• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mbloom66

Reaction score
It's just the model number. Oscar is the last
I understand that Oscar is the last but sometimes I've seen that someone says they tried model X but now want to try model Y, al with the same last. For example, one of the Chelseas with the Oscar last model X vs. model Y. Is the model number simply the combination of the type of boot or shoe, e.g., Chelsea boot or monk strap shoe, with one of the lasts?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that Oscar is the last but sometimes I've seen that someone says they tried model X but now want to try model Y, al with the same last. For example, one of the Chelseas with the Oscar last model X vs. model Y. Is the model number simply the combination of the type of boot or shoe, e.g., Chelsea boot or monk strap shoe, with one of the lasts?
Model number is the style of shoe/boot. Can be on different lasts and/ or leathers. 80092 can be Bourbon shell and forest last or brown vegano and Robert last, etc...

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
I understand that Oscar is the last but sometimes I've seen that someone says they tried model X but now want to try model Y, all with the same last. For example, one of the Chelseas with the Oscar last model X vs. model Y. Is the model number simply the combination of the type of boot or shoe, e.g., Chelsea boot or monk strap shoe, with one of the lasts?
My understanding is that the model number is a further level of classification than the style or description. For example, Carmina make a few versions of a chelsea boot and so each version has a model number (https://www.carminashoemaker.com/chelsea-boots-men will show you the different models). They also make a couple of different balmoral boots which is why I added the model number to the description.
Their customisation tool/option allows you to choose a particular model and a particular last. so, yes you can choose a number of different models on the same last or conversely the same model on a number of different lasts.

mbloom66

Reaction score
Model number is the style of shoe/boot. Can be on different lasts and/ or leathers. 80092 can be Bourbon shell and forest last or brown vegano and Robert last, etc...
I appreciate your help but still al little confused. Does model number convey a style, last, and leathers? Is there a list of model numbers?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your help but still al little confused. Does model number convey a style, last, and leathers? Is there a list of model numbers?
The model number represents the style completely independent of the leather or the last.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
You can have a style (see model number) but have it made with various leathers on different lasts.
As an example Trickers stow usually comes on 4497s last but you can have it made on 4444 or 2298 with whatever leather is available.

Carmina number the style but name the last if that’s what’s of confusion?

mbloom66

Reaction score
You can have a style (see model number) but have it made with various leathers on different lasts.
As an example Trickers stow usually comes on 4497s last but you can have it made on 4444 or 2298 with whatever leather is available.

Carmina number the style but name the last if that’s what’s of confusion?
My confusion is just about what aspects a model covers. Is it the basic look before any customizations? Are there specific elements of the look?

miamidoc

Reaction score
Does anyone own both an Oscar and Soller lasted cap toe?

If so do you mind taking a picture of them top down while next to each other? I want to understand what is the difference in the length of the cap between the two

thanks in advance.
Here ya go. Both same model 80459 Soller in black 10.5UK and Oscar in chestnut 11uk. Both are flush against the wall. Note the diff in half size and they would prob be even in length.
67ECC9AC-DA69-4A8D-9009-FCF68C6ADA42.jpeg
3CD3B3F7-A36F-459E-8853-DF82ED84FE83.jpeg

lcdx22

Reaction score
Here ya go. Both same model 80459 Soller in black 10.5UK and Oscar in chestnut 11uk. Both are flush against the wall. Note the diff in half size and they would prob be even in length. View attachment 1511555 View attachment 1511557

Thank you! So Soller cap is slightly longer.
But I was not expecting Soller to look narrower. I know it's half size smaller but looking at the last comparison on the website Soller looks much wider.

Can you comment on this? And do you take Soller 1/2 size down typically?

I only have a pair of LWBs on Detroit. They fit good with exception that the heel is a little wide.

miamidoc

Reaction score
Thank you! So Soller cap is slightly longer.
But I was not expecting Soller to look narrower. I know it's half size smaller but looking at the last comparison on the website Soller looks much wider.

Can you comment on this? And do you take Soller 1/2 size down typically?

I only have a pair of LWBs on Detroit. They fit good with exception that the heel is a little wide.
Soller is deceptively narrow looking but generous inside. I size down at the recommendation given to me at the Carmina store when I tried them on. I have wide forefoot and narrow heel. Three pairs in Soller and all 1/2 size down from my Detroit which is solidly an 11 for me. For some reason they fit as well as my Oscar in 11 but look so much smoother/long on the foot. As the description from Carmina says “a long look” and it’s true. Soller is prob my favorite last next to Rain for dressier styles but it works for casual too. It’s almond with being too Forest last almond if that makes any sense.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Soller is deceptively narrow looking but generous inside. I size down at the recommendation given to me at the Carmina store when I tried them on. I have wide forefoot and narrow heel. Three pairs in Soller and all 1/2 size down from my Detroit which is solidly an 11 for me. For some reason they fit as well as my Oscar in 11 but look so much smoother/long on the foot. As the description from Carmina says “a long look” and it’s true. Soller is prob my favorite last next to Rain for dressier styles but it works for casual too. It’s almond with being too Forest last almond if that makes any sense.

Agree with everything except the sizing. For me, I take soller in my detroit size and feel like detroit is higher volume and fits a little longer heel to ball. Soller heel is narrower than detroit. It's a really good fit for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads