1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. speedy611

speedy611 Member

@DfW - is that actually a medium duffle in that listing? It appears to have open side pockets that I don't think are present on the duffle. Possible that mgrennier can advise here but perhaps is a variant on the older travel bag series?
    As for straps joining underneath, my Pullman is like the image in the auction with the ends sewn underneath and not as a continuous loop.

2. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Speedy is totally right - as I didn't look closely at it. That appears to be the discontinued medium "travel bag". The seller has it labeled incorrectly.

I used to own a medium travel bag - it's a great bag unless you load it up too much. Once you do that, it's like carrying a loaded cardboard box with a strap as the shape of it is very square and boxy. There is quite a bit of extra material too because of the pockets, etc. Making it pretty heavy.

That said, the medium travel bag is still a good bag in the classic Filson style - it works great if you don't overload it.

Thanks Speedy for picking up on those details.

3. speedy611

speedy611 Member

Mgrennier - phew, glad I'm not imagining things. Thanks for clarifying.
    You mentioned above that you were very sold on the new medium duffle. I get it's carry on approved, but looks a bit boxy, especially compared to the old shape. What makes it work so well for you? Thanks!

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

The Tannery/Wilderness Shop in Boston and Cambridge is clearing out their Filson stock at 50% off. Not sure of their stock but you may call and check. I stopped by recently and they had more than a few briefcases and bags sitting around. I picked up the Dopp kit, something I wanted for a while. It came to just under $50 with tax.

Address: 711 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02116
    Phone: (617) 267-5500

5. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Speedy - re: the medium duffel. You first need to understand that for the past several years I have been on a hunt for the PERFECT bag to carry for 3-5 days. I had an old Polo canvas duffle (discontinued now - the Polo Canvas Bedford) that was stolen out of my car.

In fact, it's how I discovered Filson.

I've tried all sorts of bags - some of the ones I've tried:
    Filson Medium Travel bag
    Filson meridian (currently listed on the big auction site)
    Filson Small AND large duffels
    Filson Sportsman
    Peter Millar Drive Performance
    Floto Venezia Duffle'
    Frost River Curtis Flight Bag
    A Herschel bag (too hipster)
    Patagonia/North Face types
    Red Oxx - mini boss or boss - can't remember which
    Other J.Crew, Brooks Brothers, etc. types of bags.

I've been a bit obsessive with the search - even going so far as creating a spreadsheet looking at the dimensions and volume of each bag. A bit obsessive, I'm afraid to admit.

I feel like the new Medium Duffle just fits my needs perfectly. It collapses down nicely when under-packed, but you can over-pack it if necessary (just heavy for long airport walks). It conforms to your body when carrying. The build is super rock solid. it's simple- not a lot of extra pockets - none really except for the two inside on each end.

Additionally - I HATE roller wheelie bags. I've seen too many guys on airplanes try to stuff them into bins. I've shoved the medium duffle into all sorts of small bins.

I also have the Navy color which I think looks striking.

I hope that answers your question - it just really works for me.

6. iroh

iroh Senior member

Don't be too concerned, the brass hardware on filson bags (with the exception of the rivets and zipper pulls) are fake brass. At least that is the case on my rucksack and briefcase. Don't believe me? Compare the filson hardware to real brass hardware on another brand's bag. Or take a lighter and heat up the brass on the filson bags, the fake brass will flake off and show the silver metal underneath.

7. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

I have also bought a lot of Filson bags in the last few years looking for the perfect airline carry-on (for car travel, almost any of the bags work fine). I realized there are many bags that in theory are awesome e.g. large travel bag, but in practice are too bulky or boxy when full and walking around a terminal for an hour and a half.

Most recently, I have been using my simplest one: the small duffle. Since even fully packed, it's still pretty easy to carry for long periods of time. Then I added the journeyman backpack to put all the heavier items on my back (laptop, dress shoes, etc). The backpack - which is fairly discrete in navy - then just becomes my edc when I am at my location.

8. speedy611

speedy611 Member

@mgrennier - you cracked me up with your spreadsheet of sizes, and your market testing of the available options is impressive! I haven't gone as far as the xls, but definitely have compared sizes and volumes. Ultimately, it sounds like you are more than happy with the medium duffle. Sounds like another Filson bag I should take a proper look at.

I was in the London store recently and got the passport wallet, which I'm using as a main cash/card wallet. Really great construction, and it's beginning to conform and soften - shown here about 3 weeks old. Being larger it distributes the cards across it's area, so sits flatter in a back pocket than a bi or tri fold. I thought it worth posting, as I couldn't see many other images of this in use. IMG_3056.JPG IMG_3057.JPG Interestingly I was able to get 10% discount by asking, based on the first customer discount offered on Filson's website. At this point I'm FAR from a first time customer, so I consider it a loyalty discount instead...

Finally, after lots of people extolling the utility of the 261 zip tote, I managed to get one BNWT at a stellar price on eBay. I'll trial it for 2/3 day overnights with laptop for work, where it can double as a day bag for just laptop. Yes, I know I have the 48 hour duffle for exactly this too, but the tote will also be useful for car, beach, errands, grocery etc.

9. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

After years of being a fan of Filson, I finally got myself an Original Briefcase in tan. It's going to replace my 24 bag as my EDC. Starting a new job in a few weeks (lot of travel) so I'm excited to use it for that.

10. letsi

letsi Senior member

might be late to the reply but that looks just like a 246 medium travel bag to me...

11. iroh

iroh Senior member