upon receipt, I noticed the X'd out tag. Filson informed me that they won't repair an X'd out tagged product. I wasn't looking for warranty repair, I was happy to pay for it but they won't do it. They were nice enough to mail me a replacement zipper at no cost but I haven't had any luck finding someone to to do the work. Local cobblers and luggage repair all declined the work.

I'm happy to ship it to a reputable leather craftsman but don't know anyone.

Thanks for any help.

motosacto

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone who can replace a zipper on a filson 257? Bought the bag on ebay with a torn zipper. Upon receipt, I noticed the X'd out tag. Filson informed me that they won't repair an X'd out tagged product. I wasn't looking for warranty repair, I was happy to pay for it but they won't do it. They were nice enough to mail me a replacement zipper at no cost but I haven't had any luck finding someone to to do the work. Local cobblers and luggage repair all declined the work.

I'm happy to ship it to a reputable leather craftsman but don't know anyone.

Thanks for any help.

This is stitching through the leather trim, right? Suggest you check with shoe repair shops - many also work on leather goods like purses. You might also ask at a local tack store - it is bridle leather, after all...

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy611, I have the long discontinued large carryon bag 242 which is also clamshell. About the same size as the small Pullman but with a double buckled flap. I like it for work trips as it keeps things neatly folded without being too thick when you carry. However, I like the traditional duffle shapes for leisure.

Speaking of leisure, I am taking the large travel bag (also discontinued) on a week long trip overseas. It can really big and boxy if stuffed so I am alittle hesitant. On the other hand it has capacity for souvenirs and plenty of pockets for gear and food.

IMG_3690.JPG

I was thinking a 261 might be a good daybag/airline personal item as a companion piece but wasn't sure if the tote is as comfortable to carry all day like a messenger bag or a backpack. Any thoughts?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is stitching through the leather trim, right? Suggest you check with shoe repair shops - many also work on leather goods like purses. You might also ask at a local tack store - it is bridle leather, after all...

Yes stitching through leather and canvas. I tried several local cobblers/shoe repair shops. They all declined. Luggage repair ships out to a central shops so they didn't want to even quote it.

Hadn't thought of a tach shop. Will give it a try.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3193.JPG
@Soletrane - I'm really sold on the 261. As many before me have said, it's just a super flexible do anything bag. Space for an overnight or 2, useful pockets, attractive and unfussy. Good on plane (and can take a laptop in a sleeve).

Downsides? Clearly there is no crossbody/ hands free option. It sits fine on one shoulder, and assuming not overloaded I'd be ok to carry it like that all day. But if you are wrangling kids or hiking or something then a messenger or backpack might be better. I guess the alternatives are the various Filson backpacks. The 261 is much larger than the medium field bag, and even the 258. I have the tin cloth backpack and the 261 is approx 2x as capacious.

I ended up with 2 - a limited edition in black that my wife now has - her first Filson! - and a standard tan one.

I thing the 261 is just a great, flexible, use for anything sort of bag. If you get one you will find uses for it, and wonder how you managed without.

Let us know what you decide!!!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks speedy611 for all the info. It seems like the 261 is really the Bag for All Reasons: laptop case/carry on/overnight bag/gym bag. And, oh yeah, tote!

Flo3000

Reaction score
Advice needed - Sportsman bag has faded

Dear all, I have a problem and hope that you might be able to help me...

One of my Filson bags was exposes to sun in my living room.... actually because I loved to lock at this beautiful bag...

But now my sportsman bag is quite sun bleached... looks a bit greyish .... any idea/trick how to bring the original color back...? Or just a little bit?

Thanks a lot ---- Flo

IMG-2285.JPG
IMG-2286.JPG

Thanks a lot ... Flo

Explorer2

Reaction score
OK, 48 Hour Duffel arrived today. I really like it. The black is better than I had hoped, and at $279, it's a bargain. My only complaint is the trolley strap. I would rather it not be there as it seems like there is too much play there for it to be effective. I never use that feature anyway.

What is the consensus on the cotton shoulder strap? Should it be upgraded to the leather version? I am thinking yes. There is probably a 24 Hour Tin Briefcase in my future. I'll be at the Manhattan store next week and can't wait to check it out!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice needed - Sportsman bag has faded

Dear all, I have a problem and hope that you might be able to help me...

One of my Filson bags was exposes to sun in my living room.... actually because I loved to lock at this beautiful bag...

But now my sportsman bag is quite sun bleached... looks a bit greyish .... any idea/trick how to bring the original color back...? Or just a little bit?

Thanks a lot ---- Flo

View attachment 814845 View attachment 814846
Thanks a lot ... Flo

You really can't unfade the bag. That faded look is what many like about old, vintage bags.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Explorer2 - Glad it's arrived and you are pleased. I agree on the trolley strap. If it had been my design I'd have made that another pocket. Or even made it a pocket with a small zip at the bottom so it could become a tunnel - i.e. a longer and more sturdy trolley strap. Anyway, easy enough to ignore.

On the leather strap - sure, why not? But, as a suggestion - if you are thinking about a briefcase, don't get the tin cloth, get the twill. Then you've got some variety. And, if you get the twill, you'll get a leather strap. Will you use the 48hr and briefcase together all the time? Probably not, so then you can just move the strap you prefer to the bag you are using.

Explorer2

Reaction score
Thanks Speedy611. I'll be sure to check out bags in both fabrics next week. Good idea on the strap. In most cases, I probably wouldn't be using both bags together. Thanks again.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Explorer2, congrats on the duffle! Photos welcome! ;-)

I think the fabric strap pairs well with the lighter weight and feel of the tin cloth. Just like you might wear a fabric belt with summer weight pants. Also functionally, the fabric strap is very comfortable. I have one on my very heavy large travel bag and it distributes the weight of the bag over a larger surface area than the leather pad on the leather strap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads