1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ysb, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Except that the Desire HD will have a 900/2100 MHz HSPA/WCDMA radio which is incompatible with 850/1900 MHz networks in the USA. So you'd have a very shiny $700 dumbphone.
    Eh, check your facts jack: http://www.htc.com/www/product/desir...ification.html Network 4 Europe:
    • HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
    • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    Asia Pacific:
    • HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
    • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    HTC also announced that it'll be coming here later this year. No word on carriers.

2. snappler

snappler Member

i love my android so far

3. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

Sorry, but as far as i'm seeing, holymadness is correct. It did pass the FCC today, but from what i'm reading, it's only for roaming reasons. It supports US GSM bands for voice, but as HM said, no US 3G (HSPA/WCDMA). Poorly written engadget article (comments are more valuable)/ Wireless Goodness So it seems that this exact phone isn't due for a US release, but a US version of the DesireHD will be released eventually (if Gizmodo is to be believed). Got a call from the Sprint store around noon saying Evo number four is in. Pretty surprised/pleased it took less than a day. Picking it up tomorrow, hopefully there are no issues with this one. New Epic update became available today, but I had no luck earlier downloading it. Not sure if it fixes the GPS issue, but hopefully it does (insanely frustrating having GPS cause the phone to freeze up entirely, happened twice today [worst times possible]). Samsung should be embarrassed at the number of bugs across the Galaxy S line. No more Samsung for me (after tomorrow [​IMG] ).

4. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Rambo, it's cute that you don't understand the difference between hspa and gsm. Thank you for copying and pasting from the same site where I got my info, thus confirming what I said.

Gravitas, avoid samsung like the plague. They have a long history of producing lemons backed by huge marketing campaigns designed to emphasize hype over substance.

Sent from my iWeiner

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Rambo, it's cute that you don't understand the difference between hspa and gsm. Thank you for copying and pasting from the same site where I got my info, thus confirming what I said.
    T-Mobile uses the 2100mhz band for download. I was under the impression that you'd at lest be able to download.

6. holymadness

That is a great idea. Please do this.

7. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

I just got the incredible for verizon. I am a blackberry transfer. I am liking the phone so far, some things i don't just know how to do with hot keys or swipes or whatever. but my biggest concern is the battery life. i have this appkiller installed but it just still drains so fast. i unplug the phone and it goes to 94% accoring to whatever battery app i downloaded.

any ideas or reccomendations?

8. Althis

Althis Senior member

Hey guys, I have a question and am a little unsure of the answer I have. Since I'm in college, I can't use the university internet connection to use torrents, but I can tether my phone to my computer to use its network. Are companies still able to track the downloading on my computer through my phones internet connection?

Sorry if I'm not allowed to ask this here. I'll take it down if asked.

9. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gravitas, avoid samsung like the plague. They have a long history of producing lemons backed by huge marketing campaigns designed to emphasize hype over substance.

Sent from my iWeiner

Samsung ... I have a Galaxy S, I've been keeping up with the beta firmwares on XDA-Developers, but goddamn it's like Samsung really don't give a shit about their customers. Touchwiz is worthless, GPS doesn't work (STILL!), no 2.2 like they promised ...

I already ordered my Desire Z. Samsung hardware is pretty ok but the way they half-ass their software makes me want to do terrible things to seals.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I already ordered my Desire Z. Samsung hardware is pretty ok but the way they half-ass their software makes me want to do terrible things to seals.
    Exactly why I didn't get that phone. Samsung has awful software and even worse customer service. Rumors of the new Verizon android phone with the (possible) 1.3 processor are swirling. Looks pretty sweet.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

4g HTC/Tmobile G2 comes out in a few days. Was "invited" to go see it on launch. Probably not gonna bother though. [​IMG]

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

4g HTC/Tmobile G2 comes out in a few days. Was "invited" to go see it on launch. Probably not gonna bother though. [​IMG]
    Its actually got a slower processor than your Nexus. Can't quite understand that one myself.

13. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

Yeah, I found it (Epic) to be frustratingly bad, though my little brother really likes it. Of course, it is his first smartphone. He doesn't use GPS, so that doesn't bother him. He's also content with waiting for 2.2 as he has little interest in it outside flash (and he isn't interested in flashing roms, though there aren't any 2.2 yet anyway). I've had my newest Evo for over a week now and, so far so good (it is 0003 with an Epson panel).

Oh yeah, and Swype is fucking ace! Everyone that sees it is amazed, tries it and loves it. If you don't feel like swyping, you can just use it like a normal keyboard. Highly recommended (not on the market, google it!).

Also, picolyl's LED Light widget is my favorite flashlight app by far (and it's free).

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Its actually got a slower processor than your Nexus. Can't quite understand that one myself.

Well, to be fair, most phones have a slower processor than the Nexus One.

15. Althis

Althis Senior member

Here's some more pics of my phone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. holymadness

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/s...r-notificatio/
    [​IMG]

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Who is this a surprise to? App store apps have been caught doing the same thing.

18. dcg

dcg Senior member

Tomorrow is the big day, SERO users! I wonder if Sprint overnight shipping delivers on Saturday....I'll be at a conference in DC from Sunday-Wednesday. [​IMG]

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Tomorrow is the big day, SERO users! I wonder if Sprint overnight shipping delivers on Saturday....I'll be at a conference in DC from Sunday-Wednesday. [​IMG]
    What are you going to get? I'm holding out until Xmas or the new year. Nothing worth jumping in and committing myself to 2 years for.

20. dcg

dcg Senior member

What are you going to get? I'm holding out until Xmas or the new year. Nothing worth jumping in and committing myself to 2 years for.

Going to give the Epic a shot; we'll see how it goes.