• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Your post coincided with me coming to terms that I have short/ wide feet with a high instep and probably am not a good fit for the 5 and 3 lasts. I might just have to try out the 1 lasted Leeds and Bradleys soon!
Thanks. Even the 7 may work for you. I have an old split toe Hancock that feels like it has just as much room in the toe area as the Bradley.

branman1986

Reaction score
Gorgeous. Your post coincided with me coming to terms that I have short/ wide feet with a high instep and probably am not a good fit for the 5 and 3 lasts. I might just have to try out the 1 lasted Leeds and Bradleys soon!

I have long wide feet and a high instep and the 3 last actually fits me very well. The 5 is okay, but not perfect.

Pastor

Reaction score
Still thinking about the price to quality ratio and I was wondering how many people here pay full-price for Allen Edmonds. I have 14 pair of AE's. Of that total I paid full price for 5 of them (Walnut shell Daltons, Cappucchino shell Dundees, Brown Neumora, Brown Suede Cambridge, and Brown calf Fifth Street boot). The others were sourced through outlets and 2 pair were purchased from ebay.

I did get lucky several years back when AE put the shell Bradleys on their website for $250 for a few hours. I ordered and they honored it but I don't count those as being full price.

edit: As an addendum to this I have 7 pair of Aldens, 5 in shell, 1 in calf, and 1 in suede. I paid full price for all of them.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Still thinking about the price to quality ratio and I was wondering how many people here pay full-price for Allen Edmonds. I have 14 pair of AE's. Of that total I paid full price for 5 of them (Walnut shell Daltons, Cappucchino shell Dundees, Brown Neumora, Brown Suede Cambridge, and Brown calf Fifth Street boot). The others were sourced through outlets and 2 pair were purchased from ebay.

I did get lucky several years back when AE put the shell Bradleys on their website for $250 for a few hours. I ordered and they honored it but I don't count those as being full price.

edit: As an addendum to this I have 7 pair of Aldens, 5 in shell, 1 in calf, and 1 in suede. I paid full price for all of them.
I have only paid full price for my two upcoming MTO. And in all honesty, if AE wasn't waiving the MTO fee, I probably wouldn't have ordered them.

Like you, Pastor, I have 7 pair of Aldens, 6 shell and 1 calf. I paid full price for all of them.

jasonmx3

Reaction score
I paid full price for all my AEs. Presently, I only get to spend a few weeks at a time in the US/NYC and that is when I buy my shoes. I don't have the luxury of waiting for a sale to happen or returning any of the shoes that I don't like, so I go to a regular store, choose the pairs that I like (in the exact size that I like) and get them from there. On my last trip (last month), I ended up getting 3 pairs.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still thinking about the price to quality ratio and I was wondering how many people here pay full-price for Allen Edmonds.

Of my seven pair I paid full price for only the Wilberts -- the rest were obtained as closeouts, on sale, NOS eBay, or my fee-waived custom MacNeils. The curse and blessing of really oddly-sized feet is that when I do come across 14AA shoes they're usually marked way down; my three pair of shell altogether came in under $1k.

That said, if I were filling a glaring hole in my rotation (at this point only opera pumps and a black shell split-toe boot with a lugged sole - if only the Portland's 333 last existed in my size...), I'd jump at the chance to pay full price.

branman1986

Reaction score
Still thinking about the price to quality ratio and I was wondering how many people here pay full-price for Allen Edmonds.

I have ten pairs, 3 are seconds I just bought yesterday with the labor day sale, 2 I bought on ebay, the rest were random sales(Nordstrom, the local AE store). None at full retail.

Last edited:

jd13jd13

Reaction score

I think you missed the sarcasm... in addition to the previous conversation details concerning the Portland Boot. To summarize: AE increased the price of the Portland Boot. Some SF members believe this was in response to the community's eagerness. Subsequently, I would guess chinngiskhaan was feeding off of New Shoes1's genuine dislike for the suede strands and is likely playing devil's advocate by attempting to use reverse psychology to get AE into decreasing the price for the suede strands. Assuming AE monitors this thread to the extent that the SF community believes and my train of thought is correct, I might have blown open this attempt at cheaper suede strands in order to clear this misunderstanding.
Actually, both of them where just kidding around.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
My contribution to this thread.
smile.gif
RL Saunders and Stratford Both in snuff suede.

Nice. Did you pick these up as seconds? I'm looking for a suede chukka.

The Stratford, the Sanderson, the Singleton, the Saunders, the Slaton, and the Gatsby are all made by AE.

I know the Sanderson in Tan Calf is popular, but I favor the Tan Calf and Khaki.

CH

Are all of these made on the 2 last? I tried a pair of Sanderson recently and didn't have too much luck so I returned them. Are the Saunders on the same last?

green garden

Reaction score
I have the Townley and 3 pair of Leeds, those Lex are a good looking shoe! Now I feel like I am missing out on something by not having those Lexington's. The opening and vamp length is similar on both however the Leeds vamp sits just a bit higher (taller) and it looks like the opening on the Townley is actually larger because of that. Not by much but still it is a little bit larger. Just got home and grabbed the shoes to look at before I head out again. If you need better detail I can try to take a picture tomorrow but hope this helps.
Cold Iron, yes I would love to see a side by side picture if it's possible. My issue here are 2 things. From a functional perspective, I have a narrow foot and low instep. The higher vamp lets the shoe envelope my foot much better. From an aesthetic point of view, I normally wear slim pants. If the vamp is short, then I think it may show my ankles which would be unsightly. It sounds like the difference is negligible. If you can confirm that as well, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

tampatravel

Reaction score
I've got quite a few AE's and I've never paid full price, unless you include the MTO Neumoks for $199 (a STEAL)

Model Place Bought Price Full Retail
Montecito 6pm.com
$99​
$250​
Neumok AE (webgem)
$199​
$275​
Finch ShoeBank
$175​
$295​
Elgin ShoeBank
$175​
$295​
Townley AE Cleveland
$299​
$595​
Port Washington Amazon.com
$59​
$175​
Park Ave BB ShoeBank
$129​
$368​
Strand ShoeBank
$129​
$345​
Total
$1,264​
$2,598​

Holy smokes that means I've spent $1264 on shoes in the past 12 months that would normally cost at full price $2598.

So that means I'm right at almost 51.35% off.

That doesn't include the eBay purchases of Alden and my Shoe Mart field trip that cost me $399.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Let's see, I think I have 13 pairs of AE's. Of those I paid full price for 3 of them (MTO walnut shell Kenilworth, burg shell Bradley, Elgin). 4 are seconds, 1 from Nordstrom Rack, 1 from ebay, and the rest were discounted firsts.

I don't think I'm that inclined to pay the $345 or so retail price for AE's now because it's close enough to some brands with much higher quality (Carmina, Alfred Sargent, etc.) that the price/quality ratio is a little diminished. And also it's so easy to get AE's on sale, it's kind of hard to pay full price for them.

I had 9 (now 8) pairs of Aldens and paid full price for 4 of them. The ones I got on sale or discounted still cost much more than the on sale/discounted AE's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads