Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0035.JPG Killing time at the airport and thought I'd post a few closeup pics of the medium rolling carry-on.

You can see the plastic parts and wheels- very good quality.

Really like this bag.

2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Mgrennier, the close-ups are great. It does look like very nice bag.

My only question to the customer service rep is why did they now feel the need to move the production to DR based on the plastic, wheel expertise if Filson had been making the roller bags in Seattle for years?

The overseas production on a roller bag would bother me much less than on a duffle or other non wheeled piece.

3. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

He even included measurements & condition. How thoughtful.

"Excellent condition! No tips or tears.

Slightly wrinkled.

10" wide

13.5" tall"

5. speedy611

speedy611 Active Member

IMG_3299.JPG Welcome to the weekend. Some of my bags. Happened to be out as I was cleaning my closet.

6. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

The lumberjacks from 1938 called. They want their stuff back.

NICE!

(Please disregard if you are an actual lumberjack).

Sweet stuff. A man who likes quality...

7. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

8. speedy611

speedy611 Active Member

Oh, sorry just seeing this. I was in the woods sharpening my axe.... :)

On Quality - Yes. I'm very fortunate.

9. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

LOL and for the low low price of $13.73 it can be all yours to have the privilege of eventually recycling it.

10. letsi

letsi Senior member

I would say waxing the bag could help to bring back some of the dark tan color, how dark it gets depends on the amount of layers you apply. I made a tub of home made wax couple months back (20% bee, 80% Paraffin) and applied it on my 14 year old 256 (made in Nov 2003) recently when I laundered it due to dirt and smell.

Here's an album of the re-proofing. http://imgur.com/a/7kcIF < link for those interested.
    Will just post a couple of pictures here:

Notice the bottom corners where the white twill is showing

[​IMG]

Bottom panel waxed while top area un-waxed under the handles

[​IMG]

100% re-proofed, 4-5 coats of my home-made wax in general.

[​IMG]

14 year old leather straps - underside:

[​IMG]

< 3 year old leather strap - underside:

[​IMG]

Hope the recent consensus that quality has improved together with the recent price adjustment (have lost count of the number of price adjustments these couple of years) is right.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 7:42 AM

11. Flo3000

Flo3000 Member

Dear letsi,

thanks a lot for your advice. Actually this is exactly what Filson CS also adviced me.

Did that two days ago, and yes, the twill was dry like a dessert ...

Thanks a lot
    flo

12. letsi

letsi Senior member

No problem. Glad it worked out for you :)

13. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

I'm in need of some of your expert advice. I am in the market to replace my trusty but OH SO COMMON AND BORING Samsonite Carry-on suitcase with something more unique (at least here in Jersey) and can develop a nice Patina over the many years I plan on using it. I plan on using it for weekend travel, week long vacations (driving & flying), and everything in between. I have a 257 (we'll discuss that later as its a whole other topic). I am looking at buying a Medium Duffel...the old Medium Duffel. I'm not a fan of Filson's questionable reliability & leather quality choices ever since they were bought out by Bedrock (retiring the "Might as Well Have the Best" slogan). That, again, is a whole other topic. I have my eye on a medium duffel (23" version) and realize that I won't be able to carry it on flights without compressing it some. It has Talon Zippers, Pad-less shoulder strap, and the exquisite old bridle leather. I am worried however for my shoulders, I dislocated both my shoulders (not at the same time..ouch) and my strength is not all there, even though I have broad shoulders and a 6 foot athletic frame.

In your expert experience, will having a #257 on one shoulder and a old medium duffel on the other (or in my other hand) be too much of a burden travelling?

Can you think of any other option for me? I'm not interested in the Sportsman or Medium Travel Bag (not a fan of the way it carry's) or of the Pullman (way too heavy). I'd much rather have a Filson, but I thought of Frost River's Bushcrafter Royal Isle Jr's Backpack, but not sure of that one. Might be another animal with a different bite
    https://www.frostriver.com/shop/canoe-camp/isle-royale-bushcraft-packs/

I'd like it to be both business casual and leisure wear friendly (the joy of a Filson) and be USA Made and come with a lifetime warranty. It would also need to be non-leather or ballistic nylon (it can however feature some leather: handles and shoulder strap)

Thanks guys

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM

14. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

OtterMeanGreen,
    It's hard to say what's "too heavy" as it's dependent on so many factors. However, I am currently on a trip to Europe with one of the heavier old bags - a large travel bag (248) from 2009.

Fully packed for a week plus and it's tolerable to carry around the terminal. I switch between carrying it as a tote with the long handles draped over my shoulders, the shoulder strap and finally just by the handle so I never get too fatigued in any one position. I also packed it using packing cubes lengthwise so that the bag doesn't get too square and wide. You kinda get used to carrying it after a while just like one gets used to weight of a full backpack on a hike.

Before this trip, I thought it was too big, but I have grown used to it. It's about the size of the current medium duffle, actually but with squarer dimensions.

On the full flight from London to Rome, they were making people check all the 20inch plus rollers but I just walked on right through without a second glance from the flight attendant.

I have the "old" medium duffle too. I use that primarily as a checked bag.

My "personal item" bag is a canvas briefcase but of lighter construction than a 257. It works okay to carry it with the 248. I have had a Frost River bag before. Good quality but never enjoyed 'em as much as Filson.

I think either the new or the old Filson medium duffle is a great versatile bag.

15. speedy611

speedy611 Active Member

@OtterMeanGreen - I agree with Soltrane. Effectively it isn't going to matter which bag you buy - you are still going to have to carry it. You can switch between handles and the strap and the shape will affect how it sits against your body - but essentially you've still got it hanging from your shoulder at some point. Only you can really determine how much load you can bear vs how little you can pack and still be suitably equipped for whatever you are doing.
    I guess the functional alternative is a Filson roller bag which mgrennier has been posting about above. Got to be worth thinking about at least?
    Assuming you can reconcile the weight / shoulder issue and still want a bag not a roller- medium duffle is flexible for size, but actually not much else. No pockets, not easy to find stuff in when full. You say not a pullman - but why not? Good shape, easy access, external pockets and just looks classy as anything (yes, I have one). And if size is a concern then look at the smaller version. My standard Pullman can swallow a vast amount of stuff- I travelled to Europe for a month with it once. So the small could work for week long trips etc.

One last thought. Does a 2 bag approach help? Switch out the 257 for something a bit bigger (48 hour duffle?) and use that plus (say) a small duffle to distribute the load and provide more flexibility? Shorter trips with the small duffle plus 257 and super long with all 3 bags where you check one if you have to...?

Interesting problem - keep us posted!