1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Having books on a coffee table is an occurrence that is within the realm of possibility if I'm looking at an interior photo with no explanation and trying to decide whether a person is going about their domestic life honestly in pursuit of whatever enriches their lives, which might warrant their choice in interior decision making. Your problem is that you see all these interiors as ends that are to be emulated, thus your vain efforts to decorate with the input of others rather than live and arrive at such self-enriching ends spontaneously without the need to be validated, the former of which I find fucking stupid and dull and tasteless and boring and crass and materialistic and ugly and humorous.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. StephenHero

So is picking them up and reading them for a hundred hours, you dipshit.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your first sentence is barely coherent.

Your second sentence is factually wrong. You assume I am attempting to emulate "interiors as ends." The problem with your analysis of my interior choices, as well as your analysis of all others', is that you rest your conclusions on prejudicial assumptions about the people using the spaces in question. The truth is, you know little to nothing about my personal life, which is about the same as what you know about the personal lives of the people who own the interior spaces you praise. You believe whatever you want to believe in order to justify your senseless judgments.

4. StephenHero

Hence my baffled curiosity when you ran up from behind and tugged on my shirttail for help with it.

We'll try this again:

If I knew that the photos I posted contained elements of contrivance or vain decoration, I'd gladly ridicule them. Without knowing for sure, I take for granted that certain outcomes in arrangements of things are within the realm of possibility of a person going about their interior designing with no concerns aside from their personal interests and domestic habits.

5. mafoofan

I'd think a competent architect would understand how opening a book to read it is nothing like resting dozens of other books on top of it for years and years on end.

6. mafoofan

If asking for advice on a table lamp is tantamount to asking for help with my personal life, then I am guilty as charged.

7. StephenHero

Guilty.

8. StephenHero

Opening a book to read does considerably more damage. Regardless, this silly little nitpick is beyond the dignity of anybody who primarily buys a book to read, which appears to exclude you. I hardly regret the extensive damage I've caused to my $9 edition of T.S. Eliot poems I've been reading the last week or two.

P.S.: Your coffee table books are stacked on each other in the same manner.

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You guys should fight IRL.

9 people like this.
  10. StephenHero

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I enjoy books. I buy a lot of books.

Whenever I get a new title, I open it up right to the middle, lay it on the floor with the pages facing up, and then I take a big dump on it.

Then I close the book and donate it to the old people.

Unless it's a Helmut Newton monograph. Then I cut out the pages and wallpaper the bathroom with them.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

SH, this book stack thing, what's going on here? If you want to access a book/magazine in the stack, it's a pain in the ass to get to it. Shelves solve that problem. Y U NO LIKE?

Now, if the books/magazines are essentially decorative, then, yes, the book stack pretty much accomplishes the objective. Of course, that fails the honest living test, so they might as well just get rid of the books, right?

3 people like this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

And, Hayward. Man, that's just nasty.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Exactly. If I want a book that is stored in a bookshelf, I can easily identify it and pluck it out.

If I want a book from a stack on the floor, unless the stack is only a few books high, I need to laboriously pull off the books on top of the book that I want, make then into a new pile, retrieve the book that I want, and then either add any remaining books to the new stack, or put all of the books from the new stack back onto the remaining books in the old stack.

Personally, I'll go for the bookshelf option, unless it's just a small stack of five or so books on a coffee table or beside a bed.

15. StephenHero

Or you could just forget that and turn them upright.

16. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Which will damage the books even faster.

Foo is a lawyer. He should have barrister bookcases. They protect the books behind glass and reduce dust, both of which will further infuriate Stephen.

Unfortunately this unit is sold already but there must be more somewhere.

[​IMG]

17. StephenHero

Words escape me.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

lefty

1 person likes this.
  19. A Y

A Y Senior member

That's what you get for keeping your words on the floor.

8 people like this.
  20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I commissioned myself to build myself a bookcase, I use it to store books, alcohol and tobacco. Also, the occasional rare and desirable object. My bookcases are hung on the wall.

And I just used it as a Segway to talk about myself, hope you guys enjoyed.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013