• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exchange Rate Conversion Scam!!

Karo

Reaction score
Sorry if the title fooled you a little bit, but it is not actually a scam. Have you noticed ebay and paypal have different rate conversion for currencies? I have only noticed this recently, especially for expensive items where you really can tell the difference.

I use ebay.ca and there is always a fluctuation between cad and usd. Recently the cdn dollar has been strong so on my ebay.ca page it shows approx. $1.03usd/$1cad but when I go pay thru paypal, it says $0.989../$1cad.

I know they make money off the rate conversions but do they really have to boost the ebay site that much? When you are using ebay.ca, they really make you feel things are cheaper if the auction is in usd.

Sorry for going on this stupid rant. I just hate myself a little more each time for using ebay or paypal.
frown.gif

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
Sorry if the title fooled you a little bit, but it is not actually a scam. Have you noticed ebay and paypal have different rate conversion for currencies? I have only noticed this recently, especially for expensive items where you really can tell the difference.

I use ebay.ca and there is always a fluctuation between cad and usd. Recently the cdn dollar has been strong so on my ebay.ca page it shows approx. $1.03usd/$1cad but when I go pay thru paypal, it says $0.989../$1cad.

I know they make money off the rate conversions but do they really have to boost the ebay site that much? When you are using ebay.ca, they really make you feel things are cheaper if the auction is in usd.

Sorry for going on this stupid rant. I just hate myself a little more each time for using ebay or paypal.
frown.gif

+ 100. I've noticed this a lot and if you use http://xe.com to look at the exchange rate it becomes very annoying.

Paypal is evil, but I guess a necessary evil in some cases.

alterion

Reaction score
paypal does give you the option of using your bank conversion rate instead though- except atleast for me that is never any better, so its just the way these things work really

penguin vic

Reaction score
That's why I don't use paypal for USD transactions. The rate they offer is horrible.

zshaver

Reaction score
When I used to use paypal, they would just ask for a credit card and I would pay the conversion fee through my Visa, which was only about 1%. I know now that the rate is around 2.5%, so this probly isn't much better. The only thing I will say is that the spread doesn't seem too bad, I'm currently studying in France and the cheapest way to transfer money is using my cdn bank card, which charges 3%+ over the market rate of the currency, which starts adding up pretty quickly.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
+ 100. I've noticed this a lot and if you use http://xe.com to look at the exchange rate it becomes very annoying. Paypal is evil, but I guess a necessary evil in some cases.
For the record, XE will give you the middle market rate which is between the buy and the sell. When buying euro you will never get the rate they show so if you see a 1.51 dollar/1 Euro expect to pay 1.52.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay so - whats the best way to avoid getting hit on currency conversions?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my cc charges 3%. That is, too my understanding, pretty standard. If you can get less than that, great. I don't think you can "avoid" it, unless you use a card from the country you are purchasing from, I'd think.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Ebay is going to show something closer to the mid-spot rate at that time. Obviously, paypal is going to take a spread for doing a FX transaction for you so the rate is going to be worse.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
okay so - whats the best way to avoid getting hit on currency conversions?

Other than opening up a bank account denominated in the currency with which you're paying, not much else you can do. Just because you know what the exchange rate is doesn't mean you can actually get that rate. Transaction cost is always lurking in the background.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
For the record, XE will give you the middle market rate which is between the buy and the sell. When buying euro you will never get the rate they show so if you see a 1.51 dollar/1 Euro expect to pay 1.52.

Thank you for the information. I didn't really know that.

Regards

Clint

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Capital One absorbs Visa's 1% foreign currency transaction. A card with this feature is the best and maybe only way to avoid getting screwed on overseas transactions. Link

That link is almost 3 years old, but I believe the information is still pretty accurate. I use a Capital One card for my Jantzen orders & have never seen a fee.

Here's another, more recent link, which lists some other cards that absorb the fee for the consumer. Link

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics