• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier, there have been times when I have seen those road warrior guys effortlessly push a spinner or pull a roller, and I think what I am doing with this heavy @ss duffle?

Definitely, would go roller if I was in a role where I had to present to clients or sell my services (roller keeps those suits more pristine).
But at the end of day, I don't. And I think there's something traditional and masculine about a canvas duffle against the rolling sea of black nylon. Maybe if only because you got to be in reasonable shape to carry 25-30lbs on a shoulder strap for an hour or two!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fully get it and haven't used a roller bag since my vacation trip to France/Italy in 2015. (There I used an Eagle Creek lightweight one from REI- since returned). Light weight was our driving goal. I also carried my Sportsman to make myself feel better
:)

We will see about this roller. It does have a nice look and does NOT look like every black Samsonite piece of crap out there. Also- it takes an extra minute to buckle down the front straps so that is a good thing in that it's inconvenient but cool.

Slows me down a bit.

Who knows? I may never use the damn thing but I have it if I need it.

I see myself mostly carrying the medium duffle but now you have me thinking about the small duffle. Damn you!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small duffle doesn't have many features so I won't try to sway you. ;)

But...it's comfortable to carry even fully loaded, fits in any size overhead bin (or even under the seat in a pinch), and can carry a lot of clothing for its size.

My emerging m.o.: if I can't fit it in the small duffle than I use the medium duffle (the older larger version) and just check it. But most of the time, it fits.

motosacto

Reaction score
Coincidentally, the catalog came today. And sure enough it specifies "imported".

View attachment 793335
Sigh... I have about 500,000 air miles on my tan rolling carry on bag. It has been very solid and is finally breaking in. In the 6 years since I bought it, they have jacked the price up $200 and they're not made in the USA anymore... so they're turning into a higher priced J Crew?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0158.JPG
Sigh... I have about 500,000 air miles on my tan rolling carry on bag. It has been very solid and is finally breaking in. In the 6 years since I bought it, they have jacked the price up $200 and they're not made in the USA anymore... so they're turning into a higher priced J Crew?
Motosacto -was this you?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took my "heavy tin" medium (the old larger "medium" sized) duffle on a 6-day trip to San Diego. Figured the heck with carry-on (this time) and stuffed it with plenty of work clothes and shoes and checked it. Always pleasantly surprised how much it can hold.

Best part is when you empty it out at your destination, you aren't stuck with a big piece of luggage in your hotel room. As an empty duffle takes up little space.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FILSON in pop culture. Can anyone name a FILSON product in movies, TV shows or just someone noteworthy using it personally? Pictures help.

I'll start with a completely obscure and hard to prove one (as I can't find many pictures, articles or even a special thanks in the cast of the movie).

Meg Ryan: City of Angels. FILSON Product: Tan Rucksack

city-of-angels1998dvdripeng-madeec-avi_snapshot_00-06-55_2012-01-25_00-02-32.jpg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FILSON in pop culture. Can anyone name a FILSON product in movies, TV shows or just someone noteworthy using it personally? Pictures help.

I'll start with a completely obscure and hard to prove one (as I can't find many pictures, articles or even a special thanks in the cast of the movie).

View attachment 800072

Too lazy to provide pic, but Daniel Craig has been photographed wearing the rucksack too.

I think Tom Cruise also used a duffle in the latest Mission Impossible movie.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too lazy to provide pic, but Daniel Craig has been photographed wearing the rucksack too.

I think Tom Cruise also used a duffle in the latest Mission Impossible movie.

Awesome, respect to both those guys. I've seen Tom Cruise use his otter green 256 on a personal basis too. He looks like that thing is attached at the hip (no pun intended lol).

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 800072

It seems any film with a need for a duffel bag chooses Filson. I'm always calling it out as my family rolls their eyes.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Otter Green 256s, I sent mine in again for a repair.

There was a tear on the back panel of my 256 from getting caught in a sliding door track and it was getting bigger.

IMG_20170504_133918.jpg

It looks like they replaced the back panel and also added in a patch on the back where the fabric was wearing down.

DSC02328.JPG DSC02329.JPG DSC02330.JPG

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads